Cars to tow 17-56-2

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
They are both 4 cyl turbo diesel engines. They are both about the same size. They are both very good vehicles. If you can afford the Toyota, I would buy the toyota simply because they hold value like nothing else on the market. They are both very well appointed interior wise. As mentioned in previous posts, The Pajero has 3.0t towing whereas the Prado has 2.5t. Your van weighs in well within both those limits. It's a simple solution. Buy what your heart tells you to buy. Your head can sometimes become clouded when looking at brochures.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Have you considered the navara or pathfinder in the V6 diesel? i upgraded to the navara and have been blown away with the power and torque, tow figures on mid to high 13 too!
Worth a look

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
Soun
Have you considered the navara or pathfinder in the V6 diesel? i upgraded to the navara and have been blown away with the power and torque, tow figures on mid to high 13 too!
Worth a look

Sounds to me that he might be pushing towards a wagon. Maybe a family is a factor. The Navara makes a bloody good work ute but is overpriced for the 550. The Pathfinder is still getting up there for dollars. Still it's another option.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
you now dont have to go the 550 to get the V6 they launched it in the STX in December last year all the same other than fancy stereo and leather, more space too, i could not believe how much more when i went from my Patrol to the STX, better back seat and 1/3 again in the tub which i have a canopy over

wayne

May 21, 2013
orange nsw hate the place
I tow my 17-56-2 ob with a 2004 Nissan patrol has a 4.2lt motor with a bigger turbo its a bit slower than the newer 3lt motors but it will last a lot longer and is a very good motor if you can find one. now and as for 4wding there is nothing on the market that is better and it has a 3500kg tow rated. Nissan all the way for me,

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Hi guys need Help!!! Has anyone had or heard of transmission problems towing with the prado??
Just bought a 17.56.2

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Hi guys need Help!!! Has anyone had or heard of transmission problems towing with the prado??
Just bought a 17.56.2
hey mate i tow our 17-56.2OB with a prado, main thing is dont use 5th gear just stick to 4th (thats manual tranny) reason is 5th is overdrive and box wont cope too well. not sure what the ratios are in an auto but i would imagine something similar (knock it back a gear)
ps i am no expert but thats what i have heard/read, you must make your own mind up.
cheers
tony

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
@seanparky.
Yes, Our old prados gear box overheated on our last trip towing our 17.56.2. Might have had alot to do with the 46deg day and towing up Cunninghams gap in Qld. We always take it easy going up steep inclines bit this day didn't seem to matter much. left a foul burnt smell on the cabin, had it checked and oil replaced as soon as we got home. Every thing was ok. Apart from that never had any other issues. Highly recommend the Prado.

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
@seanparky.
Yes, Our old prados gear box overheated on our last trip towing our 17.56.2. Might have had alot to do with the 46deg day and towing up Cunninghams gap in Qld. We always take it easy going up steep inclines bit this day didn't seem to matter much. left a foul burnt smell on the cabin, had it checked and oil replaced as soon as we got home. Every thing was ok. Apart from that never had any other issues. Highly recommend the Prado.
+2 for the prado

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Me +4 for the prado...
Ours tows the 18 no problem, I just leave it in drive and let the box work out what gear it needs to be in. I don't lock it in gear.

HM