Cars to tow 17-56-2

Wheato

May 6, 2013
I currently have a 2009 Diesel Pajero and am looking at replacing it with either a 2013 Toyota Prado GXL Diesel or a 2013 Diesel Pajero. We have and will be towing a 2012 17-56-2 Outback. Can anyone offer advice about the Prado? Thanks.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Wheato, Welcome to the forum.

You have listed 2 very capable vehicles, really it would come to personal choice. May be think of insurance, running costs, servicing costs, fuel range, seating variations and so on pending on what you'll like to see back from your selection. Cheers Pace.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
We have the prado and love it we done a half lap last year and it didn't miss a beat. We got ours fitted with air bags and it sits pretty much level in tow. go the prado.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Looks like I have the same combo as Chooka, colour and all!!! My 2011 Prado is TD auto and handles the van quite well. The diesel has the torque to maintain speed up to all but the steepest of hills. We towed our 17.56-2OB about 2000kms over Easter and it did it with ease. I am looking to update ours to a 200 Series, however it has nothing to do with the way it tows our Expanda. If I was going to keep it I would probably put airbags in the back of it to level it out.

One thing to remember with the Prado though is it has a larger fuel tank than the Pajero and over the Easter trip I was using approx 16.5L/100kms. If $$$ concerns you, the Prado has great resale value. On my old 120 Prado I sold it with 98000kms on the clock and bang on three years old and lost under $10K. The old magic T badge on the front!!!

Which ever you choose should be more than capable of towing your Expanda

Reactions: Ch00ka77

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
We got a 2010 Pajero and love it. We went to Tasmania at Christmas and did around 6500km towing the van with an average of 14.5km/100.

When I bought the Pajero I went to Toyota and looked at the Prado but it was over $10000 dearer than the Pajero at that time but I have seen here in Qld they are selling 2012 Diesel Auto Prado’s for $60900 and about 2 weeks ago I seen in the paper a 2013 new Pajero Auto Diesel for $54990.

Resale value might be better on a Prado but you will end up paying more to start with so maybe the amount you loose on a Pajero might be comparable, but either of the vehicles will do a great job.

Good luck
Duncan

Michael_BNE

Dec 1, 2012
Brisbane
We have a 2012 Prado TD Auto towing a 17.56-2OB with airbags fitted. Tows very, very well and the advantage of the extended range with the larger fuel tanks is well worth a look.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
G'day Wheato, and welcome to the forum. We have a the same as you and are really happy with the Paj. We will be doing suspension in the future as it is completely standard in that aspect. We have only had it approx 9 months and have towed our 17.56-2OB a few times and happy with the way it has towed. Averaged 16-17ltr p/100. I did look at the Prado before buying the Paj and the advantages over the Paj where the live rear end and also the large fuel tank up to i think 180ltr maybe 150ltrs in the new models(great for touring range). I think they both have the same tow rating. Only thing recommended is that you use a WDH.
But at the end of the day for me i could not justify the extra $$ for the Prado.
Both great vehicles IMO. I feel a can of worms being opened...again.
Cheers
greynt

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Wheato, Welcome mate, like the others I think you would be happy with either, but we are very happy with the 150 series TD Prado. Pulls our 18" comfortably and the 150l tank has come in handy. Without van I have driven from Cairns to Brisbane without refueling along the way. With van in tow we get around 16l/100km but obviously varies depending on conditions. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. If I was in the market again I would go the Prado again, very happy with it. HM

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The only thing with the Prado that could be an issue is the 2500kg towing limit.
A well accessoried 17.56-2 OB would come very close to an ATM of 2500kg, or possibly more.

Reactions: Michael_BNE
Another vote for the Prado - We picked up a 2012 TD Altitude when they were around - Very happy. I did fit a WDH when I picked up the van, but will go to airbags in the rear at some stage I think. We haven't done any long distance towing, but we've made our way "through town" in Newcastle, and a bit of driving up the Pacific highway and it was great in both scenario's. I'd never say no to more power, but I don't think it's underpowered.

Reactions: Michael_BNE

ozexplorer

Apr 14, 2013
nah no WDH didn't want another thing to disconnect and plus ours is fitted with the tregg hitch. Do you use the WDH?
We have only been towing a outback eagle, have ordered a 17.56-2. Just interested what to use. Thanks

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
The only thing with the Prado that could be an issue is the 2500kg towing limit.
A well accessoried 17.56-2 OB would come very close to an ATM of 2500kg, or possibly more.

That is true!! our 17.56-2OB had an ATM of 2456kg. We had a fair few accessories installed from factory including simplicity which adds a little bt of weight... We used to tow it with the Triton (2500kg towing limit version) with airbags only, no dramas. When we got the cruiser, all we had was upgraded suspension and it towed fantastic!!

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
I know this isn't what you asked for but does it have to be a Prado or Pajero? The Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe are basically the same car and they are amazing. My wife had a Sorento and for the money they are hard to top with the self levelling suspension and every accessory you can imagine for lots less than those two. The little 2.2l diesel puts most engines to shame and will out power and out torque both your options I think. Then they are like a space-age cocoon when driving around town.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I know this isn't what you asked for but does it have to be a Prado or Pajero? The Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe are basically the same car and they are amazing. My wife had a Sorento and for the money they are hard to top with the self levelling suspension and every accessory you can imagine for lots less than those two. The little 2.2l diesel puts most engines to shame and will out power and out torque both your options I think. Then they are like a space-age cocoon when driving around town.
What is the tow limit for these? I had a feelng they were around 2.2 ton.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Santa Fe and Sorento are both 2500/750kg (Manual) 2000/750kg (Auto)
Cheers swifty. I guess this brings up a good point. Auto or manual? I know i much prefer an austo when towing. getting offthe line with over 2t is hard work on any clutch, especially when on an incline. Just a whole lot less stressful with an Auto.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Can't go to wrong with either of your choices, and probably the other suggestions too. Between the Prado and Pajero they are both great. . As Matty said the Paj has 3 tonne tow limit but tow ball download limit Over 2.5T .The Pajero has more poke and it is noticeably more, of course you can chip a Prado if that's your thing. You can add an extra tank to the Pajero for about $1200-1500 and gives you the range of the Prado. So it comes down to your preferences really, as I found out.

Fwiw

Prado is finished better, certain things on the Paj are poor quality, it rattles more etc.
Paj goes better, much better
Prado is quieter
Prado is roomier
Paj has more storage room, you can remove third row seats in seconds and utilize extra 90 litres of space.
Prado has bigger tank
[dons flame suite] Pajero has a more reliable driveline, very few injector issues , driveline failures etc reported on Paj forum. I think the D4D is better now but the Paj driveline is well sorted and proven.
Paj has the better transmission, seems smoother same Asin 5 speed from 100 series Crusier.
Paj seats are sh1t

you can go on and on, was no secret that after Toyota launched the heavier 150 series and raised the price they gave Mits a free kick with the Pajero. And many who would never have considered one before jumped in and found they are an excellent vehicle. Toyota appear to be sharper with the Prado now.

I guess if it was me the telling would be the van weight. They are only going to get tougher and more vigilant about GVM s etc. unless you can be positive you can keep your 17footer under 2500kg I would steer away from a Prado, but make sure you can keep your hitch weight under 180 kg for Pajero.

Good luck.