Caravan Park Advice - Melbourne

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
I do not know if my reply worked, if it did not Ashley Gardens is much closer and a pure toursit park. Make sure you book.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
A question for all but particulary our Southern members, looking to stay at either of these parks prior to jumping on the Spirt of Tasmania.

Anyone suggest which one would be preferable in terms of location and ease of getting to the wharf on a Satruday afternoon?

http://www.melbournebig4.com.au/

http://ashley-gardens.vic.big4.com.au/

Thanks

Marc

Was the boat to Tas expensive? i looked at that a year or so ago and worked out its cheaper to fly the family over!
Cheers

Feb 1, 2012
Was the boat to Tas expensive? i looked at that a year or so ago and worked out its cheaper to fly the family over!
Cheers

I would be liar to say that its cheap however, the overall cost in comparison to flying over is dependant on a number of factors. One of the factors is of course how long are you going to stay on the Island for? That is one of the reasons that we have opted to be in Tas for a month and if we could have managed it we would have stayed longer. One of the other factors is where you are flying from.

So all in all when we did the maths it still was cheaper to drive and catch the Spirit then it would have been to fly, hire a car and pay for motels etc.

Like I said however, you have to weigh up lots of things before you take the plunge.

Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. After thinking about it we have decided to hit the little Island a day early. So the plan is to drive from Newcastle to Albury, then the next day we will drive to Melbourne to get on the Spirit that afternoon.

Any suggestions for the overnighter around Albury?

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi NK,

I live in Wangaratta, 45min further down the road. Great town with nice parks and walking tracks if you need to walk the legs out. Painters Island caravan park is right on the river with a walking track and bridges direct to the CBD. 2min walk and you would be there, so you may not even need to unhitch? I have never stayed at the park, but it looks o.k. for an o'night stay that is for sure.

Kev

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
We took our 12 in march 2011 both ways during the day which was cheaper ( no cabin ). It cost $880 return. As was said we stayed a month. The big plus is that there are lots of free camps thus reducing the cost. As well a lot of them are at some of the best spots away from towns. Some people had been over there for 3 months especially Q'lders escaping the heat. Plus you only have to drive one to three hours to get to another great spot.

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
We are booked to go in October with our 12 footer and cost is $1528...a bit dearer than March 2011 (This is both ways, with a twin porthole cabin). We are going for 2 weeks. Even with staying in caravan parks, we will be better off than flying over / hiring car / staying in Motels. I guess it's a fair bit of money but will be great to spend some time in the van! Can't wait :clap2:

Feb 1, 2012
Hi NK,

I live in Wangaratta, 45min further down the road. Great town with nice parks and walking tracks if you need to walk the legs out. Painters Island caravan park is right on the river with a walking track and bridges direct to the CBD. 2min walk and you would be there, so you may not even need to unhitch? I have never stayed at the park, but it looks o.k. for an o'night stay that is for sure.

Kev

Thanks mate, I like the look of that place albeit just for the night. Not sure why I just did not want to stay in Albury.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Cheers

Thats what we did - I took the day boat over at 6am. The missus and kids took an afternoon flight, and I met them at the cvan park in Launie.
Same on the way back. Worked a treat for us from Melb. When jetstar flights are $49, a seat on the boat $170, plus having to listen to kids complain about feeling sick - no brainer :)