Caravan Mover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I suppose if need be you could rig up a lead and power it from the tug via an Anderson plug, then you wouldn't be giving the van battery a canning.

Weve just had the biggest Gully Raker, my van needs an anchor and floaties, hell its wet here.

Reactions: bigcol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Been bucketing down on the Goldie for the last couple of hours, too wet to even go and check the gauge. :rain: @Bushman, are you holidaying up here at the moment? :boink:

Look out your window, if there's an extra van in your drive way, it isn't me, mine is happily sinking into the back lawn with all the damn rain we are getting. daily afternoon storm.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@Simon The Jayco ones cannot go on the Jtech suspension, although I heard Purpeline can..
We probably have to put down cement for it to get up the hill not grass/rocks.. :(
I doubt it. The trailing arm woukd get in the way, and the suspension travel (if put behind the wheel) will likely disengage the rotor from the wheel.

My decision was easy, I couldn't fit an OB model under the carport and the j-tech on the tourer model was going to put the van too low on the road, so Underslung leaf spring was my only option.

Luke14

May 4, 2014
Ballarat Victoria.
Purpleline have fitted lots of movers to the JTECH suspension including mine without issues. The ones I have seen have only been on single axles though.

Last edited:

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Purpleline have fitted lots of movers to the JTECH suspension including mine without issues. The ones I have seen have only been on single axles though.
I was referring to twin axles, but I didn't realise this could be done on a single. Can you take some photos and post please? I am interested to see how it fits.

Luke14

May 4, 2014
Ballarat Victoria.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
I was referring to twin axles, but I didn't realise this could be done on a single. Can you take some photos and post please? I am interested to see how it fits.

Ok Simon hopefully these work. I don't have a lot of room around the van to take good photos. I take the motors off when I don't need them. There is one bar that runs across and although I have lost some clearance there seems to be heaps for the amount of off-roading I do. The bar is far enough away from the suspension arm to never come in contact.

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
I have fitted a set of Purple Line Ego units to my 20.63.1 OB. Easy to fit as the chassis already had the mounting points for the Reich movers ex-factory. Need to fit a dual battery as the drain from both units was a bit beyond what I was comfortable with from a dual unit. I do have the full step by step photos from when I fitted the unit that I am happy to post if anyone is interested. I use the units to get my van up into a tight spot at home - not necessarily while we are on the road although they are great for minor repositioning. With the OB units the deeper tread of the tyres make turns a little tricky as the knurled rollers "flick" off the tread reducing the grip on the wheel. Standard tyres with minimal tread depth would be a better match for these units. The other issue is that when you have a bit of weight on the ball, and you are on a soft surface - the jockey wheel wont easily spin to the correct orientation to commence the turn - so you can have a wheel at right angles to your turn in soft ground resulting in a bent jockey wheel shaft - most embarrassing. The trick is - full the rear water tank, lower the wheel right down to reduce leverage, and only use on hard surfaces. Having said that - with 200kgs+ on the ball, even on hard surfaces, you will struggle to get the jockey wheel to do what you want. Note that my jockey wheel is centre mounted so being set back 300mm or so from a front mount. I suspect that being closer to the fulcrum (wheels) there is more force on the jockey wheel.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@Macropod have you thought about an upgrade to a heavy duty jockey wheel? Only problem with mine is that it's heavy at 16kg and large. I strap it to the inside of the spare wheel when moving.

@Luke14 great pics, thank you! If you are getting your treads dirty that high up you are into camper trailer territory I reckon! Was this fitted in the Jayco factory? How long does it take to remove the motor/bar assembly? While I like the extra space in our 17, I may have been persuaded to get the bunk model in the 16 as an OB with the jtech had I known this could be done.

Luke14

May 4, 2014
Ballarat Victoria.
@Macropod have you thought about an upgrade to a heavy duty jockey wheel? Only problem with mine is that it's heavy at 16kg and large. I strap it to the inside of the spare wheel when moving.

@Luke14 great pics, thank you! If you are getting your treads dirty that high up you are into camper trailer territory I reckon! Was this fitted in the Jayco factory? How long does it take to remove the motor/bar assembly? While I like the extra space in our 17, I may have been persuaded to get the bunk model in the 16 as an OB with the jtech had I known this could be done.

Hi Simon, the mover wasn't Jayco fitted as we didn't think we would need it, until we realised how tight it is to back into its parking spot. It only takes seconds to remove the motor as they have one pull out pin and then you just lift it up and remove.

Reactions: Simon

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
Hi Simon,

The wheel that folded in half was a dual wheel heavy duty unit. My issue is ball weight combined with dual wheel combined with OB tyres. So for now - its hard surfaces and more or less straight lines (which is all I need anyway).

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have fitted a set of Purple Line Ego units to my 20.63.1 OB. Easy to fit as the chassis already had the mounting points for the Reich movers ex-factory. Need to fit a dual battery as the drain from both units was a bit beyond what I was comfortable with from a dual unit.
I do have the full step by step photos from when I fitted the unit that I am happy to post if anyone is interested. I use the units to get my van up into a tight spot at home - not necessarily while we are on the road although they are great for minor repositioning.

@Macropod mate, it would be nice of you could put those step by step pic's up......
I think there is a fare few people who would be very very interested........
I know at the moment, it is not a requirement for mine - but thinking of future.............

cheers

Reactions: Simon