Caravan covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Hi all,

We have been looking into buying a cover for our expands when it arrives. I have been looking at the covers on eBay. For a 16"-22" range about $180-$250. Has anyone purchased any of the cheaper covers? Any recommendations? The caravan will not be stored undercover, so the only protection will be the cover when not in use.
Thanks

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
Hi
I bought a cover off ebay for my expanda. Can't remember the company but its silver in colour. It is not waterproof. I had it on for last winter and when i took it off there was a bit of mould on the roof of the van. Also some of the silver colour had transferred to the van. This washed off so was not a big problem. I now leave the cover off in winter and put on in summer to stop sun damage.

wizzer

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
Hi,

We had a silver "Prestige" brand cover for our old Expanda and like wizzer found that it wasn't water proof and starting getting very dirty & moldly underneath, on and around the roof area.

I found a brand called "Stormcovers" (google it & you'll find it) which claim to be totally water proof. We may go with this one when we get our new van, only downside is they are alot dearer but you "get what you pay for".

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks for your feedback. Do u need a cover over the winter? Has anyone stored a caravan with no cover in winter? They sound like they r more hassle then what they r worth.

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
Thanks for your feedback. Do u need a cover over the winter? Has anyone stored a caravan with no cover in winter? They sound like they r more hassle then what they r worth.

My personnal feeling is the sun does more damage in summer then the rain does in winter. But i live in Perth where it doesn't rain that much. Dont know if a better cover would guard against hail damage.

wizzer

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com

You don't need one but it does add protection for your investment.

The storm covers mentioned are great but can be a bit time consuming and difficult to get on without help but they do offer superior protection in the elements.

http://www.stormcovers.com.au/

The other ones are not water proof but provide a basic protection from the elements. As others have mentioned they breath so let water in and are mainly protection from the UV rays etc that was mentioned.

http://coverworld.com.au/acatalog/caravan-covers.html

Hope this help!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
You are 'the wise one' expanda! I really must stop giving out advise on topics i know nothing about:rolleyes:

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
My husband suggested a tarp as well. He thought a tarp over the roof and sides. Peg the sides down so it does not touch the sides of the van. Peg it down with rope and springs. Make a bit of a tent set up.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
You are 'the wise one' expanda! I really must stop giving out advise on topics i know nothing about:rolleyes:

NO NO not wise at all, I just have memories of a tarp my dad used to cover the tinnie it was one of those cheap $2 ones and it absolutely disintegrated after about 3 months in the elements leaving blue pieces of material everywhere and scratching the boat from the eyes rubbing etc!

Every bit of advice is good now matter how big or small as it adds to the discussion!

Tarps are fine just get a decent one and be careful when putting it on :)!!!

And keep on adding your two cents is valued and appreciated around here :)

My husband suggested a tarp as well. He thought a tarp over the roof and sides. Peg the sides down so it does not touch the sides of the van. Peg it down with rope and springs. Make a bit of a tent set up.

Tarp should work ok just be carefull with putting it on as it may scratch the finish.

Spots to be careful of are the eyelets, moldings etc :)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.