16' Series Caravan Cover

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Im waiting for my 16.49 Expanda Outback popup to arrive this month and would like to see what van covers members are using?
Live in Perth and the van will be outside.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Im waiting for my 16.49 Expanda Outback popup to arrive this month and would like to see what van covers members are using?
Live in Perth and the van will be outside.
Hi @David Spencer . We have a 21-64 (2014 model) and bought the new type of cover (begins with an A I believe and designed for Aussie conditions - not the cheapest though). I'd love to give you the name and tell you how it's fared, but it's still sitting in the box waiting to be used. (Caravan is waiting for warrantee work and is still at the fix it shop). I can say though, that I have seen the same cover on a few caravans that I pass each day on the way to work, and the covers still look new. A guy who works at the place where my van is at the moment also had one to try out for the year before stocking it, and says he couldn't fault it. Hopefully it will be as good as he says when we eventually get to use ours.

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We had a Prestige on our previous 16'er @David Spencer and lasted two years..... Can't help with a better lasting one but this WA weather certainly affects them. We ended up building a patio style carport to park the new 17'er under. (Less hassle also ;) )

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Hi David we've had a number of covers over the years both expensive from the dealership and cheap from eBay. The polypropylene, 4 layer ones have lasted between 1 and 2 years. Once the UV deteriorates the top they all fell to pieces. We're in Vic.
On our last van we had a polyester cover bought off ebay. This was on for 2 years and was given away with the van. The boat cover is the same and has been on for 3 years. Only issue I've had was recently a seem came apart after I over tightened and water pooled on the front. This cost $20 to repair.
I'll be buying the same for the new van due Saturday.

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
My last one was around $150 ish. It did 18 months and all of the grey furry stuff on the outside wore off the top only leaving the plastic backing exposed and in need of sone Ashley and Martin treatment.The sides are perfect still, eventhough the area around the aircon looks like someone let off a large explosive fart and blew a 2 feet square hole in it. The strapping perished after 12 months but only on the side that cops the vicious WA afternoon sun. The other side in the shade is as good as new.

I figured that unless you spend a king's ransom or give up your first born, (which thanfully we do not have as would willingly do it) then you pays your money and you takes your chance. I bought another similarly priced one as replacement that still lives in its box in the garage until next time that we use the 'van and then the baldy fart haddled one will get binned. What Is needed from my experience is that someone needs to come up with a better standard of UV resistant material on the top panel only in the manufacturing process to increase longevity and use much better materials for the strapping to prevent me from doing my narna when they come off in your hand after a couple of months. That would provide Minimum price increase for maximum use and durability and hence service life. Wont hang by my dangly bits waiting for the market to do this when the punters will still buy the cheapest and whinge about it ( like me). Caveat Emptor.

Reactions: dagree

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
We just bought this one from our Jayco dealer $290 with a 3 yr warranty, we have it on a 16.49-4 and it fits well.
image.jpg
image.jpg

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Hi Chooky,
What size did you get?
I have a 16 to 18 on order hopefully that's what yours is..

Thanks

MCC

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Hi David we've had a number of covers over the years both expensive from the dealership and cheap from eBay. The polypropylene, 4 layer ones have lasted between 1 and 2 years. Once the UV deteriorates the top they all fell to pieces. We're in Vic.
On our last van we had a polyester cover bought off ebay. This was on for 2 years and was given away with the van. The boat cover is the same and has been on for 3 years. Only issue I've had was recently a seem came apart after I over tightened and water pooled on the front. This cost $20 to repair.
I'll be buying the same for the new van due Saturday.
Hi @JaycoQ , just looking at covers ourselves and wondering if your have a link or name of the cover you purchased from ebay. Thanks, Mrs W

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @David Spencer we just purchased one a month ago with the new van (17.56-2 OB) and the dealer sold us the slightly larger one in the ADCO the 18-20foot instead of the 16-18foot, I confirmed this with them and they advised that as the outback is higher and with the aircon etc it is recommended to get the slightly larger one..........my 2 cents :)

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Hi @JaycoQ , just looking at covers ourselves and wondering if your have a link or name of the cover you purchased from ebay. Thanks, Mrs W

Hi Wanda just arrived today. We paid 220 for the 22-24ft. We found the 20ft a little tight on our last van.
Search ebay
Prestige 22-24ft 300D Oxford Canvas Caravan Campervan Cover.
The seller is avedia (no affiliation)
img20150707_180040.jpg

Reactions: Wanda

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Our eBay one lasted about 18mths, so I bit the bullet and paid for a good one and my thinking is with the 3 yr warranty it should work out cheaper in the long run.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We also have the ADCO cover, purchased from the Rep at Coast to Coast stand at the Rosehill show after he gave me all the info on it, have dealt with the bloke before and knows his products. The size you need is the size you buy, ours was for 22ft external, goes on easily even with the roof top air, also covers the gas bottle and cover at least 3/4 of the wheels.

unlike some covers where you do need the next size up

IMG-20150425-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirke

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I should have mentioned to cover any sharp edges on the van, my van has jacking points for a Trail-a-mate jack at the rear of the wheel arches, they rubbed a hold in the lower edge within a couple of week, I just re-enforced it with the supplied patch kit, also be careful of the awning release lever.