Camps Map

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Lookin good expanda.

i was thinking about another level down for categorizing the areas.
take a look at the map below.
Does it make sense to categories by state and then by region as described below?
for example, I could search by Victoria followed by high country.

region_map_australia.jpg

what about a template for some standard questions everyone has to answer.
For example:
Free camp VS paid.
Amenity section
Site suitability for vans
Pet friendly etc etc

I think that if a template was provided though, it was only for specific sections. Because it is nice to not restrict the personal feel each member displays in their review.

Rating is great, but will people understand to rate the review because they have also visited the same camp or are they reviewing the quality of the review?

The category is confusing when filling in the information for the first time. I did not realize the states were listed twice because the first set related to free camps saw opposed to the second set relating to paid camps.

anyway, overall I think you are on a winner.:thumb:

Attachments

• region_map_australia.jpg
    region_map_australia.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 300

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Lookin good expanda.

i was thinking about another level down for categorizing the areas.
take a look at the map below.
Does it make sense to categories by state and then by region as described below?
for example, I could search by Victoria followed by high country.

region_map_australia.jpg

what about a template for some standard questions everyone has to answer.
For example:
Free camp VS paid.
Amenity section
Site suitability for vans
Pet friendly etc etc

I think that if a template was provided though, it was only for specific sections. Because it is nice to not restrict the personal feel each member displays in their review.

Rating is great, but will people understand to rate the review because they have also visited the same camp or are they reviewing the quality of the review?

The category is confusing when filling in the information for the first time. I did not realize the states were listed twice because the first set related to free camps saw opposed to the second set relating to paid camps.

anyway, overall I think you are on a winner.:thumb:

Thanks for the comments brad it is appreciated....

I have been getting some feedback that the new system is to complicated and people would rather work backwards i.e

1) Look at the map

2) When they find a camp they can read the review

The new system goes the other way around i.e

1) Look at the reviews

2) Look at the map

What I was trying to achieve was a simpler way to find the reviews and I guess from the feedback I am hearing is people would rather click into the map and then read a review if they want to.

Considering this I will look at what we can we do with the map itself to possibly break it down by "State" and then have a marker for a free camp or similiar.

I love the image and areas you have shown but the difficulty will be in the map is joining say Victoria + X + Y + Z.

That will be the most intricate part so I will take a look at doing that instead.

Let me know what you think...

Attachments

• region_map_australia.jpg
    region_map_australia.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 286

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
No probs.
I also think the map is better but thought it was more performance issues that would ultimately stop you from going in that direction.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
No probs.
I also think the map is better but thought it was more performance issues that would ultimately stop you from going in that direction.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Yes performance is a problem and it hard to address purely through a map.

At the end of the day you will end up with a list of maps and you will have to drill down into each one to get the info you are looking for.

This is what i was trying to elimante by forming this list from the reviews and then going to the map.

Sorry if this is confusing but hopefully we can work through this....

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Hi all,

Looking at the caravan park reviews forum there is some really great information in there but sometimes it can be a bit tricky to find some where to visit.

We have implemented a new map system which shows you all of the places people have reviewed on an interactive map and you can see if there is a cost associated as well as click through to the review page.

Currently its 80% complete with the reviews we have received on the site.

Moving forward we will continue to add to the map and we are looking at ways to improve the system.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/pages/camps/

Hope you like it.... :behindsofa:
Hi Expanda
I am loving this maps page. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: expanda

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
On the Places map is there a reason why the Dealers, Free camps & Service Agents all have the same shape and colour for the icon, or is it just something only I'm seeing this end?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thought about it the night I added Jayco Service Agents ages ago. Should have asked the question on the night instead of waiting for the "Old Timers" disease to kick in the next day :doh:

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
How do I respond to this mornings changes in a way that ensures that my comment is seen as humour?

Noticed the changes and just about fell backwards off of the chair. A tad overkill me thinks. I would have settled for just a different colour of the same icon but at least it's different.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
How do I respond to this mornings changes in a way that ensures that my comment is seen as humour?

Noticed the changes and just about fell backwards off of the chair. A tad overkill me thinks. I would have settled for just a different colour of the same icon but at least it's different.

Offend away..

Those changes are actually last nights changes.

This morning's changes have actually turned into tonight's changes. So yes the icons are craps. But they will change soon.

Reactions: dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Looking good. Noticed there is no Jayco dealer in Ballarat but they are most definitely there...

http://www.jaycoballarat.com.au/

Another thing, as I enjoy writing reviews on places we stay I'll endeavor to link these up to the map (See Mt Franklin) where possible or add a new spot if there isn't one (See Lang Lang). Is it possible to get different icons between free camps and caravan parks?

Last edited: