Byron Bay school holidays - 17.56-1

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
IMG_1761.JPGIMG_1762.JPGIMG_1763.JPG
Had our first decent trip away since we got the van in August to Byron Bay for the school holidays.

It started off a bit wet (Yes, our canvas leaked at the front) but it ended up fining up for the last half. Even caught some decent size bream for fresh fish and chips.

We love our van and will be back in Byron at Clarkes Beach park at Easter, can't wait.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Nice setup Pathy. Sounds like a good spot. Make sure you chain up the Weber Q. They can go missing, I have heard. What do you do for lighting inside the Annexe or do you just use the Outside light?
Cheers
Deano

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
Thanks Deano.

Yes, have heard about the walking Weber's. Ours is secured with a stainless cable.

We only have the standard LED awning light though have converted the entrance light to LED as well. Gives plenty of light though am toying with the idea of some LED strip light as well.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Pathy, we just use a fluro, we got from Bunnings. Below you can see the fluro zip tied for another purpose. As for 12 volt camping, I guess we would have to look at LEDs.
IMG_3678.jpg

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Nice one pathy. Just wondering how hard is it to get that bike up on the roof? I was thinking of doing the same but wasn't sure if it would be easy to lift the bike up that far without putting a mark in the paintwork.

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
Hmm, never thought of Flouro's Deano. Could be an option.

The bike isnt too hard as I'm fairly tall and the bike is pretty light though is does take a bit of coordination. Haven't scratched the duco yet (touch wood...)
Though having said that, my Mountain bike which is a bit heavier can be a struggle sometimes.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi P&E,
The setup looks good, how do you find the kakadu annex, we have ordered one with the van also. You mention the add-on room in your signature, did you add any other options to the kakadu that you would recommend?

Thanks

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
We got the anti-flap kit, a draft skirt which clips on the side of the van, rubberised flooring as well as the add-a-room. You get the option of flyscreen colour too and went with the dark one as to be a bit more private.
The only thing which I may get later is an entrance way with a cover on the front.

It bucketed down one night at Byron and not a drop came through.

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
A man after my own heart!

Only better thing looking at expanda setups is seeing a pathy and road bike (apollo
?) in front of it

Be some great riding around Byron aye ?

Well done

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
We got the anti-flap kit, a draft skirt which clips on the side of the van, rubberised flooring as well as the add-a-room. You get the option of flyscreen colour too and went with the dark one as to be a bit more private.
The only thing which I may get later is an entrance way with a cover on the front.

It bucketed down one night at Byron and not a drop came through.

Hi P&E,
I rang allseasons today, and our annex doesn't include anti flap, but does include anti draft and flooring. they reckon the anti flap kit has to be done at manufacture, and can't be fitted later, did you ask for it or did the dealer recommend?
Do you think it is important enough to insist on having the anti flap.

Thx jas

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
I got our annex gear after we had the van for a month so not sure how it has to be done at manufacture??
All that they do is put a clip on the side of the roof and drill a hole in the tube that the awning rolls out on.... (See pic)
image.jpg

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Sorry mate my poor wording, I meant at time of annex manufacture not van. They said most things can be added to the annex after it is made, but not the anti flap. The lady I spoke to mentioned something about some small mods to the vinyl to cater for it. What do you reckon?
What made you decide to put on anti flap. This is our first van and annex so don't have any experience at all.

Pathy + Expanda

Mar 22, 2012
Brisbane
Hmm, it may have something to do with the method of attaching the sidewall to the awning. Can't be sure though.

We got a good package deal at the Brissy caravan show which included the AFK. I think it just dampens down the the amount of movement of the edges of the awning but we still get some flapping in the middle during strong winds.
I think you will be fine without it.

Yes, this is our first Van as well so it's definetly a steep learning curve thats for sure. But it's all worthwhile when you crack that first beer after setting up for the first time away.