Buying an Annexe. Canvas or Vinyl????

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi People.

I`ll be looking at getting an annexe made up for our Expanda 14.4.2.

I`m thinking I`ll choose a canvas annexe because I think it`ll be stronger and not easily torn as I imagine the vinyl ones are.

Can anyone give me the pro`s and cons of both vinyl and canvas annexes, and which one they prefer or have?

I`d like to see others opinions.

Thanks in advance.

CR.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day CR, We have just ordered a canvas annexe for our 14' from Australiawide Annexes. We chose that because of the ability of canvas to breathe as opposed to vinyl and wont have moisture condense on the internal roof. Also trying them out at the caravan show recently, we found the canvas setups were cooler inside, a personal observation only.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks for the tip Chartrock.

I haven`t done a lot of research regarding quotes yet. I have however rang the local Jayco dealer and they told me the price for an annexe for my 14 footer would be $2400. A few weeks ago I went to the caravan & camping show down here in the Illawarra. I spoke to another mob based at Penrith {can't remember their name}. They quoted me at just under two thousand. I didn`t actually ask them whether that was the cost of canvas or vinyl.

If you don`t mind, can I ask how much the canvas annexe will cost you and what it includes?

Regards

CR

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Oops! One more question.

The way I have my van stored at home it`s quite hard for me to roll the awning right out and up.

If you know them, can you give me the dimensions of your annexe when set up.

I know my awning is 11 ft long, but I can't roll it out fully to see how wide it is.

My 16 yr old son is 6ft 5 and it looks like his younger brother is heading that way too.

I`ve bought 2 jumbo size stretcher beds for the pair of giants to sleep out in the annexe and was wondering if they will fit width ways across the annexe.

The jumbo beds are 210cm long.

By the way, I enjoyed your pics and stories from your trips. You stayed in virtually the same site at Port Campbell that we had done in 2008 in the old van.

Enjoy your 14 footer + annexe, good to see another one out there.

CR

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I heard one is better up north and the other in the southern states .
All to do with the moisture ,breathing and rotting so I'm not sure which way but thats the general reason for picking either .
Or I could be wrong :noidea: so :brick: :faint:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day again CR. First up, a dumb point I made in my above post. The internal roof is the awning which is vinyl, so it will still have moisture condense on it. We have a personal preference for canvas but if it gets dirty, it is more difficult to clean than vinyl (it can't be scrubbed like vinyl) and it is also heavier, a full annexe would be a couple of kilos extra.

I'm sorry I can't give you measurements for the annexe as we haven't got it yet but I will be able to measure the width it goes out to. The only problem is we are off in the morning and wont be home till Tuesday sometime and will be off the web until then. I'll post is when I get back unless Moto can give you the measurements beforehand. The guy measuring up told me that the side wall slopes out a bit, so is wider at the bottom than at the top but I don't know by how much.

The price was $2650 and includes the anti flap brackets at each end and a centre roof support, a window and door at the front, a large window at the rear and a single large window on the side wall. It has vinyl up the walls to the windows and is zippered at each corner so all the walls can be rolled up or taken out on poles to make awnings. Windows have mesh under a rollup flap as does the door. Also the draught strip along the side of the van goes up the full height of the aluminium strip down the side (OB model). Finally, as a show special, they included a porch out the front.

As for Port Campbell, we have never been there so I guess you are mixing me with another member.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks for the info Chartrock. I think you`ve influenced me to go canvas,

My old van had a canvas annexe and it never really got that dirty or too hard to clean.

I think with my sons sleeping out in the annexe, vinyl may get a little too hot and humid.

Sounds like you`re getting a very good quality job done with the annexe too. The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Maybe the cheaper quotes are cheaper quality jobs too.

Anyway, be sure to post a snap shot of your set up with annexe/ porch:wave: when its all done.

BTW I mixed you up with Moto Moto with the Pt Campbell site. I was there in 2008 in virtually the same site.

See you again soon. :wave:

CR

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Our annex is canvas which also includes the add on room, great for the porta potty and storage. The canvas cleans up really well and easily with the gernie when you get home!