Electrical BT 50 dual battery relay

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Hey all, hope someone can answer this, just got a 2012 model bt50 gt.
I have a dual battery relay,the type which turns on at 13.5v. I want to use this just to supply power to the van fridge when driving, not intending to put 2nd battery in.
I have researched a bit and have come out more confused with conflicting info.
Can I grab live feed from battery terminal to power said relay, or will doing this cause charge issues due to the system not knowing where power went to? Hope someone has done this and can say for sure.
Cheers
Tony

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @pomtony. I have fitted a double adapter fuse into the ignition circuit to drive a 40 amp relay. This relay supplies power to a fuse block where I can take power to an anderson plug at the rear of the BT50 for the van fridge. It also allows me fit other options that need to switch off when the car stops.

I use a Ctek250 to control my second battery.

Reactions: Delano

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Ok sir I get the fuse idea, i have 1 plugged into a spare ignition powered slot in the fuse box that powers the 2 way and reverse camera. You are saying use 1 to trigger a relay, where are you pulling the live feed from that the relay switches? Are you connecting to battery terminal? Hope that made sence. Thanks for reply
Tony

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Sounds like you have it. The relay is triggered by the ignition fuse and the live power comes directly from the battery through the relay to my added fuse block.

Reactions: Delano

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Ok mate thats great, the reason I asked was, one particular post I read somewhere said that if you take a feed direct from battery, the ecu that drives the charge system doesnt know that the power is being drawn as its not monitoring that feed and so it may think that the battery has got a problem due to losing charge. And then a different post somewhere else said that the bt didnt have a variable voltage alternator whereas the ranger does. These new fangled cars are a pain in the rear nowadays, I was dragged up when you had had points and distributer caps etc. and you could bodge up most breakdowns with some tape and bit of fence wire and some pliers and a bit of stick.
Thank you
Tony