17' Series Broken leaf springs

Rusty13

Oct 11, 2015
Perth
i have now broken the passenger side rear leaf spring twice in the same place (at the back) on my 2012 17.56.2OB. I'm looking for thoughts or advice on this - just limping home with a broken spring and don't want to do this again. After the first time, the guy at the repair shop said this was a common problem because of the weight of the fridge and he also said the springs were on the light side fro the van. So I had all the springs replaced with the next size up - one more leaf, still alko springs, last two trips.

The work the van is doing is the gnaraloo track twice a year. I would say it's a reasonable unsealed road ( it's not a 4WD track), occasionally has its moments. Entrance to campsites can be uneven and involve some rocks being run over to get in. It does vibrate things loose but is basically very easy and you can get a Toyota Corolla in there. The van is pretty loaded, because I have 4 kids - we can't travel light. Tho I would not call the load unreasonable, just food clothes and all the clutter that goes with a big family. I had a swan previously when I had less kids and it never had this problem.

Appreciate any advice on what to do from here. Seems I need to change suspension if not van?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would go to a Spring Shop and get a set made up which would be more suited to the weight and conditions and far better than some generic set.
They don't cost anymore than something off the shelf usually but I think you would find that having all of them replaced would be the better way to do it then they would all working at the same rate.
Jayco would just look in the book and order off the shelf.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep as @Drover said go to a spring maker and discuss. There is a thing you can get done, I call it a "military wrap" on the ends which is where the second spring comes around the shackle as well. So if you break the eye the spring will not dislodge ! May not be necessary or even fit, but good safe guard. The ALKO springs are average I think if worked on there max.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
i have now broken the passenger side rear leaf spring twice in the same place (at the back) on my 2012 17.56.2OB. I'm looking for thoughts or advice on this - just limping home with a broken spring and don't want to do this again. After the first time, the guy at the repair shop said this was a common problem because of the weight of the fridge and he also said the springs were on the light side fro the van. So I had all the springs replaced with the next size up - one more leaf, still alko springs, last two trips.

The work the van is doing is the gnaraloo track twice a year. I would say it's a reasonable unsealed road ( it's not a 4WD track), occasionally has its moments. Entrance to campsites can be uneven and involve some rocks being run over to get in. It does vibrate things loose but is basically very easy and you can get a Toyota Corolla in there. The van is pretty loaded, because I have 4 kids - we can't travel light. Tho I would not call the load unreasonable, just food clothes and all the clutter that goes with a big family. I had a swan previously when I had less kids and it never had this problem.

Appreciate any advice on what to do from here. Seems I need to change suspension if not van?
I that you slashing that wave in your pic if so nice work slater did that to me one day cause I dropped in on him couldn't resist but he got me back slashing right in my face mmmmm loved it will never forget surfing with them in vic

Rusty13

Oct 11, 2015
Perth
I that you slashing that wave in your pic if so nice work slater did that to me one day cause I dropped in on him couldn't resist but he got me back slashing right in my face mmmmm loved it will never forget surfing with them in vic
Yes it is. Surfing with slater - what a privilege ur lucky

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My ALKO 2 ton springs have the Mil wrap on them ( not from Jayco though)and actually after this trip I'm off to the Spring Works in Toowoomba to get them resett as they have sagged a bit, couple of monster holes when dropping off the road to dodge road trains I think gave them a thumping.

Reactions: dagree and Bluey

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I had those wraps on the upgraded springs I had fitted to my old Navara but the top of the curl rubbed the chassis so in the end I had to grind them off. The groaning was horrendous prior to cutting them.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I had the wrong springs put on my 16.49-2. Jayco (as they should have) replaced them out of warranty without question. I'd have a chat to Jayco I think.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I had those wraps on the upgraded springs I had fitted to my old Navara but the top of the curl rubbed the chassis so in the end I had to grind them off. The groaning was horrendous prior to cutting them.

Yeah they can't touch. But the idea is solid if you can use them.

Rusty13

Oct 11, 2015
Perth
Made it back to Perth, long slow and tiring with the broken spring - 1100k picking lines and watching every bump, turn and dip. Anyone know a good spring maker in Perth?