Electrical BMS and Battery Upgrade .... Quandry

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
That's a pretty reliable method for lithium! Each chemistry has an efficiency loss between discharge and recharge with lithium being the most efficient - from memory it's in the range of 1% so, for example, 100 amps out needs 101 amps in to recharge. You can easily confirm 100% SOC by watching the terminal voltage which rises from 13.x volts to 14.4V in the last few %
Agreed @jazzeddie1234 regarding lithium charging. Totally different to AGM charging. I believe that the difference in charging efficiency between lithium and AGM is something like 10% or more. That is 100 amps out needs more than 110 amps in to regain FULL charge, not to mention the extra time needed, Although some good AGMs (Odyssey?) can be recharged from dead flat to 80% charge in a very short time IF CHARGER IS CAPABLE OF SUCH OUTPUT (100A), this usually means more heat than lithium (not good for longevity!!) and of course, the final 20% is very slow for battery to reach the 100% mark..

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Yes AGMs do suffer longevity problems with fast charging. I think 10% (.1C) of quoted capacity is the standard and 30% (.3C) is considered very high. Whereas lithium is .3C (ish) for cheap BMS ones and 1C is common for good lithiums. I use my 30A power supply, the setec and full solar to recharge the caravan and it still takes hours
:o.

• Wow
Reactions: Boots in Action

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Just an update...I mentioned above that since I had fitted the BMPRPO 300 Amp shunt to my battery pack, along with the Commlink Bluetooth receiver, that the JHub doesn't work as it is supposed to according to the sales blurb from BMPRO. The JHub showed the batteries in constant discharge, while the battery level indicator merely flashed full / empty / full / empty...

When I contacted BMPRO while traveling, eventually getting a response after chasing them up, then sending them photos of the set up, they had no answer and suggested I send the Shunt & Commlink back to them for testing.

When I got back from the trip I sent the Shunt & Commlink back to them at my expense of course. Three weeks later, Sunday, I received the Shunt & Commlink back in the mail...nothing in the box just the items...no explanation nothing?
So I emailed them back and asked them...

"Good morning,
I haven’t had any communication at all from BMPRO with regard to my query as to whether the item was faulty, or why I was unable to link the Shunt with the Commlink via Bluetooth as per instructions.
Would you be so kind as to let me know what was found…and why the Shunt and Commlink did not work as intended."
Many thanks...kind regards...

The below is what I received back;

"Thank you for your email.
The BC300 tested well and had no faults found. The Commlink was replaced under warranty due to a fault found with it that can cause intermittent Bluetooth drop outs
Kind Regards,"

That was it... no apologies for the zero communication, nothing...but at least they paid for the return!

Gotta, say, not overly impressed with BMPRO so far. I'll refit the Shunt and Commlink and see if it works as intended. If it does Happy Days...if it doesn't I'll be jettisoning all the BMPRO equipment in the van and putting my own setup in as above...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have noticed while Ive been researching some of these set ups that some add ons will only work with certain versions of the models, might be the case with this lot...

Reactions: Hitting the road

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
True...in some cases older set ups may not accept the newer add ons...so before I spent the $300 odd dollars on the Shunt I checked the specifications and fitment...according to BMPRO the JHub with their BMS should operate as intended. I had also sent them photos of my battery set up, wiring, and the shunt fitment along with the wiring of the Commlink, at no point did a BMPRO say there was any problem. They did suggest trying a couple of things early in the piece which did nothing...so they were across what my set up was. They just suggested there may be a fault with the Shunt / Commlink.
I won't get to re fit the Shunt and try it out until we take the van away again in January...I hope it works as intended with the Shunt and Commlink actually communicating...

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
True...in some cases older set ups may not accept the newer add ons...so before I spent the $300 odd dollars on the Shunt I checked the specifications and fitment...according to BMPRO the JHub with their BMS should operate as intended. I had also sent them photos of my battery set up, wiring, and the shunt fitment along with the wiring of the Commlink, at no point did a BMPRO say there was any problem. They did suggest trying a couple of things early in the piece which did nothing...so they were across what my set up was. They just suggested their may be a fault with the Shunt / Commlink.
I won't get to re fit the Shunt and try it out until we take the van away again in January...I hope it works as intended with the Shunt and Commlink actually communicating...
Unfortunately @Hitting the road, that is "progress" and waits for no one. It is a case of "keep up", or " get up to date with the latest" or" get out of the way" and be left behind!!!

Reactions: Hitting the road

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Unfortunately @Hitting the road, that is "progress" and waits for no one. It is a case of "keep up", or " get up to date with the latest" or" get out of the way" and be left behind!!!
.Progress in which way ??? Progress into how to extract $$ from your pocket yearly as you chase the must have updated gizmo or progress to make your holiday more enjoyable by having trouble free tech, the former I think ..........

Been tidying up and sorting out the lads EH parts, oh the days of simplicity but also the horror memories as I packed and wrapped some old Dizzies and coils, it wasn't all great times, soon as the electronic ignition kits came out I had one in my old Nissan Patrol, GR8 days for sure...... then they ruined it all with all the other techo rubbish which like many things turned a simple repair into a megga job..

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
.Progress in which way ??? Progress into how to extract $$ from your pocket yearly as you chase the must have updated gizmo or progress to make your holiday more enjoyable by having trouble free tech, the former I think ..........

Been tidying up and sorting out the lads EH parts, oh the days of simplicity but also the horror memories as I packed and wrapped some old Dizzies and coils, it wasn't all great times, soon as the electronic ignition kits came out I had one in my old Nissan Patrol, GR8 days for sure...... then they ruined it all with all the other techo rubbish which like many things turned a simple repair into a megga job..
You got that right Ian!! They also call it commercialization. It keeps the economy going!!!! Don't fix anything anymore - just replace it!! The "throwaway society" .

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
When I bought my very first caravan, a 22' tandem axle Franklin back in the mid 70's...I didn't even look at any "off grid" set up...it didn't even have a 12v battery in it. All it had was 3 or 4 x 240v lights....and a basic electric stove...no gas even. I think I paid around $3600.00 for it brand new off the lot...lol. Nothing complicated at all. I lived in it for a few months while fruit picking back in the day as a "permanent" in a caravan park.
I also used to tow it with my EH Holden, as I had done some work done to the car it towed it sort of ok. Sure didn't have GVM's and GCM's to worry about, and as the van had hydraulic over ride brakes nothing too complex. Like what were the Manufacturers GVM and GCM of an EH Holden anyway...did they even have one? As you write drover..."the days of simplicity"...lol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Would borrow my Dads pop top Franklin, little single axle job, on the back of the G60 in the 70's, which didn't even know it was there, had a gas fridge, which thinking back could have done with one of my fridge upgrade mods, lights could be 12v from the Nissan, had a gas stove but that was for our flash camps, usually we were up in the bush on a gnarly FWD track, camping in our tent with Esky and Tilly lamp, great days well before it became the thing to do, if you had a FWD back then it was used as such ............ When we got the Engel it was a truck battery which gave 3 days of use enough for a weekend up bush, bush being only 20 min drive before you needed to lock in the front diff into some pretty good wild country .....................Glad we did it all before they shut everything down and fixed roads up for the yuppie class, now to many creaks and groans to handle jump ups and corrugations thats why I have a yuppie vehicle now...... We are amazed at how we managed to get away so often as I wasn't always around but when home we would be off every 2nd weekend ......................

I don't miss the rough stuff or warm beers one bit though I do like some of the modern stuff.......... just take care not to get sucked in by the PR Blurb, like CDs/DVDs will last forever, yeah right I said...................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yarn the other day with a fella I know at club, he's a very cluey solar- battery fella, wish I had thought of him when I was doing my set up, would have saved a lot of swotting up, he said I had chosen well for my $$ as not all batteries can be hooked up to others and that mine won't be over taxed at present ..... he's had some with batteries in parrellel that wont' work properly or at all as the BMS can't play with other BMS units, its all in the fine print as some can only have a certain number connected and heavy drains like invertors can mean charging up may be problematic as the batteries won't even out charge or settle ... He even said multiple batteries used with high loads need to be individually bench charged to get all with an even charge... So by shear luck I did it right ..... He did mention that I should replace all my panels for same, same and use the old ones on my shed or mod to portable , too hot to try and get him to check mine out, besides no money for new panels, tyres have eaten the piggy bank...

Reactions: Boots in Action