Black debris in toilet flush water

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Also only just found out when I drained our tank is the filler rotates 90 degrees to allow the water to drain from the nozzle. Always finding something new.

Good pick up - I'll have to try this when draining it out next. I keep geeting the mysterous black stuff too...

Just curious - well I can't actually remember from handover - but when you fill the flush tank, is the water level always in the flush-tank filler neck?

Even when my flush tank is empty I have water in the filler tube like there is an air lock - is this normal?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Good pick up - I'll have to try this when draining it out next. I keep geeting the mysterous black stuff too...

Just curious - well I can't actually remember from handover - but when you fill the flush tank, is the water level always in the flush-tank filler neck?

Even when my flush tank is empty I have water in the filler tube like there is an air lock - is this normal?
Sorry...missed your question on the flush tank filler. Yes. Just looks like it's full. You need to keep adding water until your glass tube guage is showing full.

Reactions: Ligedy

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
We also had this problem but my wife cured it by putting in a cap full of Napisan in the rinse tank after a big flush out, we no longer use the pink stuff in the rinse tank, only Napisan, never had black stuff since.....also heaps cheaper than the pink stuff.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I have found now that always draining it, leaving the fill cap off and leaving the level tube off is helping. We haven't had anymore stuff in the flush water.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
We also had this problem but my wife cured it by putting in a cap full of Napisan in the rinse tank after a big flush out, we no longer use the pink stuff in the rinse tank, only Napisan, never had black stuff since.....also heaps cheaper than the pink stuff.

Just wondering if the Napisan will effect the plastic and if it will do anything to the chemical in the holding tank? Will it kill the bacteria that breaks down the waste?

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
Just wondering if the Napisan will effect the plastic and if it will do anything to the chemical in the holding tank? Will it kill the bacteria that breaks down the waste?

Have had no problems at all, my wife Sue read about the Napisan solution on another caravan forum somewhere, and must say we also don't have any waste breakdown problems as I am the lucky one who always empties it out.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
12 months on, using the Thetford Pink rinse, no problems with Algae. Could be many things that are allowing the algae to develop like nutrients in the water, water source, temperature, etc.

Be a little careful about putting chlorine or other antiseptics like eucalyptus in the water as this could slow/stop/kill the microbes that break everything down in the cassette or "The Cauldron" as the kids call it!

Reactions: Xpandafan

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Our porrta potti also has this problem & we use the thetford pink stuff in the flush tank. Hmmm

untill now I normally just top that tank up as required, so it has never had a proper flush out, but in saying that it's only a couple of months old

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a new Thetford pink called "Rinse Plus"
The rep reckons it kills/stops the black algae
I added some to my empty tank (no rinse though) and will see how we go next time I use the van.