Black debris in toilet flush water

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had black stuff come out of there flush water and into their toilet bowls. I have filled and drained the flush tank to the nth degree and it is still coming out. I can see a bit of it in the filler neck but the tank inside must be lined with it. I try to keep the tank empty when not in use.

Is there any cleaners I can put through it, or worse still does anyone know how to remove the tank amd pump so I can clean it?

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
We had a rinse chemical (pink one) do similar but it left pink bits coming out of the flush. Took quite some time to get rid of it through flushing. It was like it went off.
Could your black stuff be from a rinse aid?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
ours is 3 yrs old (almost), never had that problem, and only ever used the pink flush stuff till the sample Jayco gave us ran out
never use used it since, only ever stuck fresh water in there and some times a few drops of quality dish washing liquard, have heard equalytus oil is good too

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We have this problem also. Basically from day one. Have always used fresh water and pink stuff. It only happens for the first few flushes and then clears. I suspected it was some sort of algae growing in the tube. Interesting that some people have never had it. I assumed it was common.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Black stuff in our flush tank to. Time will tell but after Easter I drained the tank and boiled a big pot of water added a little white king and filled the tank and let it stand for 1/2 hour and then drained. Fingers crossed.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
We get it too and van is only just over 6 monts old and always use the pink chemical stuff. I recon it algae so I draied mine and left it for a couple of weeks and it seems to be a bit better now.

Not sure if I really completely drained it though. For all I know there could have been 5mm still in the bottom still breeding algae

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Also only just found out when I drained our tank is the filler rotates 90 degrees to allow the water to drain from the nozzle. Always finding something new.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
And yes we get it too. And I have about 6 litres of the pink fluid as back up. Just in case your wondering, a camp store in Hervey Bay was closing so I picked up 3 x 2 litre Thetford Pink Toilet fluid.
Should last a while.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sounds like the common link here is the pink stuff! Ours is only 6 months old but I've used eucalyptus from day 1 and all good. I was advised to drain when storing to prevent algae growing and the possibility of it blocking your pump. Maybe also leave the filler cap off when empty?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I reckon Chooka is on right track with bit of bleach solution. Never had that problem, but I do flush out annually and do a pull apart clean of the cassette as well. Travel and store with full folding tank (despite Thetford instructions).

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I was thinking of getting some of the holding tank cleaner from Thetford, Aqua Soft I think it was called.

I also saw a vid on the Thetford Europe site and when they showed the toilet flushing the water was very pink!!! When I add the pink stuff to the top tank it barely has a pink tinge to it. Am I not adding enough??? Thought it was 10mL per litre of tank water, hence I add 150ml to the 15L tank. Could be wrong though.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I was thinking of getting some of the holding tank cleaner from Thetford, Aqua Soft I think it was called.

I also saw a vid on the Thetford Europe site and when they showed the toilet flushing the water was very pink!!! When I add the pink stuff to the top tank it barely has a pink tinge to it. Am I not adding enough??? Thought it was 10mL per litre of tank water, hence I add 150ml to the 15L tank. Could be wrong though.

Sounds about right mate, I think I used to only put 100ml in the porta potty. Let us know how you go with the cleaner!

Cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just use the dose on the label and don't worry that you don't see colour in the flush. I now use the Dometic branded one (Could be same stuff relabelled) which was marginally cheaper and works well. I use the blue in the holding tank but there's a green one as well (more enviro friendly). Cheaper to purchase larger quantities (2 litre plus) and decant into convenient size bottles if you can do it with dyeing your hands.:o