16' Series Black Checker Plate

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Has anyone had the same issue with the black checker plate as I seem to have, it has a haze on it that I haven't been able to remove, yet.
I have emailed Jayco and they suggested booking it in to my nearest dealer and they would replace it, I must say I'm not keen on that idea it would be major surgery in my eyes.
I have 2 options; hopefully 1 of you guys or girls have a solution or I live with it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Marco
20141214_Expanda Chequer Plate.JPG
20141214_Expanda Chequer Plate (1).JPG

Reactions: Bonners

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
yeah mine is the same but doesn't look as bad as that. Would be good to see if there is a solution.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
From what I've heard it is caused by poor preparation before paint application.

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
orange goo remover??
Tell me more.
Poor preparation, the consumer spends more time chasing up & fixing, Jayco should do it correctly the first time, a bit, no I wont mention the bed end covers.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
orange goo remover??
Tell me more.
Poor preparation, the consumer spends more time chasing up & fixing, Jayco should do it correctly the first time, a bit, no I wont mention the bed end covers.
This is one Ive got. The other is in a see thru bottle that is the same shape.....just can't find it.
IMG_5797.jpg
we don't have the haze on our checker plate, but we do have 'rough' patches on the van in different parts that aren't as shiny as the rest. will be taking that up with them when it goes in for a first service.

Reactions: mccrlc

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
Wax and grease remove the area(prep wash), and then try something like 3m swirl remover. A cut and polish is probably to harsh for an uneven surface. If you still want to try more you could wet sand it with 1500grit and then try a hand polish again (be careful on the raised edges. If that doesn't work its most likely a chemical/or similar discolouration in the paint that penetrates more than the surface as posted above from prep wash that is not removed from the surface properly before paint. Your remaining option would be then to Repaint it??
I replaced all mine and powder coated them instead of paint, due to damage not a haze.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would do a test, clean down a damaged section with thinners or turps, mask it up so you don't overspray the walls, then just using a spray can hit it with some black auto paint, matt or gloss whatever blends in and feather the edges so it blends in. while it may show up as a patch the idea is to see if after awhile the fault comes thru or any other reaction occurs, then you will have a better idea on what to do next.
Probably have to rub it back slightly with a very gooey soap solution and a scouring pad and respray the whole lot, any abrasive or paint remover is not good for checker plate alloy.

Reactions: 1756mick and bigcol

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I was under the impression the black checker plate was actually plastic, so not painted at all.

But I've been know to be wrong very occasionally..:oops: Just don't tell that to Mrs Soaring...:angel-87:

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was under the impression the black checker plate was actually plastic, so not painted at all.

I've seen both, didn't like the alloy one as it showed up the stone chips something shocking, the plastic just had dents in it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just had a good look on the big screen of the pics, I wonder if when wiping away some excess silastic the apprentice wiped around a bit with the same rag ??????? a turpsy rag with diluted silastic on it leaves the same sort of residue/smear which is a proper bastard to get off...????....(took me ages and a lot of scrubbing to eventually get things sorted.)

Reactions: bigcol

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Thanks for the comments and advice, I will give suggestions a crack and hope fully I get a better finish.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I think I would rather prep it and mask it all up then paint it myself rather than let jayco pull it off then replace. You could also possibly try some gloss clear over it first?

Reactions: Matty4 and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'd say @Turtle is on the money and @17triton has the right idea.

Or just drive from Werris Creek to Premer and wait for a grain truck to come along and scrape everything off the side of your van, then you get all new stuff, but it's a bit of a nuisance actually.

Reactions: dagree and 17triton