18' Series Birdsville or bust

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
Hi all, we are taking the panda for a run to birdsville infirst week or two of August, leaving from Brisbane.
anyone done the trip, comments, thoughts and suggestions all welcome.
thanks

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Have a look at @Holden_mans thread on their Central Australia Trip, for some great tips on prepping the van for dust sealing and protection from rocks. I have had a scupper vent fitted (a pressure hatch in the roof) to try and keep dust out on our trip, I will let everyone know how it works in our post in the coming weeks.
Having the van prepared is the biggest step, then drive to conditions and enjoy the scenery. Oh and have a great trip!

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
thanks all, done too many fatals and death messages to rush anywhere on our roads.
upgraded the Prado to a 200 series even though we were under the 2500kg.
looking forward to sitting under the night sky with a coldie no kids!!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Agree with the others Kingy the best thing is get the Expanda prepared before you head off protecting any exposed water pipes and fittings under the Expanda.

Keep an eye on your tyres and adjust your pressures accordingly. Do you have stone protection for the front of the Expanda?

Also maybe something over the back window of the Cruiser to protect it from going bang.

Reactions: Xpandafan

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
Taking two extra rims for the panda and the 200.
panda going in for a service before we leave, will get the rear window cover organized need to put together a things to do list now!!!!!
thanks cruza driver, always appreciate your input.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
half your luck Kingy. i have done the trip but without a van - still one of the best trips ive done. corrugations were the worst part so dont forget spares for your tow vehicle. i sheared off 3 front wheel studs and limped into Birdsville where the local mechanic wanted $500 to replace. with a bit of stuffing around we swapped a couple of studs from the other side and a mates car and headed to Alpha after the races and had repair done for $80! Another tip is to zippy tie some thin rubber to your shocks as the flying stones can stuff these pretty quick.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Check out my F.A.R.T. trip report it will show what the gibbers in the stony desert can do to your tyres apart from that it was a smooth trip track was in goog nic

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
Did some research this morning and think ill invest in a stone stopper. We only have about 500 k off the bitumen (while towing the panda) but think the possible damage will justify the investment, wish I was out there're now, could do with a couple of weeks off work.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Did some research this morning and think ill invest in a stone stopper. We only have about 500 k off the bitumen (while towing the panda) but think the possible damage will justify the investment, wish I was out there're now, could do with a couple of weeks off work.

We use a rock tamer and work a treat - no damage at all to the front of the van ..

Jaycus Maximus

Aug 4, 2013
Took my Flamingo OB up the Birdsville last July after adding 2 x large rubber mud-flaps just forward of the axle and piano hinging all the cupboards. Trip went a treat, we continued all the way to Karumba via Camooweal. I'd imagine some similar mods to a 'panda OB would render it equally capable.

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
Well here is how it stands.
After seeing Holden Mans adventure I was sure I could post on the run however that clearly was not the case.
So here is my effort to tell the story of our trip, oh by the way, we didn't make Birdsville.
At the last minute we did the time vs kilometers calculation and decided if we wanted to enjoy the trip we would have to shorten it.
Before we went
Saturday before the trip, very busy, auto elec. for wiring up of Anderson Plug and Electric Brake Unit.
I read a lot on the dangers of playing with the electrics on the 200 series so I ran all the cabling, installed the units and left the sparky to do the final connection. Money well spent, all good.
Off to BCF and purchase a UHF and install on returning home.
Jack up the panda to find one wheel bearing feeling a bit dodgy, strip down reset and all good. Change fitting on panda to suit new vehicle and test, replace a bulb or two and check brakes.
Three days to go.
Drop the 200 at my mechanic for a total going over........10 am call to advise that water pump is stuffed, can fix next week. No good mate, heading to Charleville at 3am on Saturday. As always J&S Autos at Brendale come to the rescue and supply and fit new water pump same day, exceptional.
Call previous owner and tell story of water pump, no worries he will reimburse as agreed at time of purchase (gentlemen agreement on handshake that if mechanic found any issues, he would cover it). Previous owner payed $600 for repairs.
Off to Charleville after a dream that saw us run out of petrol on the Toowoomba Range, all the way to Mitchell before topping up, happy with consumption so far, lunch at Mitchell before making it to Charleville and the Evening Star caravan park, first regret of trip, three echidnas wandering across a red dirt road, lined up biggest to smallest, don't have time to stop for a one minute photo, to much of a hurry to get to where we are going, dammm.
Evening Star as good as always, just one night however and we are on the road to Quilpie early next morning.
A great run, seems a lot less road kill than previous trips and a lot less pigs, perhaps this is a good thing.
At Quilpie for lunch and take advice from the very nice managers at the caravan before heading off to baldy top and lake Honduran, worth the drive and snap a few pics to remember the views.

image.jpg

View From Baldy Top, first time this 200 has been off the bitumen.
Join the rest of the park fora camp oven dinner and a couple of country rockers for the night, might have had a couple of good reds but slept really well.
Next morning on the road again and off to Noccundra, a long run with a couple of stops but looking forward to the night at Noccundra. On arrival we jumped out of the car to a fly invasion, plague proportions, opened the mouth to talk and got a mouth full, crunchy, no bones and full of protein.
Decided to move from the riverside up to the hotel. The newish license doesn't like guests, asked to park on grass at rear of hotel, as advertised......sorry don't like tyre marks on grass.......ok we'll park on bitumen at other side, no generator will be too loud.......ok we'll park out front, sorry road trains might turn up, wouldn't park there either. So we sat and had a beer and listened to the same story told to two other travelers that arrived and then decided to head off to Thargomindah.
image.jpg

Noccundra Hotel, the only disappointment on a fantastic trip

Thargomindah is managed by a lovely Irish lass who made us feel very welcome, unlike our previous stop. Toilets were spotless and we joined a very pleasant group of travelers for a drink before dinner and a walk along the river walk, not a big town but full of big personalities and very welcoming.
Next morning we slept in and enjoyed a late breakfast before heading to Cunnamulla. After reading the reports on numerous forums I was apprehensive of leaving the van to look around this town, on arrival we found a clean, green and friendly town, no boarded up shops, no roaming gangs of youths and a lot of friendly and happy locals, spent a few hours wandering around andyacking with the local shop keepers before heading for Charlotte Plains.
Tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
Charlotte Plains is a working property about 50klms south east of Cunnamulla. Travel the Cunnamulla to St George Road and you can't miss the well signposted turn off.
Follow the gravel driveway for a further 20klms and you will find yourself at the homestead. On arrival I could see the house was tired and a bit of TLC was needed, first impression was concerning, I was later to find out that the owner Robyn lost her husband to a brain tumor last year and has struggled to maintain the place on her own ever since. Robyn's son and another fella come in to help on this 70000 acre property but clearly a lot more help is needed and Robyn has her priorities right (her animals and livelihood).
We were unable to find anyone around the homestead and were ready to turn around and head off when a cloud of dust indicated an approaching vehicle. On arrival it turned out to be the electricity meter reader however he advised that the owner was probably at the shearing sheds, another 2-3 klms down the track. We decided to press on and a few minutes later found the sheds down a well maintained track. A couple of caravans sat outside the sheds and they looked like fellow travelers. I approached one of the owners and he advised that Robyn was somewhere out doing a tour of the property with a couple of other visitors, he was a Victorian who had dropped in for one night and was still there Four nights later. I told him we were supposed to be staying at the borehead, to this he replied that the bore head was amazing and that no one else was down there, follow the track for a further 8 Klm's follow the signs and you'll find a paradise.
Ok.....things are starting to sound a little more positive but is the description accurate ?
Off we go, a further 8 klm's of good track and we found the bore head, nice open grassy area, flat cleared and right beside the bore head and associated streams carrying the water off to the rest of the property. A few Emus and a couple of Kangaroos grazing nearby but essentially we were in the middle of nowhere, nearest people were back at the shearing shed and we could see up the track for several kilometers. I wandered over to the bore head, a feel of the water and yep it's hot, too hot to jump in near the bore however wandering 20-30 meters down the stream and the temp had dropped considerably and was perfect for swimming.
Right next to the bore head sat two old baths, cradled on a wooden platform, beside these was a stainless stell milking bucket and a length of six inch Polly pipe.
Set up took only a few minutes, as it was just the wife and I we had been leaving the ends up and were sleeping on the lounge/table which we had modified to make a double bed. This was done to reduce set up time but also to keep the van warm as we found that the canvas ends being open didn't help with the insulation on the cold south west Qld nights.
The first activity on the agenda was to check out the bore, over the next three days I took over 380 photos of this area, amazed at the rough beauty and changing landscapes, especially at sunrise and sunset.
We wandered into the bore and found the water perfect, a bit silty on the bottom however we were there to relax so moving around a lot was not on the agenda. I tried to swim up to the bore head however it got too hot so gave up before I started to cook.

image.jpg

Checking out the baths was next however filling using the bucket meant work and we weren't there for that, I soon found that if I could tolerate the heat, standing under the bore head holding the poly pipe allowed the pipe to be used to fill the baths very very quickly. Only issue was we had to wait ten minutes before we could get in as the water was too hot. Imagine if you can, laying in a hot bath, in the middle of an open paddock, middle of nowhere clear blue sky and a glass of your favorite beverage while the local wildlife provides the entertainment as they graze nearby, all this for 25 bucks a night, priceless.
I can't describe sunset, Denise and I spent the first and every evening thereafter sitting around the fire, sharing a bottle of red and staring at the amazing night sky, in the back ground was the constant sound of water plugging for the bore head into the streams, our biggest stress was that someone else might pull up and want to share our perfect little piece of paradise.
image.jpg

It would be two days before we saw another person, we noticed a trail of dust and soon after a quad bike pulled up and the friendly rider introduced herself as Robyn.
Lovely lady who stayed and shared a beer with me before inviting us to watch the mustering of cattle later that afternoon. Her UHF radio burst into life a short time later and she was off to help rescue a cow stuck in a drain.
We did wander over to the muster and met a few of the other campers later that afternoon, more great photo opportunities and then back to our piece of paradise knowing in the back of our mind that we would be heading off the following morning.
Now for the photos, I am writing this on an iPad and the photos don't want to load so I will try on the Mac later this morning.

Last edited:

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
Sorry about the delay, kinda got frustrated and gave up on the photos however problem solved so here are a few pics of our trip. This is sunrise at the Artisian Spa at Charlotte Plains, very pleasant spot.
image.jpg

Reactions: Xpandafan