Bill's Jeep GC Laredo MY14

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Interesting photo DRW!!
DRW, Soaring, BigSkiddy - do you think I am foolish contemplating doing this myself?? I am not in the motor trade myself, though my job demands precision, manual skills, clear thinking and good communication. If I didn't end up doing what I do then I may well have been a builder, motor mechanic, or chef!! How is that for a mixed bag??!!

Very much appreciate feedback

Bill
I wouldn't say foolish, I'd have a crack at it, but that's if it was on my 15 year old Falcon. You've just spent over 50k on the vehicle, what's an extra couple hundred bucks. I'd go with Soaring's suggestion of removing the trim and getting the sparky to do it.
I'm getting Jayco to fit mine when I pick up my van. I suspect they won't want to fit it in the cubby and I'll have to pull off the trim for them to get it done.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
View attachment 17138 Hi @Billrw136 its no that difficult if you have patience (which I lost 20 years ago) and basic mechanical mind set, everything clips off pretty much, you will need the data sheet off the web, follow it and its not too daunting, I am an auto electrician by trade so I guess that helps a bit. I ran 2 x 6mm thin sheathed cables from the battery as well as a 4mm twin sheat down the back, there is sooooo much room under the plastics it would have to be the easiest vehicle I have ever run cables through, I went around the spare wheel and poked them out the bottom of the tub (must remember to seal them one day) As I said you must pick up the brake light wire at the rear, I tapped into the trailer plug wiring, if not you will be in a world of hurt, it affects the C Bus system if you pick it up elsewhere. I used the 4mm for this, one back to the controller for the signal and the other for the brakes to the van. I used a voyager which sticks out a bit, but being old school I prefer being able to get to it and adjusting the setting using brail.
cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave - it was a Voyager that was in my Discovery 3. I think I will purchase a P3 from eBay. I am overseas for a month then have a further week off before I return to work - will use that time to suss out doing it myself - otherwise I will look for another installer.
Cheers
Bill

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I wouldn't say foolish, I'd have a crack at it, but that's if it was on my 15 year old Falcon. You've just spent over 50k on the vehicle, what's an extra couple hundred bucks. I'd go with Soaring's suggestion of removing the trim and getting the sparky to do it.
I'm getting Jayco to fit mine when I pick up my van. I suspect they won't want to fit it in the cubby and I'll have to pull off the trim for them to get it done.
One of the problems is that I have been quoted far more than a couple of hundred bucks and that's just to supply and fit a Redarc - "Jeeps are difficult" I have been told. They just are not interested in fitting a P3. I will check out other local installers as well.
Thanks for your comments.
Bill

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I was going to do mine myself. Then I read some horror stories. Computers blown up, people getting left stranded in the middle of nowhere, etc. Could the dealer fit it for you?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Jayco wanted to charge $660 which included the P3, extra wiring to run the fridge and charge battery. (via 12pin) I got them down to $350. You can get the P3 for $180. At the time having no idea how much an auto electrician would charge thought what I negotiated was reasonable.

(Tip. Walk into the caravan dealer an hour before closing time and when it's hour and a half past knock off the salesman will settle on a lower price just to get you out the door.)

I'm not getting mine fitted until late November. I'll try my best to record as much as possible and pass it on to you.Provided I have the Jeep by then, the car is at the dealer but I have refused delivery until rear camera is fitted. It's been tempting to give in though, especially seeing more on the road now.

Reactions: Billrw136

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Well I visited my local Pedder's shop today - has been run by the same people for probably at least 10 years - they used to look after wheel alignment on the Discovery plus they do the servicing on my wife's Mazda 2.
I said to Craig would they consider fitting brake controller to the Jeep. Without hesitation it was a resounding "yes" - I think his in-laws have one. He definitely wants to see the pdf about interior trim removal. Not sure of the price - he said drop in the PDF ahead of time so that he can suss it out and work out a price. Quite happy also for me to supply the P3.
Very refreshing attitude!

Bill

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Glad to hear. Can you post a pic?

BTW I get my GC Laredo tomorrow. Very excited!
I will put up some photos soon - hoping to hook up the van in the next day or two - unfortunately won't be towing it anywhere till January..........

Hope you are enjoying your GC!!!

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Finally the van is behind the Jeep! We have not had a chance to use the van since the middle of the year. My wife is using it next week in Mittagong while she does an art course. I have spent the last few days checking everything over - hooked van up this morning and took it to West Gosford industrial area to sort out brakes etc (nice and quiet there today being a public holiday).

What a delight the Jeep is - really looking forward to the tow on Saturday......

View attachment 19129 View attachment 19129 image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
Reactions: BigSkiddy and Pace

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
The black tyre marks are from the van when testing the brakes.........had to stop and let everything cool down...........good time to take photo.............