45-3.jpg
Just the shade cloth ones ?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Are they worth having ?
45-3.jpg
Just the shade cloth ones ?
Yup. We had only the the mesh ones in the previous Expanda and whilst they only sort of reduced driving rain to an extent, they are a must for privacy so you can leave the bed ends opened up on warm days and nights. No-one wants to look at me dribbling and gurgling as they walk past the van early in the morning ... plus theyre like to see something that can never be "unseen". (there's counselling for that I suppose, and time might reduce the trauma)

Unlike the canvas cousins, you can leave the mesh flies attached which the great thing about them, and with proper seasoning of the canvas we happily got way with using just the mesh and never once sprung a leak from the many heavy storms we experienced. I made those mesh privacy screen out of Bunnings 80% shade mesh.

Our new Expanda came with the expensive Jayco canvas BEF and it is pretty impressive, but will be a pain in the ar$e for overnight stops because you can't leave it attached. So I'm going back to the future, and will be making a mesh privacy screen that we can use on a day by day basis and leave the canvas one for longer stays.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Agree with everyone else.
On those nights when it's balmy out you can leave the canvas open a fair way and feel the breeze coming through without concern.
They will also help with light rain not getting onto the canvas but decent rain will get through them. I have rain screens for that.

I wouldn't want to see me asleep either.....

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
yes indeed but get thicker than normal jayco ones like crusty said we got our with the van they make extra thick ones at jayco geelong but 250 each so could easily get them made cheaper fold them up we have been poured on with rain no water in bed ends they are great can see pics of mine on my blueys outback thread or can send better pics close ups thick shade cloth bed ends 5 stars !!!!!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Definate yes.

Good for light to medium rain ...and some heavy rain.

And they do give privacy even in caravan parks. We notice the difference after the Swan had no such screens and all who passed could admire. Poor sods.

But, best of all, they stay attached so you don't need to dig them out when you need them

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
another yeppers from me
they stay on, and get attached when the bed is set up

then the BEF goes over them if its for more than 2 days

Reactions: dagree

Frogette

Nov 15, 2014
Until reading this link didn't realise that you could have the mesh privacy screens as well as the full canvas ones. I have the canvas, but they are a pain to put up for a quick night stay. Would prefer the privacy of the mesh. Might have to find some to fit to my van

Reactions: bigcol

MartyJB

Jul 23, 2015
Perth WA
I haven't got my can yet but am interested in the privacy mesh option. These are not a Jayco option, so to those who have made them (cristy181) can you give any details?
How do they attach?
More pics?
Can you buy them after market anywhere?
Thanks
Marty

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I haven't got my can yet but am interested in the privacy mesh option. These are not a Jayco option, so to those who have made them (cristy181) can you give any details?
How do they attach?
More pics?
Can you buy them after market anywhere?
Thanks
Marty
Hi @MartyJB and welcome to the forum. I made my privacy screens for the 16.49 (sold), and have just made the 20.63 one yesterday. I made it from the same blue 70/80% Cooloroo Bunnings shade mesh which was still perfect after 5 years on the last van. It was a little hit miss with measurements ... bit of a work in motion. I made small stainless steel plates and hooks and urethaned them to the van, 4 on the van, 5 on the lid ... the plates stayed attached for the 5 years also. The top and bottom edge of the fly has shock cord inserted into a pocket along the edge and with s/s keyrings on the exposed ends of the shock cord, hooks onto the s/s hooks urethaned to the van. The fly stays attached and folds up under the lid draped over shock cord strung between the gas strut mount plates

Comes with matching sun shades as well.

P1020616.JPG IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1310.JPG IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1313.JPG IMG_3077.jpg

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Are the standard shade cloth ones you can buy from Jayco OK? Or are the ones Jayco Geelong make themselves that much better? Reason i ask is Jayco Geelong are sold out until the new year of the single front ones but i can get a hold of a standard Jayco one.