Just Browsing Be aware - hot water system leak

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Hey guys,
Today I found out the hard way that the suburban hot water system is not always sealed around the body/wall of the van. When I go to change the anode I like to flush the tank with the garden hose and this time round water has managed to leak in through the bottom corners of the hot water system, into the cupboard and run down the floor under the oven and ensuite before finally running out of where the hoses come through the floor at the RHR corner of the van. After pulling the vanity off the wall, I've attempted to shove tea towels under the shower floor to soak up any water that remains plus run a fan heater into the cupboard to help dry it out. So a five minute anode change has turned into a nightmare. After this is sorted I'm going to seal the corners of the HWS with some sikaflex. Don't let this happen to you.

Reactions: relgate

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Suggest you remove the external face/door assembly of the unit and completely reseal around that, thats where ours leaked only from rain water, when parked in the yard it used to lean to the left side, that's how I found it after it had rained and water was running across the floor

Reactions: Drover and GUlewis

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hey guys,
Today I found out the hard way that the suburban hot water system is not always sealed around the body/wall of the van. When I go to change the anode I like to flush the tank with the garden hose and this time round water has managed to leak in through the bottom corners of the hot water system, into the cupboard and run down the floor under the oven and ensuite before finally running out of where the hoses come through the floor at the RHR corner of the van. After pulling the vanity off the wall, I've attempted to shove tea towels under the shower floor to soak up any water that remains plus run a fan heater into the cupboard to help dry it out. So a five minute anode change has turned into a nightmare. After this is sorted I'm going to seal the corners of the HWS with some sikaflex. Don't let this happen to you.
Same happened to me years ago. There is a thread somewhere. Seems Jayco never seal them

Reactions: GUlewis

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Definetly going to look at sealing it better as I don't want it happening each time the anode is changed.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I noticed mine had a dodgy bit of seal around the drain hose before I checked mine so the whole shebang got the treatment.

Don't put thread tape around the anode either or it won't work properly, it needs to be earthed.

I also did a sealing job on the toilet cassette cupboard as mine looked like any water splashed around in there would leak into the body or wall panel .