18' Series BBQ Dilemma

wellsfamily

Jul 12, 2012
Emerald Qld
Hi All. Very new to the forum but have ordered a new 18-57-09 OB and would like a bit of feedback on a few of our options and ideas. We currently have the van ordered with the extended drawbar to fix a toolbox to the front similar to some of the ones posted. The idea was to store our Webber Q in the toolbox along with a genie. After reading some of the posts and realizing that due to our bunks being fixed we will have extra storage and the capability to add the slide out BBQ near a fold down picnic table. Does anyone regret adding this option as the salesman told us that the Webber Q was a much better setup than the slide out BBQ that they sell as an option. We are also concerned that this type of BBQ may spit grease over the van exterior ?

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
I love the Webber q....I am thinking of a side opening Toolbox with a slide to keep the Webber in...currently kept on theed floor inside

wellsfamily

Jul 12, 2012
Emerald Qld
Thanks for the replies think im definetly going to stick with the Webber and copy Kolegas design of the front toolbox if I can squeeze the Webber in there.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
We love our webber Q and wouldnt use a standard BBQ after using Q. We have the new 18.57.5 and asked for the front boot opening to be the max it could be and our Q slides right in the door. Maybe you could ask for that option. It didnt cost us anything to increase opening. As it was a new model maybe all the outback have the same opening. Ps should add its the Baby Q we have.
The Q cooks scones, cakes, bread not just BBQ.s so you can get much more use than just a BBQ plate.

wellsfamily

Jul 12, 2012
Emerald Qld
Hi Jenny & Greg Thanks for the info, is the door that you are talking about the small access door beside the main door over the checkerplate (on an Outback). Very happy if a Baby Q will fit in there, we are struggling with remembering the exact setup of everything as we only actually saw the van for a day at the Caravan and Camping Show in Brissie. Thinking about heading back down to do a final check over everything before we sign off as its a big investment. If that is the door you are talking about I will call our salesman tomorrow and ask what the largest door/opening we can have there is. Cheers Brian

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Brian
Yes thats the door. Both side openings to that boot fit the Q in. We slide it in on the other side. Go check it out as the boot is enormous! We dont have the roasting lid on our Q so just check height but im sure we still have heaps of room and would fit the higher Q lid.
Cheers Jenny

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Brian I just went out and measured opening for you. 345mm high and 510mm wide. Diagonally its 600mm
Hopes that helps.
Cheers Jenny

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi wellsfamily, if your weber is a bit tight going through the outside opening it will easily fit using access inside. The bigger opening sound like a good option though, wished I thought of that as is is alot smaller than boot size.

Cheers.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We bought our weber q today. Got the 120 series with high lid and battery ignition. Also got the trolley and a couple plates and racks etc. Looks very well made.

Geoff

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Great Maccayak.. You will never look back. We have 2 and wouldn't be without it. We have had the middle size Q at home and haven, roasted in my oven for 4 years!
You won't go camping without it. Enjoy.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Going to order the correct 3m bayonet hose next. All the ones on ebay are bsp, have to chase up an sae one.

Geoff

wellsfamily

Jul 12, 2012
Emerald Qld
Thanks for the measurements Have asked for the largest possible access door to boot and the dealer has told me that they always fit the largest door possible. We are going to get connection points at the front and back of van as well after reading some of the other threads. We will be signing off on the order next week can't wait for delivery in November planning trips already !!