20' Series Battery will not charge

mel charlton

Jul 8, 2018
kurnell
We have a 20.01-1 purchased 2018 still under warranty. The battery will not charge through the car, solar or 240 volt and we are unable to slide the lounge out due to low battery. Which also means no access to the battery. We were told about the Manila over ride for slide out however in true jayco form where the arrow is for the button on the slide out led controller their is no button Infact no button on the entire unti even though there is a sticker saying press button for manual over ride. We are unable to use lights water pump lounge anything that runs on 12 volt. how do we get charge to this bloody battery. If we get an auto electrician I’m 100% sure that jayco won’t fit the bill. Can we connect a portable battery charger straight to the terminals as we could probably get to the terminals but can’t remove the battery itself. We are of course on holidays now and all jayco service departments are closed for the Christmas period. So climbing over a lounge in a pretty much inoperable van is really not what I want to be doing right now.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
We have a 20.01-1 purchased 2018 still under warranty. The battery will not charge through the car, solar or 240 volt and we are unable to slide the lounge out due to low battery. Which also means no access to the battery. We were told about the Manila over ride for slide out however in true jayco form where the arrow is for the button on the slide out led controller their is no button Infact no button on the entire unti even though there is a sticker saying press button for manual over ride. We are unable to use lights water pump lounge anything that runs on 12 volt. how do we get charge to this bloody battery. If we get an auto electrician I’m 100% sure that jayco won’t fit the bill. Can we connect a portable battery charger straight to the terminals as we could probably get to the terminals but can’t remove the battery itself. We are of course on holidays now and all jayco service departments are closed for the Christmas period. So climbing over a lounge in a pretty much inoperable van is really not what I want to be doing right now.

Hello @mel charlton , these things always happen at the worst of times!! The first thing to do is get some charge into the battery in situ. If you can connect a good "smart" charger onto the battery terminals, that will be a start. Have you been able to check the battery voltage with a multimeter? That will give you an idea of what is the state of charge of the battery before and after you have the battery on charge for at least 24 to 36 hours. Batteries normally do not just fail like that. It is usually because of lack of proper charging. The other more important problem is why did this happen or is there a fault or some electrical item left on and forgotten about!! After you get some charge into your battery, you will have to investigate what you have done or not done. Good luck!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The system should work when on 240v as the Setek/BMpro should be providing the power the battery is just the storage for when no 240v......since no lights pump etc I would be looking for fuses, battery switch (often hidden) 240 breaker switch......I doubt it is the battery. Plugged into 240, remove battery everything will still work normally.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Setek/BMpro should be providing the power
If it is a 2018, it will have a BmPro J35. The BmPro 35 will completely turn off if the battery is flat. It will not trickle charge the battery and it will not supply 12V power. BmPro regard a flat battery as an error condition and will not attempt to recover.
Only two workarounds is to get an external charger to get the battery voltage back up so the BmPro starts working again, OR disconnect the battery. In that case the BmPro is happy to be a 12V power supply.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats right, I should have had a squiz at the manual, but thats basically what I said disconnect the battery............. Does the microwave work ??

Last BMPro I played with the wiring around the battery was shocking, not a fan of them at all.

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
This may help you to get the slide out:
From the BmPro J35 manual:

EMERGENCY 2-MINUTE ON
When there is no source present and the system is either in LVD or Storage Mode, the outputs could still be momentarily turned ON for 2 minutes. This can be done by cycling the Load Isolation Switch for 4 seconds. This gives the user the ability to make use of the system even though the battery is already heavily discharged.

Also, assuming Jayco have wired the slide out correctly:

J35-B “SLIDE-OUT”
The Slide-Out output is different compared to the other outputs. Unlike the others, the Slide-Out output is always OFF whenever the auxiliary voltage is present, regardless if AC mains is ON or OFF. This is a safety mechanism of the J35. To prevent from accidentally engaging the Slide-Out while caravan is in transit, J35 effectively inhibits the Slide-Out to engage if auxiliary input is ON. To operate the Slide-Out, turn OFF auxiliary input. Turning OFF the towing car engine should suffice.

cheers
Mike