Just Browsing awning or annexe advice

sally

Mar 2, 2015
qld
Hi all
We have just purchased a second hand jayco hawk outback 2005 model. Wondering what advice people could give me over what is a good awning or is it worthwhile putting an annexe on it. We are a family of four with two small children and love 4WD. Planning on moving to Darwin soon and can't wait to start exploring.
Thanks for any help or advice
Regards

Last edited:

Arkraider

Jan 6, 2015
Melbourne
Welcome aboard @sally, as @chartrock said above. As you will be moving to Darwin and most likely exploreing all there is to see up in the N.T. I would certainly only go with the awning, whether it be a bagged awning or a roll out style, for the time being. Especially as it is so warm up that way all year round. Great van for ventilation as it is, but I don't think you will need the full annex as yet.
In saying that it might be worth your while before going to get prices in QLD against N.T. pricing for awnings and annexes and see if it is worth getting it all before you go anyway. Hope it helps...
There is plenty on here to read and I am still pretty new here to and have hardly touched the surface best of luck.

Reactions: Macca666

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Welcome Sally,

I would also go the awning, infact under the new regulations with where the fridge is located on the hawk, you may not be able to get an annexe.

Look forward to reading the trip reports and seeing the photos from your expeditions.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We got an annexe on our swan through our dealer a year after we purchased it left the van there for 2 weeks no problems.
It was great when the kids where little to have that extra room. Since then 2 expandas with only awnings and now the silverline with an annexe I wish sometimes that with the expanda that we had the annexe especially on cold nights and when it was raining

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Every one is different but we had the awning and the anexe. Awning went up every time, the walls went on twice. Once when we first brought it and the second to take pics to sell it.

Sparkdog99

Mar 15, 2015
Gold Coast
It would depend on the type of camping you do . Quick trips don't lend themselves to setting up the annexe each night. For what it's worth we had an outback dove for 6 years and only ever put the walls up once. But then we tended to do lots of quick trips or touring type holidays.
Cheers Sparkdog

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Only my 2 bobs worth, but it really depends if you need an extra room, otherwise if you just want an area to sit and talk/play then save your money, they are damn expensive where an awning really covers eberything with a couple of shade screens far cheaper. If your kids are under 10 no need and if they are over that then a couple of swags under the rig is better for all concerned , just add a 12v supply so they can plug into and far more cheaper. The annex will not only cost over a grand but adds weight, set up time and usually agro for the fella as everyone else clears off.

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
We had a bag awning on our camper, which after a year we added annex walls too, with lots of fly screen windows for circulation and light, we found with the lil miss under 5 that we could leave her out there happily enough with lots more room for playing with her toys without having to worry about her wandering off or being under our feet when cooking in or around the van. After 3 years with a bag awning, going a roll out awning on the new van will be a godsend - hated setting up the #$## thing. Mind you the annex was only set up for stays over 3 days.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
My 2 cents worth..... We have had awnings on both our caravans (As they came standard LOL) and have full annex walls and shade screens for the long wall and one end wall.

Stays of a week or more we setup the full annex but for shorter stays it's just the shade walls.

One good thing with our annex is that the walls are made in several sections and if bad weather is looking likely we can just close off one end and half the long wall (Make sense?)

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
We had a swan upto 4 years ago when we went to the expanda.We had Kakadu Awnings all round which I could not fault but took 2 hours to set up the whole lot. This setup was good for a week away but for overnight stays we just un rolled the bag awning.

Attachments

• 2001 Jayco Swan Outback 007.jpg
    2001 Jayco Swan Outback 007.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 218
  • 2001 Jayco Swan Outback 014.jpg
    2001 Jayco Swan Outback 014.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 233
  • 2001 Jayco Swan Outback 012.jpg
    2001 Jayco Swan Outback 012.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 194

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi. We had the bag awning and full annex with our swan (bought 2009 and sold 2014). We used the annex in full on three occasions, so with this van we didn't bother. (We used the oz trail next to the awning for extra shade). I would suggest getting something for the back wall, as you nearly always end up with one of the ends getting the afternoon sun, and it just helps block it. I ended up getting shade cloth. It was lighter and easier to set up and gave shade on the end.
We only used our awning for stays of more than 3 days. Otherwise, it can get a bit tedious.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
awnings all around, thats what I had with my Flamingo
and I also got shade cloth from bunnings I think for "walls"

when I did get an annex - to have more enclosed room....... we ended up selling an upgrading to an Expanda not long after.............

Mattanddeb

Mar 18, 2015
Victoria
Hi Sally, we are in the process of selling our eagle. We have a 3 year old and if we were at a place longer than 5 days we would set up an annex otherwise we just had the awning. It is handy to have the annex as while you are cooking or pre occupied they have somewhere safe to play where it is hard for them to escape! I suppose it depends on the age of your children. Good luck with your trip :)

Reactions: bigcol