Awning Front extender

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
I remember seeing a pic/thread somewhere of someone that had a extender piece (Tarp/awning material) that attached to the front horizontal rail of the awning (drawbar end), looked like about a 3m x 3m piece with 2 poles at the FWD end and tie downs that gave extra shade/cover out the front of the awning. Not the shade cloth type things that come down on an angle. Anyone know what im talking about and can point me in the right direction? :help:

Reactions: bigcol

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I got ours from Australia Wide Annexes they slide into the anti-flap kit, comes with ropes, pegs (pretty crappy) two poles and a spreader bar top bit of kit.

These can go either end depending on how you have set up I always use ours at the front as this is where the gas bayonet for the Weber is. I had one corner lowered down in this pic due to rain
20150322_095759.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds like a car awning would do the same job, at least mine just slides into a sail track on the car side. Might look further into that, may be a cheaper option.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It certainly does!

We bought an el cheapo for the car awning from the 4wd super centre....it was about $35 and put it on, then grabbed some poles, marked the spot for the horizontal part and the rest drops vertically.

Two holes for metal eyelets and the job is done.

However, it's not as sturdy as the Sunbuster one we've ordered for our new van.....that's far more expensive!

But the principal is the same and the cheapie is long enough to allow for the roof bit, as well as the side.

Reactions: dagree

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I made our own out of the silver tarp material. Just got a sailtrack sewn in to one side. Punched extra eyelets in so it can like the pic or you can drop the extra bit down as a wind break/sun blind. I use the weber directly under it and the silver material cleans easily

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I always wanted one with The Tardis since it was just a 14 ft rig but Big Mal at 21ft I can find somewhere to hide under the awning...........but they are a snazy option and probably a must I reckon.

Reactions: bigcol

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Good thinking Jimmy.

Those pre-made ones look good too.

Yes bigcol, thats what we have been using, but would like something a bit more compact/lighter to carry. We are running out of room to put stuff with all the other cr*p we take, bikes, surfboards, kayaks....

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
We got one thrown in with our annexe and I think they were around $250

Closer to $300 from memory but it is a good quality product. As @Drover mentioned earlier the 14.44's only have an 11ft awning, we upgraded from a soft floor C/T which had a 20ft of awning space to the 14.44 so for me the extra undercover space the add on porch gives out weighed the price.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yeah. Extra real estate is worth the cost and the effort.

That's one of the main things we missed when moving up to the caravan...the awning space. It gets a bit cramped at times, particularly in wet weather.

Now, with most people using Webers and such, we need as much as we can get....and protection when cooking.

Our cheapie should work OK for quick and easy protection but the Sunbuster one, and the others mentioned, are really great for a longer stay. More comfort, more space and more protection. (The sunbuster one we're getting will have a vinyl roof section and the shade stuff for the sides.)

I just can't be bothered with a gazebo, even though most use them....I can never find a good place to carry it and it attracted rain every time I put it up!

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep.

Anything that has to slide in is high in the outback .....so we have to carry a ladder.

There's more money to spend!

I seem to recall @Bluey was selling his porch thingy a while ago.....I could be wrong.