Exterior Awning Floor Options

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
Hi,
I am looking for Ideas on flooring for the Awning area. Currently when bush camping we use the Oz Rig Style of shade cloth.
We have 3 week coming up on a slab site at the Beach and am keen to hear or see what others have, recommend, and suggest, or giving a wide birth to.

Having 3 Kids & visiting friends,sand and sweeping is a constant, along with wet patch when I rains...

The slab we have is long @ 9.5mt and 2.8 wide...
A 3.3mt wide shade cloth could be an idea to protect splash up from dirt / rain.Other considerations is artificial turf, awning matting, or LOTS of the interlocking foam mats.

Practical pack up and storage and cost conscious is also of interest.

Cheers
Andrew

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We have a cgear mat and been happy with it so far..... Haven't used it in wet weather yet but time will tell!

Reactions: Dog House

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I use the Oz trail annex matting it has proved to be good in the wet or dry on dirt, sand, concrete and grass although when we are lucky enough to get some nice grass I don't put anything down:D.

Not as good as the C Gear matting or so ive been told but not as expensive either, the cheapest place I could find it was on Fleabay.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
got a cgear had a Aldi. The cgear you need to peg down or its slippery although crap goes through it which is great.
The Aldi was a little small for our old van.

Although if a cement slab we do not get it out which has been a few places lately.
There are a few others like endromat etc. probably comes down to $'s
We got ours on ebay with some small cb radios we use :)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've got some rubberised greenish matting we bought with our Aussie Swag in the 1990's.

It's still going strong and has been great. They sold it from the roll but no idea of brand.

It's the only mat we've seen which works well on sand. They all seem to bunch up as you walk across sand and the shade cloth version is always slippery on any surface.

When on grass or other acceptable surface a doormat is enough ...or some of the click together mats work. It's only on really yucky surfaces the bigger mat is needed so it's no big deal.

We have seen some couples who always put out the matting whether needed or not. It must be on the checklist.

What ever you get I hope it comes in a bag or you can find the mat a pain to packup if it's wet, sandy or dirty.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @Dog House we use a Oztent Mesh Floor Saver. We use a Oztent RV5 and this when 4WD'ing and seems to fit and work perfectly in front of the van

Have heard the cgear ones are also good and a lot of people use these

Not the best pic but fits well under the awning for size and we have three young kids, like most of these mats, the sand falls through and keeps most of the mess out of the van....
IMG_3257.jpg

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
Thanks for the Feedback - the CGear seems to be the Go for Bush camping, and probably the Oztrail style rubberised matting for the Slab.... Could make it expensive and or bulky if had to carry 2. I may look at BCF or similar for the rubberised mat for the upcoming Slab holiday.... will consume a few slab then peterg
Still happy for any more feedback.
Cheers
Andrew