16' Series Auxiliary plate for bike rack

Andrew and Kellie

Nov 14, 2014
Hi there was hoping for some advice what do people do when their bikes cover the number plate up.
We tried to get an auxiliary plate but Rta don't do them for trailers apparently.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Isn't it crazy how things vary so much from state to state. I had no problems up here in Qld getting an auxiliary plate for our van. I know motomoto had problems getting one in his state also, in the end i think he got the jayco dealer to move the plate under warranty as it was not legal where jayco had supplied it.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi there was hoping for some advice what do people do when their bikes cover the number plate up.
We tried to get an auxiliary plate but Rta don't do them for trailers apparently.
Just tell them the plate fell off and order another full sized one perhaps ?

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Just tell them the plate fell off and order another full sized one perhaps ?

Unfortunately they will issue a new number combination as well.

All I did when I had the bike rack on the back of the camper trailer was use the bike rack plate with the car rego on it. I will do the same with the Expanda.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
My plate lives on the bike rack, I've even left it on with no bikes for some trips just so I don't need to swap it over again.....bit lazy I know!

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I know here in Vic that as a minimum you must have the registration number visible at all times. When I take the bikes on the back of the car I have a piece of plywood and some of those stick on reflective numbers and letters from the big green shed and I would attach that to the bike rack.
Would something like that pass in NSW?
We can purchase bike rack numberplates here for $31.40
From VicRoads, the last line is why I made my plate this way.

If you have a bicycle rack fitted to your vehicle, you must ensure that the vehicles’ number plate is still clearly visible from a distance of 20 metres.

If the rear number plate of your vehicle is obscured because of a bike rack, you can either:

• obtain a bike rack number plate from VicRoads and attach this to your bicycle rack (a fee applies)
  • attach the rear number plate from your car to your bicycle rack when it is in use and then return it to your vehicle when you are not using the bicycle rack.
Hand-painted plates are not permitted to be used.

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
automatic numberplate recognition in nsw from police vehicles, necessitates authorised plates only, obscured, unofficial plates risk a hefty fine

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
nsw laws you can move the original plate but it must be visible and have a light for night time illumination no way on the bike rack plate have made countless calls to rms and my ginger beer he is also baffled by nsw rms .