Just Browsing Aussie Traveller AFK & Awning Light

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Hi All,

I was wondering if any one has successfully been able to use the Aussie traveller anti flap kit and not damage the wiring to the awning LED strip light running inside the hem of the awning to the awning barrel?? I'm keen on adding this set up to out 18:58-2. I love the look of the Aussie traveller AFK and curved rafters and have hear many good reviews, just don't want to do any damage to the awning light, because I love it
Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated!!

Thank you.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We have it for our annexe which is getting fitted tomorrow. We have already used the AFK on their own twice with no issues. There is a little slack in the wire on ours so all good just have to be careful when clamping and make sure the AFK is straight to the awning barrel and not pull it down and stretch the wire if that makes sense. When mine was fitted I made sure they put that top mounting bracket as high as possible as I Know @Bluey had his fitted and it was screwed below the aluminium sail track but mine goes through the sail track.

Reactions: Cutters

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've got it and just had the van in for a service...a major item was the afk struts we had trouble with while in a howling gale a few weeks ago.

We couldn't align the holes for the struts at all and the conditions didn't help so we gave up and used the strappy things...they worked ok but not as well as the afk has in the past. And yes, we should have dropped the awning completely but didn't.

Anyway, the remedy was to adjust the pins on the struts and to fit while the awning was still attached to van...that keeps the roller / barrel aligned more easily it seems.

Tried it once adjusted and works a treat and doesn't affect the LEDs on the awning. The hole they drilled when afk was fitted is still the same and it now works as it should.

Reactions: dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have used it on our Journey many times with no problems. My only concern is poking the tip of the AFK into the same hole that the wire enters the roller, I worry it may pinch the wire.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I've now discovered there's a plastic protective thing in the barrel to keep the strut away from the wires.

I learn the hard way...and that worried me, too.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I'd like to see one of those.

Img_0260_resized.jpg

This is what we have @chartrock .... No idea why they would shove the cable in the same hole as AFK goes?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
To be honest I think the location where the wire goes in would be better for the AFK..... Sometimes I have issues lining things up so it doesn't put too much tension on the awning fabric!

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We have it for our annexe which is getting fitted tomorrow. We have already used the AFK on their own twice with no issues. There is a little slack in the wire on ours so all good just have to be careful when clamping and make sure the AFK is straight to the awning barrel and not pull it down and stretch the wire if that makes sense. When mine was fitted I made sure they put that top mounting bracket as high as possible as I Know @Bluey had his fitted and it was screwed below the aluminium sail track but mine goes through the sail track.
Yes @17triton true but i had them change mine to lift the braket to the track after you picked that up so thanks its a bit better now but now its a bit higher when clamped on it will do i think also water fills in the annex track and pours down the side of van i hate this

Last edited:
Reactions: 17triton

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
We have an Aussie Traveller AFK that we use on our Jayco Journey and haven't had any issues. Just exercise some care and you shouldn't have any issues. Our awning has some cable slack on each end so shouldn't have any issues. ( I hope )
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: Cutters

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Seems like with correct installation and a little care when used the set up works well. I'll have to bite the bullet and try it for myself with 3 curved roof. Does 3 sound right ??? On a 18.58
:)

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Is there room to put a little padding (self adhesive stuff) on the AFK clamp assembly that clamps on the wire?? Would it be beneficial, worth the effort!!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We had our AFK for the 22.68 drilled and fitted at Jayco for pickup.. they used the hole where the wire was :( When I put it up it did not fit like the 17.58 did.
When we got the annex done they said hate to tell you this Jayco drilled the holes in the wrong spot so they had to re drill them lower. So we have extra holes now :( Seems a common thing drilled wrong spot as I have seen a few with multiple holes :(

Reactions: dagree