Electrical Anyone installed a Projecta IP1000/IP2000 inverter into existing wiring ?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has installed one of the Projecta IP1000 or IP2000 inverters so that it powers your existing power points ?

I like the idea of it automatically transferring over from mains to inverter, but there are a couple of complications.

Firstly, how Jayco has wired the power points using the CMS plug and play system.

Ideally I'd like to be able to set it up to only power some power points and not others (ie not much use having the setec try and charge the battery from the inverter, nor running the HWS or aircon, but it would be good for the microwave.

Any thoughts ?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hey there
I have a 2000 and it works a treat.
In my case I got a local tech to do it after doing a bit of research. There is no easy way to work out how your power is daisy chained. You can manually try to unplug each one and see where it is powered from but some arent accessible.

In the end we hooked in at the main inlet before or after the RCD (sorry cant remeber which). I have pliugged the fridge and setec into one powerpoint and simply switch it off when off grid to be sure they are not using power. With regards to AC, we just dont turn it on!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hey there
I have a 2000 and it works a treat.
In my case I got a local tech to do it after doing a bit of research. There is no easy way to work out how your power is daisy chained. You can manually try to unplug each one and see where it is powered from but some arent accessible.

In the end we hooked in at the main inlet before or after the RCD (sorry cant remeber which). I have pliugged the fridge and setec into one powerpoint and simply switch it off when off grid to be sure they are not using power. With regards to AC, we just dont turn it on!

I guess I was hoping for it to be more automated than that, even though your method is certainly the simplest option.

I took the RCD off yesterday and saw a 1:3 connector for the CMS cables, so I'm going to have a play at unplugging them one at a time and see where they go.

I suspect it won't be the connections I'm wanting but will be a first step, thanks.

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
I'am currently installing a Protect 1800 W inverter in my Discovery, half the price of the 2000 W. I'am using a 2 pole no/nc contactor to auto switch over from inverter to mains power. Fitting a separate circuit to the Secec so it is only powered when on mains power. The wiring in the Discovery is split behind the RCD, 1 circuit goes to the front for hot water and outside power points, 2nd circuit goes to rear to all other power points

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Why ????????

Haha - because the IP2000 has the inbuilt changeover switch. If I can wire it the way I'm hoping, it just stops me needing to run leads etc inside the van from the inverter, and the power points will just work as though we are on mains.

Its a geek thing 8-)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I'am currently installing a Protect 1800 W inverter in my Discovery, half the price of the 2000 W. I'am using a 2 pole no/nc contactor to auto switch over from inverter to mains power. Fitting a separate circuit to the Secec so it is only powered when on mains power. The wiring in the Discovery is split behind the RCD, 1 circuit goes to the front for hot water and outside power points, 2nd circuit goes to rear to all other power points

That was my other thought, go for a cheaper inverter and set it up the same as you are doing.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Other than a coffee machine I can't think of what would be needed to run....

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

It's mainly the microwave that we use the 240v for, but also laptop chargers and other miscellaneous 240v things that people bring along.

We are pretty well set up for off grip operations, but I'm just covering all bases.

Reactions: Drover

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi @Bellbirdweb,

We have a 2,500W inverter running off our 2 x 100AH batteries. We run the microwave, coffee machine, toaster, washing machine, sandwich press, hair dryer, etc. from it.

I did not do anything with the AC wiring. I just make sure that I have turned off the SETEC and the hot water service. We simply do not use the AirCon.

Run an AC lead from the inverter and plug back into the van's AC power system externally on the van. Just a few minutes extra work, but if we are being off grid - not an issue.

Good luck - Rohan

Reactions: Drover

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Good question Drover, we use our 1800W inverter to run the microwave, bread maker (we need to bake our own bread every 2 to 3 days as I am Gluten intolerant) and power permitting (sun shine to recharge) our induction hotplate outside under the awning. The induction cooktop cannot be run at the same time as microwave (too much current at once), though we regularly use it to boil water and quick frying. We also are a bit decadent and charge our electric toothbrush. Interesting offset from the inverter, is we save a bit of gas by cooking boiling water on our inverter powered $50 eBay hotplate.

The inverter is wired to all power points (except Air Conditioner) and is really useful. It is a luxury, but in our opinion well worth having, especially when bush camping.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's always interesting what folks need power for, I looked into inverters and all that was involved in the way of extra storage and panels, I was looking at running a couple of seperate GPO's though as I don't trust a circuit board to shift from 240 mains to inverter 240, seen too many things smoke/melt over the years when a 5cent item failed..cockroach poo even..............anyway when I looked at the cost to do it I found it easier to look for 12v items, my laptop will charge from 12v, TV, Sat STB, phone chargers, Broadband Unit just haven't found the coffee machine, well one that doesn't suck a battery inside out and cost the earth, so I use a plunger or grab the bourbon if it's after 1200.......................and if all else fails then I use the HONDA.......................oh the noise some say as I choke on the smoke from their fire (because they haven't a clue how to make one )......not meant to deride anyone I wonder how I managed to camp all those years with a tent and tilly lamp...lol,lol......(thats why I have a van with the bells and all).....even invented an asthma machine for Mrs D when she had a big attack way out bush and miles from anywhere, well 2 hrs hard FWD anyway, used a 12v car pump, face mask with a knot in the hose the regulate air flow and it worked, thankfully...

Keep the ideas coming.........is all that fail safe and islolated when you plug in 240 main if the inverter is supplying power.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
It's always interesting what folks need power for, I looked into inverters and all that was involved in the way of extra storage and panels, I was looking at running a couple of seperate GPO's though as I don't trust a circuit board to shift from 240 mains to inverter 240, seen too many things smoke/melt over the years when a 5cent item failed..cockroach poo even..............anyway when I looked at the cost to do it I found it easier to look for 12v items, my laptop will charge from 12v, TV, Sat STB, phone chargers, Broadband Unit just haven't found the coffee machine, well one that doesn't suck a battery inside out and cost the earth, so I use a plunger or grab the bourbon if it's after 1200.......................and if all else fails then I use the HONDA.......................oh the noise some say as I choke on the smoke from their fire (because they haven't a clue how to make one )......not meant to deride anyone I wonder how I managed to camp all those years with a tent and tilly lamp...lol,lol......(thats why I have a van with the bells and all).....even invented an asthma machine for Mrs D when she had a big attack way out bush and miles from anywhere, well 2 hrs hard FWD anyway, used a 12v car pump, face mask with a knot in the hose the regulate air flow and it worked, thankfully...

Keep the ideas coming.........is all that fail safe and islolated when you plug in 240 main if the inverter is supplying power.

@Drover - you are clearly the MacGyver of camping, thank goodness. Yep, I remember the days of a ground sheet, hutchie, campfire, billy and a tin of baked beans. Petty Mrs T does not like that kind of camping :-(

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Drover - you are clearly the McGiver of camping, thank goodness. Yep, I remember the days of a ground sheet, hutchie, campfire, billy and a tin of baked beans. Petty Mrs T does not like that kind of camping :-(

Ha, ha, never looked at it that way, just watching/reading about blokes like Jack Absalom, Len Beadel and a couple of others it seemed to be how you did things when you went bush, you had to make your gear, ARB, TJM were not invented.......Been looking at getting a new tent and kettle for quick runs to Teewah, 30 mins away for a few days on the beach but the sand is harder than it was 30 yrs ago..................I can run my sat TV off the Ute with the Engel, Weber and rechargable lantens, not quite the same but better than tilly's and fire's, less hassle

Reactions: yabbietol and ROnEM

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW

Drover the system is very safe was installed at caravan build and is protected by its own circuit breaker (earth leakage type). The inverter is a 1800W Xantrex which when overloaded sounds an alarm and shuts down and if it draws too much from the batteries (300AH LiPO) too quickly the Enedrive Battery Management System (BMS) shuts the whole lot down (only happened once, our fault). If we plug into mains it just works through a seperate earth leakage breaker. The whole system seems very safe and it only complains when we exceed 1800W and then only till we turn off load and start again. Common problem is when making a couple of mugs of flat white we just need to get our timing right, one major appliance at a time (see below).

***Now getting a bit off topic ***
We are using a Bialetti Musa 6-cups stainless steel coffee pot (note: 6 short blacks or two good mugs of flat white).
http://www.bialetti.com/www.bialett...-1_7_21.html?zenid=uuf12fo185m312fvi4tssmnsh2
We pre-grind the coffee and keep in caravan fridge (suppose we could carry coffee grinder, but we must have limits on what gadgets we carry). We have a good coffee machine at home and the Bialetti is not as good, but close. The Bialetti we have is suitable for induction and on a 1800W setting of the hotplate makes good strong black coffee in about a minute, we like coffee with a lot of milk so we microwave a couple of mugs of milk for a couple of minutes and get two very nice flat white coffees in under 5 minutes. The microwave uses about 1% of battery per minute and hotplate a little bit more. So for under 5% of battery we get two really nice coffees anywhere, even pulled over at side of road.
***Back on topic***

Also above I forgot to mention above we once have used the on board Daewoo front loader washing machine on a sunny morning in Queensland. Plus the bread maker, made coffee and microwaved some lunch (2 minutes) when off grid and the 300W of solar on roof had us back to 100% battery by about 3pm. I know it sounds a bit yuppie, but it is nice to be self contained and comfortable. When we bought the van a year ago we were going to get a generator for battery charging, but so far have decided we don't yet need it. However, we did buy 160W folding solar panel and the caravan has a DC to DC from the tow to charge the battery when moving.

We like our inverter a lot.
Regards Terry

Reactions: relgate and dagree

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I have installed a Projecta 2000w inverter to my Jayco Baaestation.
The CMS wiring makes it easy to connect the inverter to the factory wiring. Just buy a 2 meter CMS lead cut it in half and connect it to the inverter.
20160222_192150.jpg
20160222_192541.jpg

It took a while to work where to connect it in the factory wiring but now that I have it all sorted it works great. Switches from mains to inverter flawlessly.
I first had it wired so all power point except the battery charger power point were powered of the inverter but have now also the air con and hot water are not powered by the inverter. It took a bit more wiring at the 3 way splitter from the circuit breaker but definitely an improvement.
Basic diagram
20160822_125840.jpg 20160821_205233.jpg

Check out my thread, page 3 is the start of the inverter install and then I made some adjustment to how i connected it on page 12.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/my-basestation.8381/

Last edited: