another newbie expanda buyer (hopefully!!)

boshie

Nov 21, 2011
Hi All,

I've been looking at buying a 2nd hand 2007 Expanda 18-57-6 and was looking for some advice from other expanda owners. We have 3 young kids and the one I'm looking at has a triple bunk setup which I thought was perfect, along with toilet/shower. We are hoping to take the kids around Oz next year for 12 months (oh bliss!!).

I noticed they were quite heavy (1890 tare from memory), and we have a 2004 Mitsubishi Pajero. The car is in great nick and has a 2.5 tonne towing capacity. So I'm assuming that the van would be pretty heavy once its loaded (even though we'll try to travel light). Do you think the Pajero will cope??

Also, I thought I read that the bunks are not full length single beds - is this true??

Any other thoughts/comments would be much appreciated.

Thanx all
Boshie

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Boshie
Welcome to the forum.

Mitsubishi recommended a heavy duty tow kit for the upper limits. Check if yours is, if a factory installed unit. If marked light duty, (and I don't know the difference) it would be best to have it inspected to see see if suitable. If any aftermarket unit such as Hayman Reese, check the compliance tag on it to see the limit. The vehicle itself should be fine, although it will be getting at it's limit though, so you will be gobbling the juice.

There is also around 620kg of load allowance in the vehicle which includes passengers and fuel. Check directly with Mitsubishi if the towball weight needs to be subtracted from the Load weight, as that will also affect your limits.....620kg, less passengers approx 250kg - depending of age of kids, fuel 90 litres @ 77kg, 190kg tow ball = 103 kg left for anything else, luggage, fridge, roof racks and load, bull bar, winch etc etc. (however this affects all vehicles not just the Paj)

Lastly, A NP paj must have a load level hitch installed when towing over 135kg on the tow ball.

I can't comment on the bed lengths, but if you have opportunity, lie down on it and see how it fits for you, and the wife, and the kids. I can fit on our bunks in the 17' model.

Good luck with the decisions, and ask any question here you can think of. There's plenty of help and helpers available here.

Cheers
Andrew

BeerAcan

Oct 19, 2011
brisbane qld
Hi Boshie,

We have a 2009 Expanda 18-57-6 OB with the 2 bunks in it, we have 2 young kids 15 months and and 3 years old. On the outback the tare is 1990 and max is 2440 i think, We are towing it with a 2006 terracan 2.8 crdi with a 2.5 tonne towing capacity. it doesn't have any problems towing it so i don't think your Pajero would have any problem.

I think the bunks are around 190cm long

hope this helped

tim
:welcome:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Hi Boshie, welcome!:wave:

2007 models - are they the "Hard Lid" models? If not I'd be sure that they had a bed fly over the fold out main bed. Won't need it all the time, but handy in very hot or wet weather. Much easier to set up than the camper trailer flies too.

Nice van you are looking at. Heavy but the Paj will cope(Petrol or diesel?):smokin:

boshie

Nov 21, 2011
Wow, thanks for the valuable advice.

@ Bank of Dad - what do you mean by "hard lid" - are you meaning a caravan or a pop top?
and what is a fly over the main bed??

excuse my naivity
thanks again
boshie

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Resized640x480_D1334701297284_C.jpg

The bit over the bed end is the hard lid.

Resized330x235_D4276101168850_A.jpg

This is the type you are looking at - no hard lid. The rolled up bit over the bed is the fly. Not all have them, but they are not expensive ($180 or so) to have fitted. You set them up with 3 camp poles and guy ropes. Keeps the rain and sun from direct contact with the bed roof.