Annexe tie downs question

Oct 13, 2012
Hi all,

finally picked up the new 17.56-1 on Saturday just in time for Christmas. Hand over was nice and quick and everything in order and very happy with it. The only questions I have is in relation to the wind out annexe, firstly does anyone have a guide as to how many holes down the bar should we clip the poles in at when they are folded down off the van? are there any tips and tricks as far as getting the anti flap kit hole facing the right direction when putting the full annexe on, lastly, as far as tying the annexe arms down when they are off the van, the guy at Jayco suggested just looping a guy rope over the ends and pegging it out but has anyone got any other ideas or modified guy ropes that can clip onto the ends for extra support?

thanks all for the help.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
As dealer described is how we do it. [MENTION=2089]Burnsy[/MENTION] and some others have done a mod by installing a fitting into the awning and hooking ion to that. There is also a mob on ebay selling metal hooks designed to go over the awning tube for this purpose .

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I try to line the deflapper kit hole up in such a way to not stretch the awning canvas when clamping the awning in place. For me, that means the hole is closer to the top as opposed to facing directly towards the van.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
TW,

Here are some pics of the tie-down points I added to the awning. 10 minutes work.

I have used marine grade stainless steel eye nuts and bolts. You need to keep the bolt head low so the arm that tracks up inside the awning pole does not hit it.

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

As to how many holes to set the awning legs at, this depends on caravan model and how level the ground you are on is. You want the top pole to be level at 90 degrees to your van if you are fitting the full annexe so all the walls line up & fit correctly.

Prestige Jayco have marked with a texta the 9th hole down from the top for our van - which is a 17.56-2 Outback model, so again, this might be different.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rohan

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Top idea with the eye bolt, but put a nylon washer between the aluminuim and the stainless steel, and cover the bolt shaft in heat shink, as it will carode badly where the 2 metals meet, try not to let any stainless touch the aluminuim.

Greg

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I have two methods and finally got around to taking a pic while away...

Either the eyelet in the upright, similar to Ronem's, or a Velco strap around the drum. I tend to use the second for higher wind, just to ensure the screws don't put strain on the upright, and movement of the drum doesn't put presure on that little connection to the upright.
The sureHook is just a 300/450/600mm full velcro strap with a swivel hook.

IMG_0481.JPG