Almost wait over....

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
Only 3 sleeps to go till we pick up the new expanda on Monday :heh:

They reckon (Jayco Canberra) it will take 2 to 3 hours to brief us and do the handover!! Seems a long time to me but I'm in no rush.

I wonder if there was any question(s) you wished you had asked on your handover that you didnt... save me some frustration please!

cheers
John

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I didn't buy mine new so I never got a real handover but the things that I'd like explained in depth (and they, Jayco, probably will) is:

The toilet
The electrics (battery, what switches do what, when to use the pump, when to switch the battery switch, etc)
The awning
Scratch and dent repair
Washing
What are their most common repairs?
General tips and hints.

Pretty much all those questions are answered here but grill them.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Bought mine pre-loved but still had a couple of hours handover. It's hard to be patient when you're so excited and keen to get going, but it's worth paying attention. Take some notes, especially re the awning, the electrics and the HWS, and the toilet like Brookes suggests. See if you've got the original documentation for appliances, toilet, awning–they can be really handy. Then practise. I find it now all comes naturally but it was a steep learning curve made easier with the support on this forum.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
My handover was a good 3hrs and I hardly asked a single question!
There is a lot to go through plus you will need to hook up, look at wdh and possibly fit mirrors etc.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Not what I wished I ask but what i usually check :)

Here is a bit obviously dependent on the extras you have so feel free to omit anything:

Exterior -

Awning (Roll in, out, remove legs from van and stand them up, how much tension and roll back in)
Annexe (Setup, packup etc)
Gas system (How to switch bottles, operate stove, gas bayonets if you have them)
Beds (How to drop, close and securely lock with fly screens)
Breakaway System (Make sure you know how to connect to car for safety and operation of breaksafe)
Spare tyre (Where is the jack, bar to spin it up and tyre iron and how to get the spare off)
Tyres (Nitrogen filled how to get replacement air if it goes flat, can you fill them up at a servo??)
Drop Down Jacks (Where is the rotator, how to put down and up and best way to level van. Also check you have a leveller in the van they usually give you one)
External Shower (Working and how to operate)
Brakes (Brake controller setup and working correctly and how to adjust)
Gas Bayonet (How to connect, fitting needed, where they are located)
Hot water (Turn on / off, Change from Gas / Electric)
Trunk door (Where they are located and how to operate some are tricky like the hot water one)
Picnic table (How to operate)
Water (Turn valves on water tanks to change from tank water / mains water)
Solar Panels (How to operate, where they are etc)
Cleaning the van (How to wash, with what products etc)
Water fitting (How to connect mains water, fitting required and type of hose required)
Power 240 input (How to connect power to the van)
Antenna (How to connect antenna to the van and what socket is required)
Waste hoses for shower and sink (Does it have the two into socket drain if its a shower model, where to connect, waste pipe etc)
Roof (How to undo latches, how to adjust them, what is the right tension adjustment for them)
All exterior lighting working (Annexe light / Indicators etc)

Interior -

Battery (What to have switched on when driving so battery charges)
Roof (Single operated procedure for putting up and down)
Toilet (Remove waste tank, refilling waste tank, refilling wash tank, flushing, using the unit hole open or closed big debate :) )
TV Antenna (How to switch from powered roof antenna to side wall antenna)
Stereo (How to turn on off, switch speakers if you have outdoor speakers)
Bunks (How to collapse, safe for travelling, ladder security and placement)
Water system (How to use water filter, hand pump tap, mains tap, where the water pump is, is it plugged in and working, hot water working to shower and sink)
Microwave (Plugged in and working, where is the manual etc)
Stove and Griller (Plugged in and working)
Air con (How to turn on, cool, heat etc and if it is roof mounted how to operate the remote)
All drawers / cupboards (Make sure they have all screws in them and open close)
Windows (How to open and close everyone)
Locks EVERY SINGLE ONE (Make sure they all work and all keys have a place to go)
Bed Converter (How to convert bed)
Power Points Internal and External (Where are they and are they working on 240 and 12 volt. Take a car phone charger and a house charger and plug your phone into all sockets with both chargers and make sure they have power)
Range Hood (Make sure working, how to operate)
Light switches (Make sure all working and have something they operate)
Fuse box (Where it is, what to replace and when)
Battery (Where is it, plugged in etc)

This will obviously depend on which mods you have but is generally what we check :)!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Thats about the norm for a Jayco Dealer I think. Bayswater took about 2 hours with us on the Eagle and about the same or a half hour longer with the Expanda.

Its valuable time Bugsy - write your questions and what you want to check down on a list plus take your final order confirmation with you too.

Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Its funny hearing how long all everyones hand over is when we picked up our OB Hawk it was about 45 min max and that was Bayswater Jayco.

When I went down and picked up the Expanda this time Page Bros Jayco it was less than an hour later and I was driving out the gate with a new Expanda on the back. :car:

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Its funny hearing how long all everyones hand over is when we picked up our OB Hawk it was about 45 min max and that was Bayswater Jayco.

When I went down and picked up the Expanda this time Page Bros Jayco it was less than an hour later and I was driving out the gate with a new Expanda on the back. :car:

Do you think once they realize you are onto a second expanda that they are a bit quicker in their handover?
The first one took hours. The second one was a lot quicker.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
my hand over was completely different, i bought the van off the wifes cousin so the hand over basically went like this, theres the fridge get me a can, now help me get all my crap out of the van, get me another can there you go its all yours. so last weekend was learning the hard way how everything worked. first lesson learned was when dropping the roof remove sunglasses from top of head and bend the knees im obiously 2 inches taller than what i thought.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Do you think once they realize you are onto a second expanda that they are a bit quicker in their handover?
The first one took hours. The second one was a lot quicker.

Maybe Brad, although I never had a toilet,HWS or shower before but you could be right. Half the fun is working everything out though :smile:

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
Got it!! ...now to start the mods.

DSCF0525.JPGDSCF0528.JPG

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Congratulations, Bugeye. Nice set up there. Where to begin, indeed? Take time to plan your mods. A few minutes probably...then into it. Expandas are an obsession, so don't put off the inevitable. Just wandering around you new van looking at it can soon start neighbours talking, so I recommend you carry a screwdriver, tape measure or coil of wire, at all times.

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
yep.... already have solar controller and inverter at home...(arrived before van)
Ordered privacy ends from Valley Canvas/holiday annexes today... ordered 390w of solar panels yesterday... and on and on...
now just have to find time to set it all up properly! :whoo: