advice

Karl

Dec 30, 2012
Hi all looking at buying a Jayco Expanda 16.49.1B Brand New. I have upgraded to a large fridge, added a hot water pump put the air con on the roof, out door shower and privacy screens
Just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions before we order the van.
Also I have a Toyota Prado 150 series D4D Turbo how many litres per 100 would I be looking at getting when towing.
I have also thought about getting the car chipped, anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Karl

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome Karl,

Are you looking at an outback or standard model?

- gas bayonete
- a couple of directional lights above the dinette
- wall mount for TV

There are heaps more options, but it depends on if you intend on traveling off road with it or intend to go to caravan parks only and always try and plug into a mains power point.

As for chipping the car, if you search this forum you will find my thread on the horror story of buying a cheap chip.
So for that one, it would have to be top of the line all the way.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
As Brad says what do you want to do with your van -on road / off road as there are many options the list is really endless ..

Greg & Janette

Dec 29, 2012
Hi

We have just put in an order for a new van (16.49.4) and had the same questions about options for the Expanda. Just wondering what the general view about the Jayco Antenna was.. Are they worth the $$?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have heard positive reviews on them.
Just be careful with pop top weight though. Especially if you already plan to kit up with roof a/c and solar.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome Karl, great forum this if you haven't all ready seen all the advice, help and comments shared amongst members. By the week is out you'll have a better idea of what you'll need and what you'll want on your new van, once you convince the finance manager for the $$$$$$$. LOL.

Re: the Prado, don't bother with the chip, i think its a very capable vehicle.

Cheers Pace.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi

We have just put in an order for a new van (16.49.4) and had the same questions about options for the Expanda. Just wondering what the general view about the Jayco Antenna was.. Are they worth the $$?

If the Antenna is the new Winegard sensar then yes I would have it done, they are supposed to be the Ducks Guts. I'm toying with the idea of putting one on mine just trying to get my head around how i'm going to run the cables, would have been good to have them concealed in roof from new

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome Karl to the friendly forum. Lots of advice freely given as you can see. The only thing I can add to what has been suggested is an extended chassis, great for extra boxes or bike racks.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
My Mods since owning a Panda

1. In house battery
2. Solar panels on roof
3. Outside 12 Volt shower
4. Bike racks on van A Frame
5. Exterior Bed End Canvas covers
6. Side mounted Towel Rail
7. Inline 12 volt water pump

Coming soon
1. Shelves in cupboards
2. Car stereo mp3 player
3. Pole carrier at rear

Greg & Janette

Dec 29, 2012
I have been lead to believe that Jayco has their own version of the antenna. I think I need to do a bit more homework. Thanks for the heads up on the Winegard.

prado

Dec 2, 2012
Warrnambool, Victoria.
I have been lead to believe that Jayco has their own version of the antenna. I think I need to do a bit more homework. Thanks for the heads up on the Winegard.

Hi Greg & janeete,

On the new jaycos, my was picked up and the end of november, if you order a roof mounted aerial it will be a winegard sensar. It is a multiple directional unit and works a treat. Would highly recommend it.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
We are towing a 17.56ob with the prado and after our last trip we were using 16.5l per 100klms, that was with a lot of hilly driving. Don't chip it just put on a snorkel and a slightly larger exhaust and your away

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
hi and welcome! battery power, external shower and the gas bayonete are my picks, we have the same model van but the Outback version.
Good luck

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Greg and Janette,
agree with Prado, we are on our first trip with our Panda, and the sensar has been trouble free.

Hi Karl,
Welcome to the forum, I wouldn't worry about the Prado at all. We pull the 18 with ours and it pulls it without a worry in the world, and thats at 2.5t.
As for economy it will vary a fair bit dependant on road,weather and speed, with our van in tow, we have run between 12 (90km no wind or hills) and 19 (100-105km and headwind). There are just so many variables, again I wouldn't worry about it to much. Like yours, ours is also diesel.
you can see our options here:

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/2029-My-Expanda-18-57-6

we are on our first trip, and very happy with all the options, and wouldn't cross any off the list, now that we have had a chance to use the van.
So far the ones I love the most are:
Ibis Air (fantastic)
the solar pack
12v onboard
folding dining table
2x gas bayonet (great for the weber with front and back position option)
extra outside LED lights
Outside shower (boys are using this all the time)
outside table and TV/power points
We also love the 150l fridge, but it depends I guess on the size of the family, suits our family.

the only one I wish we had, but was to late to add, was the extended draw bar, would highly recommend the "outback" for extra clearance, this has already been a benefit for us. Would liked to have Simplicity Suspension but ran out of Cash and the extra weight was a Towing capacity issue with the Prado. We were at our limit.

Hope that helps, It was the other members help that helped us customise our panda and we just love it.

jas