18' Series Adding solar panel and Reg to existing system

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
hi I have an expanda with 120w roof solar panel. Uses the installed factory regulator with no problems. I want to add in my portable panel to the same battery when required as I can direct it to the sun and achieve more amps. It also has a regulator that I would like to put straight on the battery. Will two seperate systems cause more harm than good? I don't want to destroy the battery, regulators or the drifter panel.
It's a pain in the arse but I could run the wiring to the installed regulator then it's all though the same system.

Any thoughts guys. I'm sure this has been done multiple time before.

Cheers

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep.

Best and easier way...to avoid conflict between two separate and different panels...is to connect directly to the battery via an Anderson plug and a second regulator.

Portable panel will have a blocking diode and needs its own regulator and if you install an Anderson (on draw bar for example) with suitable wire size, run it directly to battery, and just put a regulator on the portable as close as possible to battery.

I found the easiest way was to make up a lead with Anderson, make up Anderson connectors to the regulator so I have the option to use a regulator or not and connect reg to Anderson, then panel to regulator. The draw bar is close enough to the battery for it to work ok, rather than stuck on the panel itself. Panel also is close to waterproof and reg can be protected if it rains.

(We use the panel at home for different purposes so wanted it to be a flexible system)

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
I want to add in my portable panel to the same battery when required as I can direct it to the sun and achieve more amps. It also has a regulator that I would like to put straight on the battery.

Yep, great idea and one that many others have done.

Will two seperate systems cause more harm than good?

They certainly will have some interaction going on between them which may affect their efficiency. There is no doubt that the "best" way would be to run to the installed regulator but you will still get a benefit either way.

I don't want to destroy the battery, regulators or the drifter panel.

It is very unlikely that you will cause any damage, the regulators would need to be very poorly designed to react that badly. Remember your drifter already has to deal with the setec when you are on 240v and charge power from your vehicle if you have a line run from there. So adding another power source is not a world ender.

Remember the setec has a 14.8v maximum limit so the portable panel should not exceed that. You should also monitor the battery to make sure all is good.

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
Thanks guys I have already fitted the fused Anderson plug directly to the battery then I started to wonder if it would conflict. I thought one would have the 14v and then hat happens to the amps from both? The panel on the roof is 120w and the littl one is an 80w so thy will differ in out puts also.

I do like the idea of just plugging it in. That's how simple the old swan was

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
In the few times we needed to use while camping, it worked fine but it was used more to keep the battery up while the van was in the shed so roof panels didn't work.

The portable is just left outside, hooked up and forgotten. It's been wet, blown about and gets lots of bird crap deposited on it but has kept the battery fully charged....and that's with a cheap regulator from eBay.
(I do sometimes check all is ok with a voltage meter, also hooked up on the Anderson plug circuit....it ain't pretty but it works)

The same principal means you can camp in the shade and get the solar charge easily ...which is what most people want.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Thanks guys I have already fitted the fused Anderson plug directly to the battery then I started to wonder if it would conflict. I thought one would have the 14v and then hat happens to the amps from both? The panel on the roof is 120w and the littl one is an 80w so thy will differ in out puts also.

The power from both panels will be used to charge the battery. The fact that one panel is bigger than the other will not cause any problems, it just means that the larger panel will (potentially) be able to supply more than the smaller panel if needed. As @Dobbie has said above he (and many many others) uses the same setup without any issues.

I do sometimes check all is ok with a voltage meter, also hooked up on the Anderson plug circuit....it ain't pretty but it works

That is good, it always pays to check now and then

I do like the idea of just plugging it in. That's how simple the old swan was

Yes that is the advantage of a portable unit with the regulator on board. We have a similar setup and also use the panel on the tug's second battery when we are camping without the van. Just plugs into the anderson and keeps the waeco happy. Also use it to keep the boat battery topped up too.

Reactions: Drover