16' Series Abnormal Tyre Wear

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
I was crawling around under the Expanda yesterday in the shed and noticed my tyre wear was a bit uneven.
Aside from the tyres needing a bit more inflation (and no, I won't be putting Nitrogen in them), I think I'm in need of a wheel alignment - both (L&R) tyres are wearing more on the outside tread than middle and inside, also a bit "saw-toothed" when you run your hand over them.

Pretty disappointed with Jayco dealer, it was only in here for service a sort time ago. They should pick this kind of stuff up. I will be telling the dealer about it, but won't be getting them to do the alignment!

Anyone else had similar issues with the J-tec suspension on the outbacks?

Cheers,
Paul

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know mine keep loosing air slowly - or Nitrogen

waste of fekken time the Nitrogen (my thoughts) and yes, I think the rims are from the cactii batch they had

not bothered, as I always check the air in the tyres before a trip (force of habit) and just pump them up - in two weeks, they only lost like 15lb

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
15lb is way too much. Nitrogen waste of money but I would put a bit of slime in the tyres, works a treat stopping the leaks plus the green telltale shows you where, no balance problems with it either.

Find a Truck Alighn workshop they have the set up to sort the axle out a normal tyre place doesnt.

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
What'd reckon would be the specs on the trailer wheels @Drover ? Maybe a tad of neg camber? Would they be straight or agin a tad of toe in? My duals have done about 12-15k now and look good so am using the "ain't broke , don't fix it approach" but will check eventually. I have an old Dunlop camber gauge so I should find it a check what they are now?

Reactions: Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I know mine keep loosing air slowly - or Nitrogen

waste of fekken time the Nitrogen (my thoughts) and yes, I think the rims are from the cactii batch they had

not bothered, as I always check the air in the tyres before a trip (force of habit) and just pump them up - in two weeks, they only lost like 15lb

Comom @bigcol i was glad I had nitrogen in the tyres for when I took the Expanda for its hot lap of Bathurst.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Good question @achjimmy , when I replaced my suspension ,while only a single axle, I was wondering how things were going to turn out all I did was square up using the hitch as a datum and just using a square and spirit level couldn't really tell if I had any toe or camber but now with about 3000k up on these tyres no sign of wear so I must have fluked it.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
15lb is way too much. Nitrogen waste of money but I would put a bit of slime in the tyres, works a treat stopping the leaks plus the green telltale shows you where, no balance problems with it either.

Comom @bigcol i was glad I had nitrogen in the tyres for when I took the Expanda for its hot lap of Bathurst.

the plan is to fit 16' when I can get the rims I want........ (to match the Pooie) hence the "not bothered" attitude.........

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
the plan is to fit 16' when I can get the rims I want........ (to match the Pooie) hence the "not bothered" attitude.........

When I found the POS rim on the Expanda cracked, as the spare I bought a 15x7 mine spec sunraysia, and was then going to redo the Expanda with 16"s as not only the tyres have higher rating but the rims do to.

It was going to be Same again mine spec sunnies. Pretty sure the offset was Pootrol as well?

Only downside to the sunnies was they probably added 3-5kg per rim

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think the off set is standard Patrol
but the stud pattern is Landcruiser - (Patrol rims still fit - just tight on the studs and hub)

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Not yet, I've only done about 150kms but by this time next month I may have an idea. Yippee, 1st major trip away starts next Saturday. :bounce::bounce:
Where are you and Elaine heading Paul? All I can say is - ENJOY!
By the way did you do anything with that narrow pantry?
Bill

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Good question @achjimmy , when I replaced my suspension ,while only a single axle, I was wondering how things were going to turn out all I did was square up using the hitch as a datum and just using a square and spirit level couldn't really tell if I had any toe or camber but now with about 3000k up on these tyres no sign of wear so I must have engineered it.

fixed it for you @Drover ;)

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The sunnies I fitted on mine were 6 stud tojo I think, the offset was a lot more than the OE rims but still fitted, I think the rim details are noted here somewhere. I fitted a rim then measured from bead to chassis, allowed 35mm for tyre bagging and I had room left, so I popped on the rims with tyres and we have about 30mm clearance from chassis, heaps. These rims have an 1120 load rating.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Have you guys also had the wheels balanced, as they don't do them from factory, nor the dealers

Find a Truck Align workshop they have the set up to sort the axle out a normal tyre place doesn't.

Yep what he said,, Pro-Axle is the go. if you have one around

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Where are you and Elaine heading Paul? All I can say is - ENJOY!
By the way did you do anything with that narrow pantry?
Bill
G'day Bill, we are off to the Airlie Beach meet with the North Queenslanders then 5 nights on Daydream Island. Looking forward to the holiday and meeting with a number of the forum members.

I have virtually finished the pull-out pantry, it just need some sort of lock to stop it opening during travel. I will post some pics shortly.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I was crawling around under the Expanda yesterday in the shed and noticed my tyre wear was a bit uneven.
Aside from the tyres needing a bit more inflation (and no, I won't be putting Nitrogen in them), I think I'm in need of a wheel alignment - both (L&R) tyres are wearing more on the outside tread than middle and inside, also a bit "saw-toothed" when you run your hand over them.

Pretty disappointed with Jayco dealer, it was only in here for service a sort time ago. They should pick this kind of stuff up. I will be telling the dealer about it, but won't be getting them to do the alignment!

Anyone else had similar issues with the J-tec suspension on the outbacks?

Cheers,
Paul
Funny you should say, my front on the passengers side is the worst but both passenger side tyres are wearing noticeably on the outer tread. Not sure how the tyre shop would go if I rocked up with the van looking for an alignment??

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I have virtually finished the pull-out pantry, it just need some sort of lock to stop it opening during travel. I will post some pics shortly.

Yes please looking forward to pics @chartrock . I am contemplating the same idea hence a post a few days ago on cupboard door sizes as I can open the cupboard space up another 60mm but need a new door to cover it.

Brad & Donna

May 13, 2013
Townsville
Funny you should say, my front on the passengers side is the worst but both passenger side tyres are wearing noticeably on the outer tread. Not sure how the tyre shop would go if I rocked up with the van looking for an alignment??

Mines the same @bigman0510 , driver side perfect and harsh wear only on the very outer of the passenger side. I put it down some what to the heavily cambered roads in the bush, those offside tyre cop a fair hammering running down on the shoulder. In saying that I'm sure wheel alignment and balance would certainly help.
Be interested to catch up at Airlie and see if our wear matches

Cheers

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Mines the same @bigman0510 , driver side perfect and harsh wear only on the very outer of the passenger side. I put it down some what to the heavily cambered roads in the bush, those offside tyre cop a fair hammering running down on the shoulder. In saying that I'm sure wheel alignment and balance would certainly help.
Be interested to catch up at Airlie and see if our wear matches

Cheers

For sure mate, it's funny I read this thread, because I only noticed the wear the other day.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
If anyone gets a alignment done be sure to post up what type of W/Shop did it and $$. I wouldnt mind having mine checked.