Toy Hauler A few more mods

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hi all,

Just a few more mods to the Basestation, as time and funds permit.

My wife always admired these handles so got her one for Christmas.
image.jpg

Moved the front water tank to the rear. The gaps in the chassis rails get narrower at the rear presumably yo handle any load, so this was as far back as it would fit.
Also added a second gas tap to the rear - this was where we wanted it but Jayco insisted that it was installed at the front.
image.jpg

Not actually a mod to the camper, but painted a line on the shed floor to hopefully help reverse it into the correct position. Time will tell if this helps.
image.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Only way to do it, just adjust the mirror down a bit and all should be good, you did make sure the other side of the van fits in the doorway when you follow the line ????????.............I'm serious, a fella I knew painted a line on his shed floor for his boat, lined it up and promptly hit the off side on the door frame..................true story and it wasn't me, I just drove into my shed with the towing mirrors on, they don't fit very well.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Only way to do it, just adjust the mirror down a bit and all should be good, you did make sure the other side of the van fits in the doorway when you follow the line ????????.............I'm serious, a fella I knew painted a line on his shed floor for his boat, lined it up and promptly hit the off side on the door frame..................true story and it wasn't me, I just drove into my shed with the towing mirrors on, they don't fit very well.
Yes, it does fit through the shed door, provided I line it up straight enough. Main issue in the past and hence the reason for the line is no clear point of reference to get the camper square to the shed. Unfortunately have to reverse through front gates at a slight angle so don't have best visibility of where I want the camper to end up! Certainly helps when returning from a trip with caravan mirrors attached but not so easy if just moving camper out and back in for other reasons when no other need to fit extra mirrors.

Reactions: Drover

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Grass paint in a spray can......................or just lay out the garden hose, makes a great temporary line and is always handy.

I actually use a couple of witches hats to line up the gate.

Can't wait till I can get the gates widened.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I know what you mean @paulygrant , I have to reverse into mine at a slight angle to miss a bush and am always worried about the blind corner as I can't turn until the lastminute and don't get a line until I'm straight, have to put my mirrors on, very annoying.

Reactions: bigcol

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Over the last few weeks, I've installed a new water inlet to replace the cheap plastic connector that from past experience always developed drips down the side of the vehicle.
Also fitted 2 new reading lights above the front seats after seeing them at the caravan show. They are blue / white LEDs.
Final photo shows the marine battery switch fitted that controls which battery is connected to the charger. 1 only; 2 only; both; or none. Also fitted a voltage meter for both, into a new wardrobe - still to fit the door but have to buy a latch first so might have to wait until after next weekends trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 443
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 429
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 437

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A gate valve, interesting, Why ???

So thats what those lights look like, I like them, was looking at some for $25 at Bne Camperland.

I'm thinking of making covers or switch off units with leds, at night the whole joint is lit up, power meter has a red glow, USB has blue, AC has a amber glow, microwave green, fridge has 3 flamin amber lights, tv and various power supplys, some little stickers needed.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I'm thinking of making covers or switch off units with leds, at night the whole joint is lit up, power meter has a red glow, USB has blue, AC has a amber glow, microwave green, fridge has 3 flamin amber lights, tv and various power supplys, some little stickers needed.
Leave them alone @Drover, at least you wont have to buy a Christmas tree for the van. :behindsofa:

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
A gate valve, interesting, Why ???

So thats what those lights look like, I like them, was looking at some for $25 at Bne Camperland.

To fit the valve wasn't much more effort so why not? I suppose if the non return valve failed whilst using tank water via the pump. I plan to click a spare hose connector over the end when travelling to keep it clean.
The lights are actually more blue in real life, or completely white - not sure why the photo shows a bit of both? It was on he blue setting when I look the photo.

Reactions: Rockape and Drover

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi all,

Just a few more mods to the Basestation, as time and funds permit.

My wife always admired these handles so got her one for Christmas.
View attachment 37724

Moved the front water tank to the rear. The gaps in the chassis rails get narrower at the rear presumably yo handle any load, so this was as far back as it would fit.
Also added a second gas tap to the rear - this was where we wanted it but Jayco insisted that it was installed at the front.
View attachment 37725

Not actually a mod to the camper, but painted a line on the shed floor to hopefully help reverse it into the correct position. Time will tell if this helps.
View attachment 37726

The 'Australian made' sticker is covering the hole?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have a hose end connection with a bit of para cord tied in a big knot where the hose would go, this blocks bug entry with the end of the cord tied off so I don't loose the thing when I have a hose plugged on, very effective. A spare John Guest non return is cheaper than the valve but I like the idea, wish I had thought of it.

Really like the Lamps though.

Big Mal can look like Xmas at night inside, Bah Humbug to that..

Reactions: bigcol

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
The 'Australian made' sticker is covering the hole?
Yes - filled the original hole with silicone then repositioned the sticker. Then installed the handle with the new bolt holes hidden behind the back cushion of the seat, and added a switch to the side of the seat at the footwell. The only difficult bit was trying to get the original handle off without damaging the wall due to the amount of silicone Jayco used.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Over the last few weeks, I've installed a new water inlet to replace the cheap plastic connector that from past experience always developed drips down the side of the vehicle.
Also fitted 2 new reading lights above the front seats after seeing them at the caravan show. They are blue / white LEDs.
Final photo shows the marine battery switch fitted that controls which battery is connected to the charger. 1 only; 2 only; both; or none. Also fitted a voltage meter for both, into a new wardrobe - still to fit the door but have to buy a latch first so might have to wait until after next weekends trip.

Looks good, I like the reading lights. My wife is after a reading light behind her head for when reading in bed but that is in the tent section so I do not know what I am going to do yet.
I notice you only have the one waste outlet now. Did you do your grey water tank?

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Looks good, I like the reading lights. My wife is after a reading light behind her head for when reading in bed but that is in the tent section so I do not know what I am going to do yet.
I notice you only have the one waste outlet now. Did you do your grey water tank?
I have been contemplating how to fit a reading light at be beds as well. Not top of my list but if I come across something, will give it a go.
Only tried the new plumbing 1 night so far and went well, but will reserve judgement until after next weekend. Decided not to fit a tank for now, but one option to enable me to control its size therefore its location is to use 100mm drainage pipe with various bends and ends rather that a purpose made tank.
Next on the list is to install LED high level lights above the rear door that I bought the other week. Similar to your brake light, but split between brake and indicator. Deliberating whether to mount next to the factory running lights, or to replace the factory lights and also use the tail light of the new lights. Since I generally tow with my headlights on, the noticability of the brakes would be greater if they weren't already half illuminated?.....

Reactions: Base23 and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had thoughts of a reading light, using the same sort of snazy one in the pic but with a light coil cable with a velcro pad on the light base and on the bend end...........................

Build your own grey water tank use 150mm one run across the width should give you nearly 40lts, 2 runs is better ,tuck behind the wheels and if you travel with it full, weight isn't a problem and its clear of being a hang up, plus unlike the shop bought jobs you can clean it out with just a quick hose and not need "S"bends, it will also drain uphill.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Next on the list is to install LED high level lights above the rear door that I bought the other week. Similar to your brake light, but split between brake and indicator. Deliberating whether to mount next to the factory running lights, or to replace the factory lights and also use the tail light of the new lights. Since I generally tow with my headlights on, the noticability of the brakes would be greater if they weren't already half illuminated?.....
I also was undecided about wiring up the taillight part of the high level brake light because like you said it would be more noticeable as a brake light only but endend up conecting it as a brake and tail light because i like to see lots of lights.

Reactions: Drover