A/C not getting cold

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
I thought I would try out the Dometic roof top air yesterday as it was a warm day and noticed that it was not cold the compressor was running so I no that works I had it set on 16dg coldest setting but was not cooling the van down could it be possible that it needs regasing it is a late 2009 model any body else had this problem .

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Rod

It's a good chance it does need re-gasing, I was talking to a fridge/AC techno guy a while back, he said the biggest killer of van fridges and A/C units is lack of use., he recommends they be switched on aleast once a month and run for a few hours.
naturally that isn't always possible for people who cant/dont store their van at home.

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
Hi Bushman yeah the previous owner didn't use the van for about 18 months then I bought it not long ago so I think I might have to get it regased but I will be defiantly be using it more often then what he did .

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Are you getting any error messages? Worth getting it checked out by an authorised Dometic A/C service company. I had mine done and they found a cracked pipe, repaired it, pressure tested and regassed for about $450. They recommended regular yearly servicing, depending on useage you could probably stretch that to 2 years. Suggested to run unit once a month similar to what @Bushman was advised.

Reactions: jvp and Rod.F

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
Well not the answer i was after ,I had 2 different authorised A/C dealers look at it they both told me the same thing the compressor has spat the oil out and it is not repairable from where it has come out from and Dometic don,t list just the compressor as a spare part so i am up for a whole new complete unit not what you would expect from a 3 year old unit and 1 week before we go away in it. :censored:

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Well not the answer i was after ,I had 2 different authorised A/C dealers look at it they both told me the same thing the compressor has spat the oil out and it is not repairable from where it has come out from and Dometic don,t list just the compressor as a spare part so i am up for a whole new complete unit not what you would expect from a 3 year old unit and 1 week before we go away in it. :censored:

Ouch, that hurts (the wallet at least).

BJ

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Strange you cant buy the part unless its one of those things where it is not viable to repair due to labour costs. A bit like if your axe head breaks, you are better off buying a new axe instead of fixing it!:) At least you know what brand not to get.

Thought they had to keep parts for 7 or so years?

Wow just checked prices online, not cheap and not much choice on brands.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Good to hear you've got A/C again! I think the seller would of known about that.....be worth a call I recon!

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
No it was from a private seller he is only going to say it was fine the last time he used it the 2 people that looked at it think because it had not been used for such a long time that's what May have caused it so I will defiantly be running the fridge & a/c Unit a lot more often now .