Exterior 4 seasons vent, water leak

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Both of our vents had started to have a small leak in a front corner. Fortunately it was very light rain. I was able to cover the worst one with some plastic and some small rocks to weigh it down for the night. It justified my purchase of a collapsible ladder 2 years ago for getting up to the roof. The following day I looked up there and saw that pressing down on the plastic sheeting that passes for a roof outer layer on this earlier model exposed gaps in the factory silicone sealing around a fair bit of both vents. I've smeared more silicone all around both vent edges and it seems to be holding. Should survive for rest of trip, hopefully, and I'll probably then re-do the whole lot myself and probably a lot better than they did. Their silicone didn't bond well to either the roof or vent plastic's. Toilet/shower vent and TV antenna mount look OK but can't see enough under airconditioner to check it. Not enough time down here to have a Dealer do it and not sure about Dealer back home.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Its frustrating (and damn right insulting) @PhilD when they persist in using a sealer that wont adhere to the surfaces they put it on. They either couldn't care less, or their techs are half wits

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I feel your pain @PhilD We have just returned from a week on the NSW South coast and got treaded to 3 days of torrential rain just when you though it maybe gone down it came again virtually none stop, On Tuesday returning to the van to find the Donna wet (luckily we had put spare it at the last minute) on closer inspection I found water dripping from the front corner of the 4 season hatch, :( Thought I had left it open but no, it was coming under the edge of the inside plastic cowling, removed the cowling to find a not so dry spot :o. It was a constant drip quarter filling a 5 litre bucket over night.
There wasn't a lot we could do due to the foul weather couldn't get up to tarp it at the time

Many thanks must go to Andrew from AHA Motorhomes (a mobile service guy) would took time out to climb up at have a look at what he could do before he checked out, however due to the weather not a lot could be done.

I have been it touch with the factory who are now in the process of organising the repair.

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We had the same issue with the hatch from day one. Took it to a Jayco service Agent and when I mentioned what happened he knew the problem as it is/was a common issue.

The material used on the newer hatches were smooth where they seal and the silastic/sikaflex wouldn't stick to it.... Removed the hatch, roughed it up with sandpaper, applied silicon/sikaflex and refitted. All good to this day and the van is currently sitting outside in near torrential rain. Just went out and checked!!!!!!!!

Main reason for checking was to check the resealing I did on the Winegaurd last weekend after fitting the mohile/data aerial to it and changing one of the aerial cables.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
[QUOTE="Bushman, post: 120202, member: 731" feel your pain @PhilD We have just returned from a week on the NSW South coast and got treaded to 3 days of torrential rain just when you though it maybe gone down it came again virtually none stop, On Tuesday returning to the van to find the Donna wet (luckily we had put spare it at the last minute) on closer inspection I found water dripping from the front corner of the 4 season hatch, :( Thought I had left it open but no, it was coming under the edge of the inside plastic cowling, removed the cowling to find a not so dry spot :o. It was a constant drip quarter filling a 5 litre bucket over night.
There wasn't a lot we could do due to the fowl weather couldn't get up to tarp it at the time

Many thanks must go to Andrew from AHA Motorhomes (a mobile service guy) would took time out to climb up at have a look at what he could do before he checked out, however due to the weather not a lot could be done.

I have been it touch with the factory who are now in the process of organising the repair.[/QUOTE]
Fowl weather?
I've heard of it raining cats and dogs but it must have been real heavy for chooks to be coming down as well.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
[QUOTE="Bushman, post: 120202, member: 731" feel your pain @PhilD We have just returned from a week on the NSW South coast and got treaded to 3 days of torrential rain just when you though it maybe gone down it came again virtually none stop, On Tuesday returning to the van to find the Donna wet (luckily we had put spare it at the last minute) on closer inspection I found water dripping from the front corner of the 4 season hatch, :( Thought I had left it open but no, it was coming under the edge of the inside plastic cowling, removed the cowling to find a not so dry spot :o. It was a constant drip quarter filling a 5 litre bucket over night.
There wasn't a lot we could do due to the fowl weather couldn't get up to tarp it at the time

I have been it touch with the factory who are now in the process of organising the repair.
Fowl weather?
I've heard of it raining cats and dogs but it must have been real heavy for chooks to be coming down as well.[/QUOTE]

LOL yep the chooks may as well be coming down was damn heavy, the CHOOKS now edited :D

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I just at had my wheel flares repaired 12 months of warranty. They used a heap more glue/silicon than what was there from the factory. Time will tell if it sticks.
They did the same thing with our .... half a ton of sealer. As you say, time will tell