Interior 3 way fridge

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Quick review of our 3 way Dometic 3 way fridge.

Good time for a review with running back to back 40+deg days, moving about on 12v during that heat, as well as parked up on 240v

We have the 2014 model 150ltr 3 way. The later models are "tropically rated", translating into they are claimed to function in higher temps than the previous models. Im not sure what year this transition occurred.

We left Victor Harbor in the morning in high mild temps, heading north. The temp quickly rose and was 40deg by lunchtime. We arrived in 40deg heat at Tanunda at about 3.30pm. When we arrived the fridge internal temp was 4 deg, but more importantly it was 2 deg lower than the 6 deg it was when we left Victor Harbor. The fridge had happily thrived extremely well in 12v in those trying conditions, and there was a couple of stops where the 12v was disconnected

We were out most of the day today and it was again 40deg most of the day. We're parked up, so the fridge is now on 240v. I left it set on 4 on the dial, and this afternoon when we returned the internal temp was 5 deg.

I have fitted 2 extremely low draw silent fans behind the fridge, and they do make a difference in hot weather, but they arent on when we're towing

The fridge performs better on gas than 240v or 12v, so im not bothered about testing that as the fridge is performing flawlessly in extreme real life conditions on both 240v and 12v.

The 3 way still struggles to recover if its opened too much in the heat. We have an Engel in the car and prepping lunches etc in the morning. We give the 3 way a chop out by using the Engel during the day.

One meal prep using stuff out of the 3 way saw the temp jump 3 deg from opening it, and it took hours to recover.

Compressor fridges may work better, but they cant sit freecamping for 3 weeks without some very serious power backup.

The last few days have proven to me beyond any doubt, managed properly the Dometic 3 way is an awesome fridge, is not bothered by extreme heat, and works brilliantly on 12v whilst travelling in extreme heat

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
Great info, which model fridge. Are your fans thermo controlled ? I have found mine on 12 volts will freeze veg and fruit in the bottom of fridge on cool days as there is no thermostat control on 12 volt, only 240 Volt and Gas.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Do you run a separate anderson plug with decent cable direct from car battery/alternator to run your fridge while driving on 12v crusty? Use same temp setting on dial on 12v as you do on 240v?
Found ours is quite sensitive to being fairly level. Have fitted fans to ours aswell, def helps.

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
Thanks for your reply. I have 6 B&S from the 2nd & 3rd battery's to a Anderson plug
I do use the same setting on the fridge No 3

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Also same with our 3 way Crusty on 12v with good thick wiring but also found like you with kids on a hot day if the door got opened a few times it would not recover until the night so had to move ham and other food to Engel or get something out of the freezer for tea and put in the fridge to help out.

We have a 215Lt compressor fridge now and doesn't matter how many times you open the door recovers to cold temps easily but likes the juice at 6.5amps per hour.

Also not missed is gas consumption, my mate just picked up a new van with a large 3 way and a gas heater using a 9kg a week on his last trip up to QLD which was a bit of a surprise.

Christian

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Great info, which model fridge. Are your fans thermo controlled ? I have found mine on 12 volts will freeze veg and fruit in the bottom of fridge on cool days as there is no thermostat control on 12 volt, only 240 Volt and Gas.

Didn't realise the thermostat doesn't work when fridge is running on 12v?

Thanks for your reply. I have 6 B&S from the 2nd & 3rd battery's to a Anderson plug
I do use the same setting on the fridge No 3

Yeah same, 6b&s all the way to the fridge from a VSR under the bonnet in car. Have our first big trip away tomorrow so interesting to see how it runs on the road when on 12v.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Also same with our 3 way Crusty on 12v with good thick wiring but also found like you with kids on a hot day if the door got opened a few times it would not recover until the night so had to move ham and other food to Engel or get something out of the freezer for tea and put in the fridge to help out.

We have a 215Lt compressor fridge now and doesn't matter how many times you open the door recovers to cold temps easily but likes the juice at 6.5amps per hour.

Also not missed is gas consumption, my mate just picked up a new van with a large 3 way and a gas heater using a 9kg a week on his last trip up to QLD which was a bit of a surprise.

Christian
We have 150ltr, and according to the specs should get almost 3 weeks from a 9kg bottle

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Do you run a separate anderson plug with decent cable direct from car battery/alternator to run your fridge while driving on 12v crusty? Use same temp setting on dial on 12v as you do on 240v?
Found ours is quite sensitive to being fairly level. Have fitted fans to ours aswell, def helps.
I run 6b&s direct from the battery

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We have the standard single door 150ltr, the fans are wired through a switch. I prefer to switch them on and off

Last edited:

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Good review @Crusty181. We have the tropical rated 150 litre fridge in our Journey and I must say I am impressed with its performance in high temperatures . In recent 40 degree weather it sat auound 4 degrees at the top of the fridge with the thermostat set on 3. Freezer was at -22 degrees. I have also fitted 2 exhaust fans and this definitely makes a huge difference. Keeping them level when stationary is vey important.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: Crusty181

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Happy to report ours worked perfectly on the drive up while on 12v with the wiring mod, was always around 3-5deg when I checked it at each stop. And its been running really well while on AC at the park too so pretty happy with our 150l 3 way so far.