16' Series 3 more sleeps = 16.49.1 Outback!

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
Wow. Not heard of a towball snapping. Hardings would have better knowledge than me ... but i find it extraordinary that the same ball that holds a 3.5t van would snap with a 1.5t van and a couple of bikes on a bike rack.

Some of the WDH mounted under the towball would be add as much force as a bike rack. Your probably sensing im not convinced. Ha

Yeah, might be a bit of a urban myth? Pretty sure it was Harding's that told me that the canter leaving (bounce) with the force of the van. I'm like you though and find it hard to believe. From what you said, it sounds like it works with no problem.

Oh...I didn't understand your PS question about the name link?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We used our bike rack on the car, with the Expanda attached, for many thousands of km's over years without a problem. Loosing the use of the bike rack was a drawback adding the alum tool box.

Re the question, members post replies with other members names appearing as a highlighted link in the format "@steve67" and i have no clue how they do it. That question was aimed at anyone who can explain it.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Outdoor table, stereo ...... and ???

It has what appears to a real rear bumper too ... thats a bonus. What happened to the useless round pipe that use to hang off the back
I believe that all of the OBs had the stronger rectangular bumper, strong enough to hold the spare tyre provided it is strongly attached to the chassis, fold down bracket, or bicycle bracket?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
All the Outbacks have the galvanized rear bar that you are getting. They are stronger but still aren't allowed to hang anything off it. We have the same on ours and was told by Jayco to put absolutely nothing on it. Warranty would be void if we did and I don't think the welds would hold up to a lot without reinforcing.

BJ.
This is not so, we have mounted spare on back, provided rear bumper attached to chassis strongly, had ours checked first before we attached. Fine, done over 11,000 km with it, no troubles. Fine with Jayco as well

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Cheers, thanks for the heads up everyone. On hand over today, I forgot to ask about putting bikes on the rear bar. (I suspect as stated by BJ that Warranty would be void). I have heard that having the bikes on the tow ball with the van can cause the ball to break? (Harding's Caravans mention it once to me) Not sure if anyone has heard of this??

Anyway.....My Expanda had its maiden voyage home today...exciting times ahead!!:)
I am now an official Epanda Owner !!!
Warranty not voided by spare or bike rack on the rear. Have you had a Jayco dealer actually tell you this?
Look at all the Jayco's manufactured with spares on the rear bumper!

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Warranty not voided by spare or bike rack on the rear. Have you had a Jayco dealer actually tell you this?
Look at all the Jayco's manufactured with spares on the rear bumper!
Brisbane camper land told us this and is also in the Jayco book. Will dig it out tonight and scan in if I get a chance.

BJ

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We all add, subtract and modify our vans and campers .... its all part of the experience. For some of us it becomes almost an obsession. There are potential risks, along with positives and negatives associated with all mods.
Some things may well impact on warranty, but that said will only impact on the warranty associated with the specific area modified and only then when its a demonstrated cause and effect
Common sense should be applied in buckets ... and if your not sure, simply find someone who is.
As for this rear bumper. Its looks sturdier than the previous tubular offering.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and dagree

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
We all add, subtract and modify our vans and campers .... its all part of the experience. For some of us it becomes almost an obsession. There are potential risks, along with positives and negatives associated with all mods.
Some things may well impact on warranty, but that said will only impact on the warranty associated with the specific area modified and only then when its a demonstrated cause and effect
Common sense should be applied in buckets ... and if your not sure, simply find someone who is.
As for this rear bumper. Its looks sturdier than the previous tubular offering.

Well said!

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Finally got out to the van to get a pic of the manual as I mentioned above.

IMG_1417.JPG
It's up to the individual, but just be careful doing anything whilst in warranty.
As for the bar, yes I believe the outback rear bumper can take the weight as detailed, but may be worth getting an opinion if not sure.

BJ

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
Finally got out to the van to get a pic of the manual as I mentioned above.

View attachment 27501
It's up to the individual, but just be careful doing anything whilst in warranty.
As for the bar, yes I believe the outback rear bumper can take the weight as detailed, but may be worth getting an opinion if not sure.

BJ

Thanks BJ, my manual states the same.
I checked out the rear bar and it seams to be securely attached to the main chassis.
I believe like others that it should be able to support a couple of bikes, but as you suggest, I'll be getting a second opinion.

Just off topic....What is everyone using to join their 25mm waste hose to the 35mm outlet. I don't want to reinvent the wheel!

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
Hi @steve67. I like others have attached my spare wheel to the rear bumper ( I have the same as yours) and am comfortable doing it. I did have a discussion with the fabricator who had a look at the bar and attachment ponts and he said it was OK. I also had an interesting discussion with the bobcat driver who mowed my front lawn as he put two spare wheels on the bumper( I wouldn't go that far) He has had it for a few years and the welds where the fore and after beam attaches to the cross beam on the top split. In effect peeling backwards which with so much weight on it I wasn't surprised. He welded a piece of steel on the top of both joins for strength and has had no more issues. Not saying to do it mind you but more information helps when making decisions.

Cheers Larry
PS: Congratulations on the delivery of the best of the Expanda's :behindsofa:

Reactions: steve67 and dagree

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
Hi @steve67. I like others have attached my spare wheel to the rear bumper ( I have the same as yours) and am comfortable doing it. I did have a discussion with the fabricator who had a look at the bar and attachment ponts and he said it was OK. I also had an interesting discussion with the bobcat driver who mowed my front lawn as he put two spare wheels on the bumper( I wouldn't go that far) He has had it for a few years and the welds where the fore and after beam attaches to the cross beam on the top split. In effect peeling backwards which with so much weight on it I wasn't surprised. He welded a piece of steel on the top of both joins for strength and has had no more issues. Not saying to do it mind you but more information helps when making decisions.

Cheers Larry
PS: Congratulations on the delivery of the best of the Expanda's :behindsofa:

Thank you!
I've had her 6 days and can't wait to get out on the road. I've been tinkering all weekend transferring stuff from our Hawk working out where things go and how things work. (Thanks to this site!)
We are Sooooo not going to know ourself's in the Expanda!

Steve

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks BJ, my manual states the same.
I checked out the rear bar and it seams to be securely attached to the main chassis.
I believe like others that it should be able to support a couple of bikes, but as you suggest, I'll be getting a second opinion.

Just off topic....What is everyone using to join their 25mm waste hose to the 35mm outlet. I don't want to reinvent the wheel!
Ours came with an adapter to step it down .... maybe pop back into the dealer