Exterior 2016 Storm cover (clips)

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
OK collective brainstrust,

I purchased the storm covers from the dealer when we got the van new. The dealer had fitted the sailtrack but left me to fit the covers. It was easy enough.

What has me a little confused though is the press stud on the bottom of the covers. It is on both sides, and the pair of studs are on both Front and Rear covers (yes they are different).

Storm_Cover_clips.jpg

As far as I can tell:
1. The clip is the wrong way to clip onto anything (it's the female part of the clip that is on the cover)
2. It doesn't appear to be in the position I would imagine is ideal for mounting if it was to be used to "clip" the cover up so the cover can be closed.
3. Where it is it doesn't align to anything, either in the open or folded position.

Any idea's? It's obviously there for a reason.

Jamroc

Mar 9, 2017
Qld
If u go to a marine shop or tarp and canvas shop they sell the correct male part to clip in to the holes they should screw to underside of bed hope this helps

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
I've got similar covers from the dealer. Used them twice now and neither time have we bothered tying the bottom off. Bottom of ours have straps for pegs but we just let it hang.

I like the racks on the drawbar. Is that an extended drawbar?

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
If u go to a marine shop or tarp and canvas shop they sell the correct male part to clip in to the holes they should screw to underside of bed hope this helps
So after a drink, a sit and a think last night I started playing around and found that it folded like this.

cover_folded.jpg

So (as you pointed out @Jamroc ) I screwed the male part in and now have this

Front_cover.jpg

rear_cover.jpg

much easier to put the lids down now :p

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Nice! It's exactly what I was thinking if doing! Just wish we had an extended draw bar.... The one thing I never thought of - should have found this forum before we bought!!

Anyway :focus:

Reactions: Macca_75 and bigcol

Sean Robertson

Sep 28, 2016
Melbourne
Hi all, how long is the extended draw bar. we bought our 18.58 2nd hand and not sure if it has extended draw bar or not?

Cheers Sean

Last edited:

Sean Robertson

Sep 28, 2016
Melbourne
Hi Macca, I guess from the front of the van just behind the gas bottles where the black comes up would be easiest.

Thank you for the fold up tip with the storm covers, that will save taking them off every time. Cheers Sean

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
extended draw bar it is usually 300mm longer than standard

you can tell
stand at the tow hitch
if you can almost reach the Van - it standard
if its a bit further than your reach, its extended

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That'd depend on the length of your arms.......and I've heard @bigcol has long arms and short / deep pockets.

Agree with the 300mm extra.

:oops:

Reactions: dagree

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hi Macca, I guess from the front of the van just behind the gas bottles where the black comes up would be easiest.

Thank you for the fold up tip with the storm covers, that will save taking them off every time. Cheers Sean
Hey @Sean Robertson - it was approx. 1700mm from the bottom of the black to the front of the hitch - 1900mm from the first cross bar underneath to the front of the hitch.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: bigcol