Just Browsing 2016 Expanda?

familyof4

Jun 3, 2011
Has anyone heard the changes for the 2016 Expanda models? Looking at a 16.49-3 and there is a substantial 7% price increase on the 2016 model. Any rumours of what additions or changes are coming?
Thanks.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Does anyone know when they are due to be released? Want to take advantage of the 2015 runout sale if we haven't bought before then :)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sorry....sorry....couldn't resist.

I'm guessing around February as they crank up production after the Christmas break. Think I saw some run outs available around then

I guess it depends whether they have any surplus from the December line.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
@Dobbie maybe another dumb question, but when you go to the dealer and they have a price on the van with a list of the extras and prices, is that van for sale or is that just the guide price to show the RRP plus the extras you can add like that van has and you have to order a van and wait months to get it? I had another look at the 17.56.2 today but it was like a graveyard and there weren't any salesmen around to ask. Does anyone know? I am the impatient type, there is no way I could wait 3+ months for a van to be made like some on here :clock:

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @FiveInAVan my understanding is that each of the dealers have a number of ways to sell the vans, one is of course selling stuff off the floor (Stock that they have in the yard) and also ordering through the Jayco factory.

Depending on what type of van you want and the options you want this could determine whether it is stock they might have or if it needs to be ordered from the factory. Some of the options/accessories are only available from the factory so most people are happy to wait and get exactly what they are after.

Others which sounds potentially like yourself want to be able to get one off the floor and drive it home the next day, which of course is a great way to do it, just bear in mind you might not be able to get all of the features/accessories you are after. Don't get me wrong the local dealer does install most accessories but worth having a chat with them to see what stock they have, and sometimes if it is floor stock and they are trying to move it you can pickup a great deal ;)

We opted for the floor stock for our 2014 17.56-2 OB only because it was within the weight limits of what we could tow and the new model would have gone above our capacity, so it worked out great for us and we didn't have to wait as long.

Good luck with the bargain hunting and purchase

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Hey @FiveInAVan my understanding is that each of the dealers have a number of ways to sell the vans, one is of course selling stuff off the floor (Stock that they have in the yard) and also ordering through the Jayco factory.

Depending on what type of van you want and the options you want this could determine whether it is stock they might have or if it needs to be ordered from the factory. Some of the options/accessories are only available from the factory so most people are happy to wait and get exactly what they are after.

Others which sounds potentially like yourself want to be able to get one off the floor and drive it home the next day, which of course is a great way to do it, just bear in mind you might not be able to get all of the features/accessories you are after. Don't get me wrong the local dealer does install most accessories but worth having a chat with them to see what stock they have, and sometimes if it is floor stock and they are trying to move it you can pickup a great deal ;)

We opted for the floor stock for our 2014 17.56-2 OB only because it was within the weight limits of what we could tow and the new model would have gone above our capacity, so it worked out great for us and we didn't have to wait as long.

Good luck with the bargain hunting and purchase
Cheers @burnsie that is very helpful. You mentioned weight, that is something that still confuses me. I drive a new Prado with a 2500 max towing weight. If the van numbers were something like 2160 or close to that and max weight was 2645 does that mean I couldn't legally tow it or I just have to keep it under 2500? Can't remember what it was, tare and max atm maybe? This was an OB, I was intending originally to buy a touring as I know it weighs less in general.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hey @FiveInAVan there are heaps or posts on here about weights, check this one out

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/17-56-being-towed-by-a-prado-150.6996/#post-114429

But to answer your question, the Prado is 2500 max (I also have one if these) so if the ATM (max weight) was 2645kg it is probably going to be too heavy for the Prado, even if you only fill it to 2500kg you are at capacity and will probably get there with only filling the water tanks, let alone putting any stuff in the van.

If ordering from the factory you can also request the compliance plate to be changed but in this situation same issue even if you had it changed to 2500kg doesn't get around the weight issue.

Some people have looked at the touring model instead of the OB as it is lighter and depending on what you want to use it for might suit.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hey @FiveInAVan @Soaring put up a great pic about weights in one of my older posts, have a look at this

ATMdiagram.jpg

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Depends on the dealer if they do floor stock and where it is in the cycle.
I know we looked at a 23 Basestation they said they could do a deal on floor stock only if we waited for a replacement to be built.
So we save a little and still wait :(
One of the reasons we got the 22 Starcraft it was available and had most of the options I would of gone for.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Most dealers will sell floor stock if it has what you want.
Our story is similar to @burnsie 's as we went stock van due to the weight factor for the Prado..... Well it was floor stock in a sense as it was one of the first 2014 models delivered to Perth. We called in and looked at it the day it was delivered and let's just say it didn't make it out onto the showroom :D

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey Fiveinavan.

Re listing with bars price and options:
I assume you're looking at Brisbane Camperland?

Our experience was that we called them, they sent out the brochures with guide prices on each model and a separate one for all optional extras.

We poured over these, narrowed it down to two models and had a list of the extras we thought we could add, wanted to add etc. then went to look at the floor stock.

One was rejected immediately so we sat down with them to look at total cost. Some extras were not available on chosen model..usually because of technical restrictions.....and they came back to us with an initial discounted price.

We then haggled...
And signed
And waited
And signed off on plan after about three months
And added some things
And were told others couldn't / wouldn't be done

Then we double checked the plan details and found extras such as TV had been included so called them to say " not wanted" but told they were all included

Then finally collected van and found more gifts from Santa Claus and we're delighted.

All this took about five months...almost a gestation period.

Anyway, that was the process, in our case. Others are lucky to find what they want as floor stock and avoid the extended wait but the floor stock was nonexistent in our case. We checked out our model from the stock after it was unloaded from the truck.

They always have show specials around June and honour those before and after then. Ours was ordered in May and the extras included to our surprise.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Just been reading the paper and noticed there's a caravan runout sale end of October.

They may or may not have the model you're after but it might be worth a phone call.

They say they're discounted....and this show used to be free but they're now charging. We went a couple of years ago and it was almost as big as the june show which is huge.