14' Series 2016 Expanda cupboard handles- help

Alby Smith

Dec 6, 2016
Adelaide
Hi everyone
My first thread, I have a 2016 14.44OB with the new style handles that were released this year I think? Anyway, so far we have managed to break 5 of them, they are so flimsy and are all breaking in the same place (where the metal but screws into the plastic handle) I guess i have 2 questions. 1. Is this a common problem 2. Is there a fix, like a better quality fittings I can purchase?
Please help....

Reactions: rcf

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Hi Alby, We ended up going and having a look at all the new expanda's at a Jayco sales yard about a month ago. Pretty much one handle in every van was broken from people opening up the cupboards. Seems a pretty common problem. We ended up buying last years model with the button handles. So far so good. Have a chat to the place you bought it. Support is really good.

Reactions: Delano

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
I have the same handles and one thing to watch out for is the small pins that go in either side of the handle work themselves loose or even fall out. These pins are no more than 5mm long so if you see one on the floor pick it up and check where it came from.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep.

I think it was @Drover who advised one of the best things to do when you got the van was to remove all cupboard screws and replace with slightly larger ones....and I think he suggested adding some liquid nails to that as well.

Does that sound right? I made a note of it and fully intend to do that but I guess it's a good idea to check.

:focus:

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats good news on the replacement, I would ask for the handles and fit them myself though, for 2 reasons being 1. you will be able to replace broken ones when they break and 2 you will know that you will have new handles and a shonky job isn't done............................................it will also give you time to find better catches as the replacements will more than likely be rubbish as well.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Took my 17.56-2 back to Jayco St Marys for warranty on Saturday. Handles are being looked at - every single screw I checked to see if was tight would not tighten. They were all stripped! Looks like some buffoon has ordered the wrong sized screws, probably smaller ones to save some coin!
Hoping my other problems are fixed - all 4 seperate issues!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Took my 17.56-2 back to Jayco St Marys for warranty on Saturday. Handles are being looked at - every single screw I checked to see if was tight would not tighten. They were all stripped! Looks like some buffoon has ordered the wrong sized screws, probably smaller ones to save some coin!
Hoping my other problems are fixed - all 4 seperate issues!

No thats a standard problem with all Jaycos, they use too small screws

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Hadaja

Sep 1, 2014
Still use the same designed handles with some supposive re-reinforcements in the design

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
No thats a standard problem with all Jaycos, they use too small screws
I found all my hinges are hung with sheet metal screws, and with the overheads into hollow core press fibre panels ... in layman's terms fine steel screws through (not into) thin compressed cardboard. I removed all 180 of them, replaced each of the screws with more appropriate ones, pumped adhesive into the screws holes and glued the hinge plates to the panels. All of them are still where they should be