2014 Colorado "series 2"

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
@Soaring no I know the Terri motor is fine and where it comes from, I almost bought one. I was reading somewhere (can't find it again) that the old Jeep motor is what is in the Colarado, not that I could see a problem with it, it just sounded unusual being and Isuzu vehicle?
Oh sorry. No I can't see it being a jeep motor. No GM/Chrysler relationship that I know of.
I'm not sure what the relationship is now between GM and Isuzu after their split.
I know the GM plant in Thailand was out of action for a long time during the changeover. From what I understand, the split was not a friendly one so I'm not sure they would be sharing powertrains.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I thought it strange myself, but haven't Fiat-Jeep-Chrysler-Daimler just purchased the remaining shares in GM? Can't wait for the new all Australian Commodore to come out with a Fiat badge, just imagine 2020 Bathurst winner FIAT hahaha I only just found out
lamborghini engines are made by Ferrari so now what do I buy?
Funny how people are so brand faithful and eventually there will be only one or two left ie Jag-Rover-BMW-Tata etc

Reactions: blacky

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
The colorado has the same engine as the jeep wrangler. It is a VM Motori engine, rebadged Duramax, the same engine has been used in the Wrangler since 2007, but was refreshed in 2010, so it is a well tested motor with no real dramas in its past. VM Motori was 50/50 owned by Fiat and GM but is now solely owned by Fiat. Their engines have been and still are used by many vehicle manufacturers including, Jeep, Chev, Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo, Alfa, and even a Landcruiser for the Italian Market at one stage.

Reactions: skippy and blacky

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
And in the midst of......Toyota.......this discussion about looking.......Prado........for a new........Toyota.......vehicle......Prado.......I really think that all.......200series........points of view.........Toyota........are valid and...........Prado.........should be..........79series........fully explored.......hilux...........before making.......Toyota........any purchase.........Prado.......

Reactions: Drewser and blacky

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I thought it strange myself, but haven't Fiat-Jeep-Chrysler-Daimler just purchased the remaining shares in GM? Can't wait for the new all Australian Commodore to come out with a Fiat badge, just imagine 2020 Bathurst winner FIAT hahaha I only just found out
lamborghini engines are made by Ferrari so now what do I buy?
Funny how people are so brand faithful and eventually there will be only one or two left ie Jag-Rover-BMW-Tata etc

Was brand faithful. Cant wait to see what 4cycl front wheel drive car GM US gives us. No Ute, No Wagon, No Idea!:car:
I hear Hyundai are getting into the rear wheel drive market when the others are getting out. I think Chrysler will be the winner. They seem to make something similar to what Aussie Petrol heads want.

Reactions: blacky

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I would still buy an Isuzu way before the Colorado, it has an Isuzu engine and apart from being 12 volt they are everywhere, would never realise it but everytime you pass road works you probably pass that engine in something lol

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
That was my point about the VM Motori engine in the Colorado, VM engines are everywhere and most people have no idea that their car is equipped with an Italian designed engine. Just came back from Adelaide and the it is constant roadworks on the Vic side of the border, most common work vehicle I saw was Colorado. The Jeep Grand Cherokee engine everyone raves about is a VM too. London taxis are also powered by them.

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
Actually I do like the torque curve on the Isuzu, very flat right through the range. Both engines have been well proven in one vehicle or another so should be no nasty surprises with either. As I said I preferred the torque curve on the Isuzu but just not enough of it, living in a very steep hilly region the extra NM's the Colorado has and the better price are what got it over the line for me.