2004 Freedom Tips needed

Scotty23

Jan 15, 2014
Hi,
new to the forum and looking for any handy tips / mods for a 2004 Freedom Expanda.
We like quite a few progressed from a camper trailer to an Expanda and will be looking to go to a newer Expanda in the next year or two.
In the mean time we have decided we may spend a bit on the old 04 to see it through
Any ideas on rough costs on -
  • Replacing flyscreens / mesh in the bed end canvas, its seems to be rotting.
  • The awning legs / supports all a bit flogged and tired, are these an easy DIY change out or should i be going to a shop?
  • Roof has started to leak so may need to reseal it - any tips?
Suppose once I see what it will cost vs upgrading will be the deciding factor. Anyone know of anything else i should be looking at with this model??

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
:welcome: @Scotty23
Not sure of any of those questions except for the last one where you apply the Jayco motto. "If the silicone tube is not empty then keep squeezing".
For canvas I would be taking it to a canvas repair guy.

Enjoy the forum.

Scotty23

Jan 15, 2014
Cheers Brad
I figured that a truck load of silicone would be the way to go.
Was going to ring around canvas guys to get prices. Just dont really know what a reasonable price would be.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi,
new to the forum and looking for any handy tips / mods for a 2004 Freedom Expanda.
We like quite a few progressed from a camper trailer to an Expanda and will be looking to go to a newer Expanda in the next year or two.
In the mean time we have decided we may spend a bit on the old 04 to see it through
Any ideas on rough costs on -
  • Replacing flyscreens / mesh in the bed end canvas, its seems to be rotting.
  • The awning legs / supports all a bit flogged and tired, are these an easy DIY change out or should i be going to a shop?
  • Roof has started to leak so may need to reseal it - any tips?
Suppose once I see what it will cost vs upgrading will be the deciding factor. Anyone know of anything else i should be looking at with this model??
1/ replacing the screens is a straight forward job, the worst part is removing and reinstalling the tent, we made special tools to get it back in the lip around the top without scratching the van, basically a small lever and you push it into place inch by inch. it's hard on the arms working at full stretch, so i do that part first while sitting on the bed with the canvas bunched up around me
2/ pretty easy to change the awning hardware, pull the awning out about 500mm undo the top leg brackets, remove the screws in the rope track. get 2 people ... one of each leg, unhook the feet and slide the whole awning out.
next before taking the legs off the awning, cable tie the open/close lever in the open position, and put a split pin in the non clutch end to stop it spinning, then you can safely remove the legs without the awning ends spinning. replacement is just the reverse, but it helps to have 3 people, one to guide the awning back into the track, we used to do them by leaving the awning in place, but found this way is easier with a few ppl to help. it may pay to mark the awning so you get it back in the right position on the rope track, otherwise the arms can bind up. remember to seal the top bracket bolts with a bit of silastic before putting them in as they can leak, don't tighten too hard, you can bend the bracket
3/ where's it leaking from ? if it's the slastic join we cut it all out, scraper made from perspex is great for the last part of the cleanup as it won't scratch the van, mask the van roof, spoon it on, spread it out with a soapy spatula, then spray soapy water on it and smoothe the finish, while it's still wet we remove the masking tape. It's not a job i would recommend doing in the warm weather as the slas can go off pretty quick in the heat making it hard to work. last week i had to do a fair bit of slas work on a van and i'm fast, but i still had bugger all time just doing a wheel spat before it went off and that was in the air con workshop. We use Aftek roof and gutter as this is the best stuff to work with for a good finish

Scotty23

Jan 15, 2014
1/ replacing the screens is a straight forward job, the worst part is removing and reinstalling the tent, we made special tools to get it back in the lip around the top without scratching the van, basically a small lever and you push it into place inch by inch. it's hard on the arms working at full stretch, so i do that part first while sitting on the bed with the canvas bunched up around me
2/ pretty easy to change the awning hardware, pull the awning out about 500mm undo the top leg brackets, remove the screws in the rope track. get 2 people ... one of each leg, unhook the feet and slide the whole awning out.
next before taking the legs off the awning, cable tie the open/close lever in the open position, and put a split pin in the non clutch end to stop it spinning, then you can safely remove the legs without the awning ends spinning. replacement is just the reverse, but it helps to have 3 people, one to guide the awning back into the track, we used to do them by leaving the awning in place, but found this way is easier with a few ppl to help. it may pay to mark the awning so you get it back in the right position on the rope track, otherwise the arms can bind up. remember to seal the top bracket bolts with a bit of silastic before putting them in as they can leak, don't tighten too hard, you can bend the bracket
3/ where's it leaking from ? if it's the slastic join we cut it all out, scraper made from perspex is great for the last part of the cleanup as it won't scratch the van, mask the van roof, spoon it on, spread it out with a soapy spatula, then spray soapy water on it and smoothe the finish, while it's still wet we remove the masking tape. It's not a job i would recommend doing in the warm weather as the slas can go off pretty quick in the heat making it hard to work. last week i had to do a fair bit of slas work on a van and i'm fast, but i still had bugger all time just doing a wheel spat before it went off and that was in the air con workshop. We use Aftek roof and gutter as this is the best stuff to work with for a good finish
Hi Dave
Thanks for that, seems as though it should be straight forward enough to do myself (with a couple of helpers and a carton at the end)
Some great tips.
Just what i was looking for.:)