17' Series 2 week old 17:56-2 at the repair shop

carpanda

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, NSW
We were packing up at caloundra at 7 am in the morning to get to our next destination, kinka beach at rockhampton.
We were in for a 7 hour drive but were going to have 2 breaks in between.
Hubby put the pop up down and guess what happened, the strut bracket snapped! The roof popped down and now sits unaligned. We called the jayco hotline and we took it in to Forrest glen rv repairs, they are brilliant!
They are fixing it as we speak. Only thing is our paid book site for today has gone down the drain. From 8am it's still not fixed :(
Other things we found that need repair will need to be fixed after we get back home. Waiting at the gingerbread fActory until repair is done :(

carpanda

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, NSW
The gingerbread factory was great!
I knew we would have issues but, not a issue that would affect us driving the van.
We couldn't get it popped down so to take it to mechanic we had to buy tie down strap from bunnings.
We just got word to say the caravan is ready. That means we won't get to caravan park by 10 to 11pm. :(

Other problems that need fixing crack in shower tile.
Shower holds water
And another crack in fibreglass lid underneath bed end top lid.

carpanda

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, NSW
@davemc thanks, I didn't think I would be to calm about it. Can't do anything anyway. Just annoyed that we paid for a nights stay and we won't get there by early morning.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Sounds eventful, but stay positive you will look back and talk about it for many years to come.

The crack in the hard lid is normal they nearly all have it from new so dont worry to much. Its a common fault and the crack is more from the mould when the lid was made and doesnt effect anything.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Great idea, I think I'll get one of those sqidgys too!
We used a squeegy in ours and also had one of those foam matts with the holes in it (you know the ones, they are square and interlock and are sold as camping mats camping). Dried walls and floor with squeegy (60 second job) and them pop matt in so no wet feet going to toilet

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I always used to level the van with a bit if bias for the drain. We also had the hardlid cracks, no issues.

Reactions: carpanda

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Will be one of the trips you will always remember @carpanda (Always talk about a trip we did and were "stranded" for an extra 8 days in the South West due to a blown head gasket in the Cruiser)...

Great that you managed to get it booked in and fixed straight away!
Hopefully no more issues and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Reactions: carpanda and bigcol

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
@davemc thanks, I didn't think I would be to calm about it. Can't do anything anyway. Just annoyed that we paid for a nights stay and we won't get there by early morning.
Sad story, hope it doesn't spoil the rest of your holiday.
We stayed at Kinka Beach on our recent 1/2 loop of Aust. Great place, pretty and very relaxing environment, enjoy!

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I had the poptop bracket fail two weeks in as well. Out in the bush with no Bunnings nearby, roof wouldn't align, then my wife suggested I take the other strut off on the same side. Roof came down straight, that's why I married her.

I think Jayco tighten the hex screws too tight.
Mine happened week before Christmas. I ended up fixing it myself, courtesy of some advice given by some members here.

carpanda

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, NSW
Thanks @Kenshi123 :)
We did finally get it fixed and got to cool waters which was great! Stayed there for 2 nightS and now have arrived this evening at big 4 whitsunday resort airlie beach.
We have a problem with the kitchen sink.
When we fill it up and unplug it all the water comes up the drain and fills the shower floor.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We had the same issue in our last van @carpanda and ended up using two hoses.
I was always "Gunna" fit a one way valve in the system somewhere to enable the use of only one hose but ended selling it before it got done!

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
goodness me carpanda its all happening now ur in ariley just smile that ur there take a drive out to dingo beach no one there most of the time theres a singer in town called Kieran McCarthy he is brillant u will find him singing at night in pup somewhere main st he has 3 cds find them and bye one blue on blue is great it will always take u back there if not I will burn them and send them to u good luck rest of trip

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Thanks @Kenshi123 :)
We did finally get it fixed and got to cool waters which was great! Stayed there for 2 nightS and now have arrived this evening at big 4 whitsunday resort airlie beach.
We have a problem with the kitchen sink.
When we fill it up and unplug it all the water comes up the drain and fills the shower floor.

Ahhhh we have very fond memories of Whitsunday big 4 in Arlie. If you feel like it, take a drive out to Cape Gloucester and have a beer (or lunch) at Montes. You need to drive down a dirt track to get there. Lovely view from there. (See photo attached)
image.jpg