18.57.6 - Van Weight - Newbie

Daniel05

Mar 14, 2011
GDay All,

Currently we dont own an expanda and are looking at buying one soon, doing some research.

We like the 18.57.6, but I am concerned about the weight of the van when loaded. We will be towing with an 08 Prado - 2500kg towing capacity.

The brochure says the van is 1980kg, but with A/C, water, gas bottles, awning, TV, aerial what would the weight be?????
One top of that the usual food, clothes, bits n pieces what would that weight???
What would the total be?? Maybe over the 2500kg's......

Anyone own one and have any ideas?

Thank you in advanced for your help?

Cheers
Daniel.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Daniel. Welcometo the forum. The compliance plate should show the Tare (1980Kg in your case) and this weight is as it leaves the factory including extras like A/C but with water tanks and gas bottles empty. The plate should have a figure showing how much it is allowed to weigh fully loaded (GVM). If this is under the allowable towing capacity of your Prado then you can legally tow it but, of course, what you put in the van must not be greater than the GVM minus the Tare or kerb weight of the van. Only you would know what gear you put in a van but the larger the van, the more you tend to carry.

On a side note, we spent a week in a van park in Sydney in January and while there three vans arrived, all pulled by Prados. One van was a 30 footer and the other 2 were 32 footers. I have no idea of the weight of the vans but I would hate to be caught behind them on a single lane road. :D

Regards
Paul