Starcraft 17.58-3 picked up. (Rear spare and bike rack??)

Spider73

Oct 30, 2014
image.jpg
One happy camper here, picked up the new van yesterday and am really happy with the way it tows. All the options arrived as ordered,including a few that I picked up from all you helpful forum users. Allthough I was a little surprised to see the spare mounted on the rear with the bike rack. As far as I knew this wasn't possible. I'm in two minds whether this is a good thing. I like having the weight of the spare off the drawbar and intend on mounting a box of some form on the drawbar so its good to have the spare out of the way. On the downside the bikes are quite high and may be harder to put on the rack, and I'm guessing the will stick up above roof height. Whether or not this is an issue time will tell. Check out the photos.
Cheers
image.jpg
image.jpg

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
Looks really good and I am sure will give you many happy adventures - what is the towball weight on the compliance plate of that one ?

Reactions: Spider73

Spider73

Oct 30, 2014
Thanks guys, no trips yet besides the mad dash back from Mildura. Slept in it in the backyard with two very excited kids last night. Not sure if they were more excited about the new van or not having to share a bed like in the expanda. Heading to lake conjola for two weeks over Easter to hopefully iron out the kinks before we head off end of June for a trip up the centre and down the west coast. The tow ball weight on the plate is 136kg with a max of 180 something kg. Which seems strange with a gvm of 2440. I always thought a ball weight of 10% was ideal. Been packing all our things from the expanda in there and am surprised with how easily it all fits. Tried the bikes on the rack today and all went well so very happy. As most of you know they are always an issue, so to be able to put two on the rack on the rear and not have to think about them again until you want to ride them is a great solution. They do stick up slightly above the roofline but considering the amount of vehicles driving around with bikes on roof racks, I dont see this as a an issue. I forgot to take some internal photos so I'll try remember tommorow.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Mate that's a great result. I wasn't game to ask for a bike rack and rear spare for fear that they'd screw it up and I'd not get either. I d love to see some shots inside is there any mounting brackets on the inside of the cupboard? I was only looking at the weekend about still mounting the bike rack there. I guess the only downer is it will kill a review camera?

Unless your loaded it right up check your ball weight your self. I can't see how they come up with 130kg either.

Good luck with it, there a great layout

Last edited:

Spider73

Oct 30, 2014
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Not the best photos, but they show a couple of bikes loaded onto the rack and the mounting points on the rear wall of the inside of the van. There is no visible signs of the lower mounting screws on the inside of the van. It seems that the top mount hold all the load and the bottom ones are only screws not bolts.hope these help. I can provide measurements on the brackets if required.
image.jpg
Sorry about the mess but we are mid packing all our goodies into the van. We decided to go the oven over a microwave simply because we can run it off the gas while free camping. The drifter control panel is mounted next to the stereo, which I prefer to the side of the fridge. The more I use it, I realise I must of got lucky on the production line. Everything seems to be well placed in comparison to some of the stock vans we have seen at shows and dealers. I did want a tri fold table, but was told they wouldn't do it. I haven't given up on that idea yet. I may try and order one and fit it myself.

image.jpg

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hey @Spider73 it looks like we will be on the road doing a similar trip at the same time as you. We are leaving Melb on the 28th June up the centre and west coast for three months. Hope to see you out there.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Great shots spider thanks. What's the panel next to the stereo? Is that the upmarket stereo?

Spider73

Oct 30, 2014
Yep, good chance e will cross paths Soaring, we leave 22nd Jun. Hope to see you out there.

2015 plated, Expanda.

Achjimmy, No, the basic stereo, that's the drifter control panel. I'm happy with its location and prefer it there rather than I the side if the fridge were they normally mount it. It wasn't by request, just got lucky I guess.

Thanks Cruza driver we are very happy.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep, good chance e will cross paths Soaring, we leave 22nd Jun. Hope to see you out there.

2015 plated, Expanda.

Achjimmy, No, the basic stereo, that's the drifter control panel. I'm happy with its location and prefer it there rather than I the side if the fridge were they normally mount it. It wasn't by request, just got lucky I guess.

Thanks Cruza driver we are very happy.

Yes a great postion to have it.

LisaF

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
We are looking at one of these, (and the control panel is at the end of the bunk, very odd, but I guess we will live with that). Is there any storage under the beds or the bunks? Did you have much bargaining power with the guys at Halls?

Spider73

Oct 30, 2014
We are looking at one of these, (and the control panel is at the end of the bunk, very odd, but I guess we will live with that). Is there any storage under the beds or the bunks? Did you have much bargaining power with the guys at Halls?

Yes heaps of storage under bed and double bunk as davemc stated. It's not the first time I've heard of the drifter at the end of the bunk but I think it comes down to the luck of the draw.Its a bit tricky not being able to deal with jayco directly and trying to get everything done through a salesman, in saying that we a very happy with ours. The only thing the factory missed was an extra annexe light on the offside but halls fitted it for us prior to pickup. The guys at halls were great, they were considerably cheaper than any other quote I recieved. Definitely worth a call.

Reactions: Sweet Pea