Starcraft 17.58-3 options

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Hey everyone, thinking about parting with 17.56-2 ob and replacing with 17.58-3 ob.
Went and viewed one today and it seemed to tick the relevent boxes.
Question for owners of this van and potential owners, and in fact anyone who has 2 cents to through in.
What options did you choose and do you regret anything chosen?
Options we would go for are;
Extended draw bar
Bike rack
Stereo basic
Esc
Big fridge
Roof air con
Picnic table
Drifter panel
Tv antenna

Thoughts please
Cheers

Robert

Apr 15, 2015
Wollongong
Received a phone call from Jayco today and the new 17.58 -3 outback is in the Sydney yard (1 ½ months early). Arraigned to collect a week Friday (would have been sooner but we are off to the Gold Coast for a week tomorrow).

We use to camp with tents, then we went to the camper trailer and back to a tent ("quick" set up a blackwolf turbo tent,), but after a couple of very wet trips away with friends with caravans and poptops GLAMPING here we come :}

Got the Sydney show special – TV, stereo etc. and added:
an external shower with light above
roof air con (will be hardly used but allowed extra space by not having the wall unit)
bigger fridge
drifter control panel
eternal picnic table
extended draw bar
bike rack
3 extra 12v power point inside
swapped/upgraded the 120w solar panel for a 150w solar panel.​

Looking forward to the first trip away, see if we can still bush camp away from power. Will be interesting to see if the batteries we currently have and the one in the caravan will see use through a week or two away with the kids (7 & 10) having the call of the TV.
Also having a shower will chew through the water, need to get the kid & wife to limit the use - turn off whilest soaping up etc, dont like my chances!!

Anyone have any feedback on the power usage whilst away from mains power? I could run the waeco fridge(my new beer and soft drinks fridge thanks to the fridge in the van) and lights off the two batteries for most trips especially if we went on a day trip or two to top up a battery. We will probably have to look at getting a portable panel or two the keep the extra batteries charged.

CANT WAIT for the new camping trips away with the Jayco :)

Loving the option we got, looking to move the spare to the rear bumper and add a tool box to the front bar to store the BBQ etc.

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Looked at that thought would add 12v myself when we decide where its needed.
Does need more 240 near stove somehow, wondered if a deep socket box could be fitted to side of fridge cabinet

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Seems pretty covered.. they are a nice van, we just sold our -1 today as we went to a 22"
Extended drawbar if you can fit the van in.
Get a external TV and 12v fitted easier then later :) If you want external shower get a light over it.
Are you getting or needing the dinette converter..
@achjimmy I think he got different sized tyres. He has a thread going which is worth reading

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Also would like to know what the ATM of existing 17.58-3 ob are, interested in how much this varies between vans

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Outside 12v and tv plug standard now I believe, havent really thought much about bed converter as yet. Not getting shower but wondering about offside light

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Thanks achjimmy, some interesting reading particularly the changes that were made in the early days