17.56 owner

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
okey dokey....photos.....

DSCF4977_resize.JPG DSCF4978_resize.JPG
At Eildon for shake down

DSCF5037_resize.JPG DSCF5071_resize.JPG
I've ploughed a few speed humps with the hitch already. Need to get a packer.
Design flaw? having the air con over the sink drainer, doesn't allow plates to fit in the dish rack we have

DSCF5079_resize.JPG DSCF5080_resize.JPG
We took out the dinette and replaced it with the full bed instead. It would only be used as a bed anyway, and we have a huge area of more storage.

To do:
- Shelves or drawers to both robes
- storage boxes under the bunk bed - for lesser used items, and season clothes on the longer trips
- Might see if the shelf in the cupboard under the tv bench can be removed easily and reconfigured to allow one side to have more height for the bigger cereal boxes etc
- Divide the front boot into sections to stop the slip n slide
- Add an in line tap to have the drawbar tap coming off the tank only and not mains/tank together. (eg Mains in Eildon was advised not to be drunk, but good water in the tank)
- change globes to LED
- Book xmas holidays along the SA coast :D

longer term
- Look at the privacy screens/canvas options, cos they weren't very private! Silhouettes displayed very clearly...
- bike carrier

Reactions: Bank of Dad

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
IMG_0598_resize.JPG IMG_0599_resize.JPG
With the lights Expanda had up for sale http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/494-LED-Light-Kits

Just a temporary installation at the moment whilst I was figure out if thats where I want them. I got a pack of tabs which slide in to the groove on the roll out. The tabs have eyelets and hooks so I just suspended them from that

I initially thought they weren't quite bright enough for out there, but after sitting out there reading was quite happy with the light output.
Good kit Expanda

Reactions: Bank of Dad

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Great set up SD it must have felt good to finally get away after waiting for it to arrive. I saw you went to Bluegums we stayed there Labour Day this year.

They outside light looks like a beauty also.

I saw and 18' that actually had a plate rewelded to the top of the drawbar and the hitch remounted on that (It was a brand new one) that was retro fitted. I dont know why they dont do that from new :wacko:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I dont know why they dont do that from new :wacko:

ADRs

They've set their limits to 450mm max high, so if welded to the top (on OB models), they are too high, but an extra 50mm would be right on the limit. I tried to request a packer at order but was refused. That should be an option.
When they fit the hitch for me, I asked how they came up with such a low height, when so many vehicles are forced to drop down, and was told that that was determined to be the most stable height. Any higher (supposedly) resulted in greater movement on the ball and more swaying etc. I was then told it was ok to get a packer fitted (from the same who refused to do it when asked earlier)

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Yep the hitch height ( or lack of it ) is real pain in the !#!. Jayco seem to be happy to stick their head in the sand on this issue. At the very least they should give the option of specifying the height of the hitch, up to the legal limit. I'm sure nearly everyone who has ordered an outback would prefer it at the maximum legal height.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
The other option is that you change the hitch to a Treg or Trigg as there is no height restrictions with these.

It cost $130 to have the plate welded to the top of the A frame

Or if you have the garage height undersling the axles and this will lift the van around 100mm

DSCN8889 (Small).JPG DSCN8885 (Small).JPG

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I hear you about ADR's but I wonder what the hitch height is of the Jayco camper trailers. They must be right on the limit also as they seem alot higher as my old Hawk could run the std receiver. :thumb:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Nice one mate.

It will take a little while to sort out what can go where and how etc but compared to the Camper Trailer (Hawk / Eagle - can't remember which one you had) how much better was it!

You reckon it was a little easier to tow than the C/T? We are getting a standard 17.56-2 and towing with a Prado. Do you think the ride height of the hitch will likely be an issue for us or is it just the Outback?

Looks nice - we are 5 Dec (could have gone earlier but for work - its at Bayswater now!) so looking forward to that day!