17.56.2 Discussion

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi All, saw the 17.56.2 at the caravan show and absolutely love it.

So much so we are thinking about upgrading our 4 month old 16.49.2 van to the new model.

I have some questions of anyone who has bought it.

1) How much bigger than the 16.49.2 models is it? I am worried about it fitting in most van parks as the current model we have seemed to pretty much be on the limit.
2) Has anyone been able to get the axles under slung due to its weight not sure if this possible?
3) In the non outback version how low is it to the ground and does having dual axles make it less prone to scraping?

We have a 2 tonne limit on the tow vehicle which is a bummer so we need to go the non off road version. How has everyone felt the van tows?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
I hope you get some replies here, I too want one (change from Outback Swan) but have the 2000Kg tow limit and 180kg ball weight limit, so anyone with one can you tell me what your weights are and if you have the 150litre fridge and roof air... PLEASE..

Thank to anyone to help us.

brookleys

Nov 10, 2010
Hi,
We are looking to purchase the 17.56-2 and have done our research, would not buy one without having a 2500kg towing capacity - the ATM we have been estimated is around 2250kg so we want to be totally within weights so are looking at a vehicle also to tow withing that range. Not sure what the dealers you have contacted advised, hopefully they are telling you the same!

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
can I ask you to clarify is the van you are talking about the outback or standard 17-56-2? As the information I am getting is alot less than that, we are looking at the standard van.

Thanks

brookleys

Nov 10, 2010
17.56-2 standard expanda

Yes, 17.56-2 standard - Tare weight is estimated at 1753, the one the dealer had in stock was a standard with weights of TARE: 1776 ATM: 2251 GTM: 2084 BALL: 167

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
thanks for the information, do you know if that had many extras from the standard floor plan. I was thinking about asking to remove the top bunk (I am not a fan of bunks) and having overhead cupboard/ I wonder if that will save much weight?? mmmm, anyway going to the dealer tomorrow, so we shall see.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I hope you get some replies here, I too want one (change from Outback Swan) but have the 2000Kg tow limit and 180kg ball weight limit, so anyone with one can you tell me what your weights are and if you have the 150litre fridge and roof air... PLEASE..

Thank to anyone to help us.

can I ask you to clarify is the van you are talking about the outback or standard 17-56-2? As the information I am getting is alot less than that, we are looking at the standard van.

Thanks

thanks for the information, do you know if that had many extras from the standard floor plan. I was thinking about asking to remove the top bunk (I am not a fan of bunks) and having overhead cupboard/ I wonder if that will save much weight?? mmmm, anyway going to the dealer tomorrow, so we shall see.

Hi Jodie25 let us know how you get on with the dealer tomorrow.

Which one are you going to if you don't mind me asking? :)

Removing the bunk and replacing with an overhead cupboard, that sounds like an interesting concept. Would you still want to keep the smaller table below or make that whole section cupboard space? :D

I have answered your question about weights on the 17.56.2 in the other thread located here hope it helps in the decision making process.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/sh...-Jayco-Expanda-Outback?p=153&posted=1#post153

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Yes, 17.56-2 standard - Tare weight is estimated at 1753, the one the dealer had in stock was a standard with weights of TARE: 1776 ATM: 2251 GTM: 2084 BALL: 167

Hi,
We are looking to purchase the 17.56-2 and have done our research, would not buy one without having a 2500kg towing capacity - the ATM we have been estimated is around 2250kg so we want to be totally within weights so are looking at a vehicle also to tow withing that range. Not sure what the dealers you have contacted advised, hopefully they are telling you the same!

Gday Brookleys, interesting you should mention this about the dealers.

We where initially advised that the if we remained with a base unit and did not add any extras and that the tare was within our limit then we where right.

After some detailed dealing we where told otherwise.

We eventually decided to go your path for safety and upgrade the tug.

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
Hi Expanda,

I went to australian caravan (adelaide), they had one there very standard 2217kg ATM. It makes me upset that 2 out of 4 dealers said to me that we could tow it. Grrr, doesn't they have a duty of care???

anyhow my life my responsibility so now I am trying really hard to talk the hubby into buying a ford territory which with the heavy duty tow kit can to 2300kg, and it will work with our family set up as it has 5 child anchor points, not much boot but I will have to work with it,

I want hubby to sell his c'dore to get it, because I love my Kia!! anyhow tomorrow will be car and caravan hunting.

so wish me luck on convincing the hubby :)