Chassis 17.56.1

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Hi All,
Just a quick question, when we placed our order for our touring model today the salesman said that because we wanted to undersling our axle the chassis would have to be the heavier outback chassis which would potentially put the weight over our vechiles capacity. Does that sound correct?? Surely if they used the heavier chassis there would a be significant price difference not just the $508 for underslinging the dual axle. He will be checking with the factory on Monday so I suppose time will tell. If anybody has recently ordered this setup I would keen to know what chassis they used.

Cheers
Danny

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
G'day Danny,
I purchased my 17.56.1 with under-slung axle, picking it up in Oct 13.
I did not really know what changes would be made other then the axle placed under the springs.
I only paid $250.00 and got the following;
Under-slung axle
Upgraded A frame to the outback model.
a Step
and Mudflaps.

From what I can work out, I did not get the entire outback chassis, only the A frame.
This apparently has more to do with the legal coupler height, as on a standard A frame the couple is on top.
Outback A frame has it at the bottom.
With the 100mm lift, I think there is a coupler height issue.

That is about all I can add.
Other then that, I have been very happy with the decision to under-slung the axle.

Cheers

Darren

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Thanks for that Darren, just wondering what the weight is on your van with the underslung did make a big difference I noticed your profile pic that your tug is a territory is awd or rwd?

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi Danny,

Straight of the Compliance plate;
Tare: 1754 kg
GTM: 2014 kg
ATM: 2229 kg

I would be surprised if the Outback A Frame added much more the 50kg.

Territory is a RWD Diesel. Been towing the van for 18 months, no problems at all. Done Canberra to Adelaide return on its longest trip.

Cheers

Darren